More Tenerife Snapshots

nickEnackEnoo

Suspended / Banned
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I wanted to have a go at bracketing and all that HDR stuff, but decided to just post these from single shots instead. As said in another thread, I think they look a bit flat as they were all taken around midday. Maybe you could tell me what is also blatantly wrong with them (y)

It seems I have much to learn about landscape and HDR; I only bracketed by 0.3 or 0.7 which barely affects the shots :D I couldn't blooming see the rear screen well enough with the bright sun at the time. I did suspect they be a bit poo :( But i'll know next time I give it a go :)

have u got a nd filter nick??
No, i'm resisting making too many purchases until I feel happy in a particular genre and working out whether I'd be better off just planning future trips better. As ST4 says, time of day is a big factor and it's something I appreciate.

HDR isn't needed. The issue is the time of day these were shot, not the lack of HDR. A lower sun would impart richer light giving richer colours, more shadows and contrast.
I think I realised that while I was taking the shots, but kept plowing on; I even reverted to taking jpegs rather than RAW to save memory, as I didn't expect great result :D First time driving on the right for me, so getting up there earlier, or leaving late was a bit too daunting for me ;)

No, i'm resisting making too many purchases until I feel happy in a particular genre and working out whether I'd be better off just planning future trips better. As ST4 says, time of day is a big factor and it's something I appreciate.

I think I realised that while I was taking the shots, but kept plowing on; I even reverted to taking jpegs rather than RAW to save memory, as I didn't expect great result :D First time driving on the right for me, so getting up there earlier, or leaving late was a bit too daunting for me ;)

I braved driving up Teide for sunset and some star/Milky Way shots while on the island in September, was daunting at first but hardly passed and other vehicles going up and down. Was pitch black on my return, stopped off a few times, it was eerily quiet!!!

As mentioned, the time of day was the main stumbling block with these images. A return visit for sunset next time is a must.

[QUOTE="Mardybum, post: 7244461, member: 58101

As mentioned, the time of day was the main stumbling block with these images. A return visit for sunset next time is a must.[/QUOTE]

it's not just about sunset. If the sun is lower in the sky it will give much more texture and modelling to the landscape, long before the sun actually sets.

As has already been said. HDR is completely unnecessary here.
I've had a look at a couple and the exposure is fine. They're just a bit washed out due to the time of day. They work a little better if you drop the midtones and add a bit of contrast. I was going to upload one until I noticed you don't want your images edited. There's no substitute for nice light though.

It's a great fun to drive up those roads at max legal speed thrashing those horrible ancient rental bangers till they smoke and almost fall apart :)

Yeah, so the HDR is not the solution to the light. HDR doesn't change the light or composition. It just creates more additional problems. It is wastes time and should be avoided. Teide looks really terrific in the early morning light even from the beach level at the South of the island.

Did you take any images where you planned out the composition? I know it is tempting just to shoot rocks that may look quite impressive when you are there but they just look like a bit of random rock on the file.

Thanks for the comments folks.
I had originally intended growing some balls and going back later in the evening at some point, but one thing and another got in the way. I'm surprised just how much most of my shots do look just random rock to be honest, as I thought I had planned them to some extent; I suppose I just don't have an eye for it :D

Anyway, here's one I did rush up the TF82 to get, even though again, it doesn't really do justice to the actual spectacle. Oh and the Edit My Images is now on Yes (y)

It seems a dry barren location, looks difficult for anyone to get standout images even with better light. Needs some cloud and proper weather, like the UK!

Your last image. There is nice light on the mountains in the background. Unfortunately the sky is a bit of a non event. Is there any more data in the RAW file? From a composition point of view I'm afraid the foreground and middle-ground are both lacking any real interest with nothing there to give the rest of the shot any scale. It's difficult when faced with these vast panoramas to capture the mood of the place. But no one said good photography was easy. Lord knows I should know the rubbish I pump out. You have to try and find the shot. It will be there somewhere. Her's a couple to give you a few ideas about composition. They're not mine I should add.

nevada (1).jpg Nevada.jpg

Yeah, the sky was a bit empty for the best part of the week and there was something blown in from the sahara I heard someone mention, that created a kind of haze. It did freshen up after a cloudy Thursday morning, but by then I'd had enough chasing around and just chilled around the beach and went Whale watching.

That last photo I posted was from one of the photo points on a main road, but didn't offer much to my untrained eye ;)

Compositionally number 3 has something going for it, but the light & lens flare just kill it really.

We went to Andalucia last summer, and the landscape is absolutely wonderful to the point where you want to just spray the camera at any and everything. I came back with 1700 images, of which I'd be happy to show about 150 to the public and post about 10 on here (and I've sold a couple to people at work :) ). In retrospect a more considered approach would have reduced the amount of garbage, but it was a family holiday rather than a photographic expedition, and there wasn't often time for more than a quick shot or 2, nor opportunity for much golden hour work.

Thanks for the comments folks.
I had originally intended growing some balls and going back later in the evening at some point, but one thing and another got in the way. I'm surprised just how much most of my shots do look just random rock to be honest, as I thought I had planned them to some extent; I suppose I just don't have an eye for it :D

Anyway, here's one I did rush up the TF82 to get, even though again, it doesn't really do justice to the actual spectacle. Oh and the Edit My Images is now on Yes (y)

You have some amazing light on the mountain in the distance. Sadly the closer ground is all in the shade and really doesn't say much. They are sort of disconnected. Had you driven up over the green area you may have had something very rewarding.

Thanks again for the comments folks. Some good points to take on board, but above all, I think I need to focus more and think about what I want next time (y)

Back