More Shoehorns, Cosplay and Steam from LC2 for 2020 : Week 52 - Decorate(d)

Well as others have said. This weeks prize for being first out the starting box goes to ....
:D

Nice colourful image Tim (y)
It almost certainly won't happen again ;)
for being so quick!
Very colourful and slightly spooky looking spot... and what was going on behind the door? :oops: :$ The plot thickens...
Behind the door is the hording/fencing that blocks off that portal from the waste ground it opens up into, which is where the old marshalling yard bordered the remnants of Hounslow Heath. I did have a quick glance around to make sure Dick Turpin wasn't hanging about.
bang on theme for hidden, but why is there so much light in the tunnel?
No tripod with me, so I used the popup flash. I was quietly surprised/impressed that it did such a reasonable job.

So that’s where you keep the wife, great idea for the subject as these things are usually well hidden

Great image and bang on theme with Geocaching. Something I have always wanted to do but never quite got around to it.
I don't tend to do the actual searching, but more than happy to go on the walks (mostly - maybe not so much in burning heat).
So that’s where you keep the wife, great idea for the subject as these things are usually well hidden
This one was well hidden (as it would have to be in an area like this(1)). Took maybe 10 minutes to find it and we knew we were looking for it.

(1) A photo in the other direction would have shown a lot more detritus, including the remains of a car (I have no idea how they got it in there).

Good one, on theme. I see the challenge in geocaching but not sure I would like to search in this place.

Good one, on theme. I see the challenge in geocaching but not sure I would like to search in this place.
It's not a bad as it looks tbh. Though we did keep an eye out for needles (didn't see any).
Good work, Tim. A well-hidden item for fellow geocachers to find. I know someone is into geocaching too and some of the places he's been is amusing and I never knew they exist.
@minx has been doing geocaching for quite a few years, but it is niche.
Nicely done Tim. Great for the theme and lots of colour and interest.
It's a bit of a shame that it's just tagging here, rather than proper art.

Good for the theme and plenty of interest in the image, nice job.

First off the line, and a nice shot to boot. The story behind it (explaining it) is great as well (otherwise I'd have been very confused!)

Good for the theme and plenty of interest in the image, nice job.
First off the line, and a nice shot to boot. The story behind it (explaining it) is great as well (otherwise I'd have been very confused!)
Interesting shot and great for the theme.
Cheers everyone. It was nice to be able to get the shot. The thing with geocaching is you want to be socially distanced, as you don't want to advertise the cache to all and sundry/

Once again, another image of a household item that probably wouldn't have been so much of a household item before the whole Covid lockdown, nice clever use of the theme. I like the bokeh on this along with the composition and the fact that it is absolutely pin shharp. Nice job.

Once again, another image of a household item that probably wouldn't have been so much of a household item before the whole Covid lockdown, nice clever use of the theme. I like the bokeh on this along with the composition and the fact that it is absolutely pin shharp. Nice job.
Cheers Jim.
It was good of Canon (and Fuji) to bring out webcam drivers for their cameras to avoid having to buy hardware camlinks (which were all sold out anyway).
I was fortunate enough to have the mic available (well, it's really my daughter's as she had plans to get into voice acting), it does get mentioned in video calls.
This really is my video call set-up - I have just finished one before taking the shot.

The shot was deliberately taken at f/2 using the 50mm (on crop so 75mm equiv) to produce the shallow DoF like that.
I did check out the results using my 23mm f/2 and it was far less pleasing.
I contemplated attaching one of my canon zooms to blur even more, but felt it wasn't required.

Although not a household item in this house I am sure a lot of people are using them these days I know where I work they have regular zoom meetings which I choose to ignore. Bang on theme in a very up to date way

Although not a household item in this house I am sure a lot of people are using them these days I know where I work they have regular zoom meetings which I choose to ignore. Bang on theme in a very up to date way
And yet oddly we've had it for a couple of years. It gets far more use now though :)
Never had one in the flat, but a cool shot.
I got it looking how I wanted it, with the mic the focal point, but the 80D identifiable as the webcam.

Hidden
I bet it's all a bit creepy in the dark. A good colourful shot.

As said, this is definitely more of a regularly used item than previously. You must be popular for zoom calls with all the decent kit :)

It was good of Canon (and Fuji) to bring out webcam drivers for their cameras
I never knew that...
But as I don't and never have owned a web cam, I guess its not much use to me anyway :D

As others have said, its all more of a household item(s) than a few months ago, nice set up Tim.

This is also a household item for us these days, thanks to Covid and my daughter having to move home.... not that I ever use it.

I like the depth of field you've chosen. There's enough detail to give context whilst the eye is drawn to the mic.

I'm hosting my first zoom meeting this week... I'm now wondering if I have an equipment deficit :LOL:

Hidden
I bet it's all a bit creepy in the dark. A good colourful shot.
Just a tad - You can barely see one end from the other, you would NOT want to do it without a decent torch (We took maglites).

As said, this is definitely more of a regularly used item than previously. You must be popular for zoom calls with all the decent kit :)
I never knew that...
But as I don't and never have owned a web cam, I guess its not much use to me anyway :D

As others have said, its all more of a household item(s) than a few months ago, nice set up Tim.
This is also a household item for us these days, thanks to Covid and my daughter having to move home.... not that I ever use it.

I like the depth of field you've chosen. There's enough detail to give context whilst the eye is drawn to the mic.

I'm hosting my first zoom meeting this week... I'm now wondering if I have an equipment deficit :LOL:
@Bebop You have a 5d4. The webcam utility supports your camera.
it's pretty straightforward, once installed, you just need to switch from integrated webcam to the eos utility and Robert's your mother's brother.
It doesn't support audio though, so you would still need the laptop mic (or a headset if you have one)
@Cobra 7D2 is supported too
@HelenC I'm afraid the 5D2 isn't supported (nor is my 5D3), though I have heard people say that camera that aren't officially supported still work - you could try...
Oddly you still find most people don't use cams during work meetings (unless they are doing large presentations). It seems more is use for family, friends, events. In which case, being able to stick a wide angle on a decent camera could be quite handy.

Edited to add - Link to the utility
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/

Last edited:
@Cobra 7D2 is supported too
Select Windows 10 (x64), if not already detected, from the Operating System list.

That's me out anyway :D

Very nice Tim. I like the shallow DOF and the focus on the mic.
I'm happy to use the laptop camera for work meetings as I'm more out of focus!

Household. Nice sharp shot with splendid DoF. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the set up for?

Hidden. Didn't know Geocashing was still popular. Nice pic.

Last edited:
Agree with what others said, these items have suddenly become more common nowadays due to lockdown. Image wise, I like the focus on the mic with just the right amount of depth fo field.
Just how I wanted it. I did try other lenses to see what I got, but I kinda knew it would be the 50.
I wanted everything else obvious, yet oof.
Very nice Tim. I like the shallow DOF and the focus on the mic.
I'm happy to use the laptop camera for work meetings as I'm more out of focus!
Haha. To be honest, in the work meetings I've used it for, I'm the only one actually running the video. Everyone else has it switched off.
But hey, I'm an attention whore :)
Household. Nice sharp shot with splendid DoF. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the set up for?

Hidden. Didn't know Geocashing was still popular. Nice pic.
It's an OTT set up for video conferencing. I could use the built in webcam and mic (or headphone mic), but I can do far better than that using a decent condenser mic and the EOS80D

Good use of DOF to make the mic the subject.

from the You Tube program, Sanders Sides.
I've no idea what that is, I did wonder if it was a take on Romulus & Remus ?
Cracking idea, nice setting and nicely processed (y)

Last edited:
No idea either, I did look up "Sanders Sides" but it was just some guy talking, to be fair though I watched about 40 seconds of it.
As a photograph I like that its quite surreal, the strange scene and costumes. I would quite like to know what its about.

Your conference call set up puts mine significantly to shame - nice use of the DoF on it as well. And I really like the expressions on the YouTubers!

Great expression on the one in the background.
Great use of DoF... Nicely done.
Ta, the idea was to separate them using the subtle shift in focus and colour.
Great capture Tim, the back one looks slightly sinister, another fun shot.
I've no idea what that is, I did wonder if it was a take on Romulus & Remus ?
Cracking idea, nice setting and nicely processed (y)
No idea either, I did look up "Sanders Sides" but it was just some guy talking, to be fair though I watched about 40 seconds of it.
As a photograph I like that its quite surreal, the strange scene and costumes. I would quite like to know what its about.
So... to quote from the fandom wiki...
"A Side is the manifestation of a particular part of a personality. They are figments of the host's imagination. These Sides are invisible to other people, and only the video audience and the 'host' can see them, as evidenced in Can LYING Be Good??. Thomas Sanders' Sides are the core point of the series' deep lore."
It's not something I've watched, but the cosplayers here do and wanted to do a shoot (there are actually 3 of them, but in general the shots only had 1 or 2 of them at any one time).
The two in this shot are:
Roman Sanders - embodies Thomas' romantically creative side.
Remus Sanders - embodies Thomas' intrusively creative side. (Dark Side)
I think you get the feel for these personalities from the shot.
Your conference call set up puts mine significantly to shame - nice use of the DoF on it as well. And I really like the expressions on the YouTubers!
Well, I had the gear to hand, Canon made the use of a DSLR as a webcam possible, so I thought why not :)
The models here are cosplayers, not the actual you tuber (Thomas) their self.

Back