More Shoehorns, Cosplay and Steam from LC2 for 2020 : Week 52 - Decorate(d)

I think you get the feel for these personalities from the shot.
Absolutely, & thanks for the explanation too Tim. (y)

There I was shooting some kind of random purple plant when an Ivatt 2MT Photobombed the shot !
:LOL:
Look here Tim, I make NO excuses for my shoehorns :D

Amazing to find a train with bush growing out of its funnel :clap:

I've no idea wether its called a funnel or indeed if thats a bush

Very sharp image. What are those discs on the front of the train?

Amazing to find a train with bush growing out of its funnel :clap:

I've no idea wether its called a funnel or indeed if thats a bush
The tend to be called Chimneys on locomotives (I think you'll find funnel used in Thomas the Tank Engine books though).
The bush is actually a Yew Topiary which has been in place for over 120 years. I did know it was there, but it was really the only angle I could get shooting through the random purple plant. I also contemplated cloning it out (there is enough roof to make a reasonable job) but thought, "nah, it's been there all that time, it would be wrong to erase it from history".
Very sharp image. What are those discs on the front of the train?
The disks are train reporting headcodes that allow the signalers to identify the train by it's routing.
The headcode used on this one seems to indicate that the train is very lost, as it indicates:
Waterloo and Wimbledon via main line
Waterloo or Nine Elms and Southampton Docks via Brentford, Chertsey and Woking
Salisbury and Dorchester via Wimborne
Wimbledon or Durnsford Road Sidings and Waterloo
via main line (empty trains or light engines
Willesden or Neasden or Brent to main line stations beyond Woking via Kew East Junc and Chertsey (change at Woking or Basingstoke to headsignal for destination)

I think that theoretically the headcode should be a single disk on the bottom left bracket indicating:
Train Class 9 Pick up branch freight, officers special and ballast train required to stop in section.
as we spent the day shunting, marshaling, picking up and dropping off wagons along the line.

Snappers Choice: Great capture love the expressions on the faces.

Mother Nature: Great bit of Photo bombing there :D. Love the colours of the oof flowers against the darker colours of the loco.

Such a shame your perfect image was ruined... you can't trust those locos!

It's good that you didn't clone out the yew - at least there's something natural (almost) in focus!

How dare that train get in the way... thinking it would look all good in the photo and everything!

Now how did that get there lol.
Such a shame your perfect image was ruined... you can't trust those locos!
How dare that train get in the way... thinking it would look all good in the photo and everything!
:)
Snappers Choice: Great capture love the expressions on the faces.

Mother Nature: Great bit of Photo bombing there :D. Love the colours of the oof flowers against the darker colours of the loco.
It's good that you didn't clone out the yew - at least there's something natural (almost) in focus!
The out of focus floral technique is something I've used a number of times during cosplay photo shoots, but it had never occurred to me to use it on a railway image before. I took others where there was more and less emphasis on the flowers such as this one

Ivatt 2MT - 41312
by Tim White, on Flickr
where you can see they are letting the top of the topiary grow out so it can be re-shaped

Those bl**Dy trains, get everywhere. I do like the oof pink flowers.

nice idea not sure about the big red and white blurry thing but its growing on me.

nice idea not sure about the big red and white blurry thing but its growing on me.
Old style Level Crossing gates and paraffin lamp.
I placed them there to completely different in size (smaller and closer) in the shot.

I dd contemplate a tilt shift effect to give it the 'toy' appearance, but I'm not sure I like it as much.
073A0745_TS8x6.jpg

I dd contemplate a tilt shift effect to give it the 'toy' appearance, but I'm not sure I like it as much.
I was going to ask if it was tilt & shift, I think its almost there, as it is.
And I also think the 2nd one works best anyway (y)

Loving the Father Ted reference, but not a fan of the paraffin lamp I'm afraid. It's a little too dominant I'm afraid.
I can see where you're coming from with that.
I only watched that the other day. So is it small or just far away?
Both ;) It's one of the smaller locos on the line (the only smaller one being No.1).
I was going to ask if it was tilt & shift, I think its almost there, as it is.
And I also think the 2nd one works best anyway (y)
I really like the tilt shift one.
I wasn't sure on the TS, but it's growing on me over time.

Small
I don't mind the red oof lamp. I do like the father Ted reference.

Very clever use of the signs to fulfill the technique Tim and I really like the composition of the picture. Greens are reproduced very well better than my Sony can which never seams accurate with them.

Small - I like both image but No 2 just takes it for me. Cleverly thought out and set up.

Signs - Works for me nice us of DoF and the platform as leading line.

Small - no 2 my favourite with the toy look.

Signs - nice colours and country feel. Would have been even better if only a gent and lady had been getting off the train......

Nicely shoehorned train, Tim :D
And yes it works well for the tech too (y)

Back