Critique Morning at Chrome Hill and Parkhouse Hill, Peak District

Wow! I love this - so crisp and sharp throughout

My guess is that the lighting was more dramatic than this image shows, although I would also guess that it was taken in the middle of the day which is not the best time for photographing the landscape.

Maybe try a bit more contrast or the blacks slider in Lightroom to give it a bit more ooomph?

The central ridge is also a bit too central for my liking. You could crop it on the RHS which would also give more prominence to the attractive tree on the LHS.

My guess is that the lighting was more dramatic than this image shows, although I would also guess that it was taken in the middle of the day which is not the best time for photographing the landscape.

Maybe try a bit more contrast or the blacks slider in Lightroom to give it a bit more ooomph?

The central ridge is also a bit too central for my liking. You could crop it on the RHS which would also give more prominence to the attractive tree on the LHS.

You're right about the lighting being more dramatic - I'm using Affinity photo and for now this is a merge of three images, I need to set some time aside to actually learn how to use it properly as one of the images shows the sky how I wanted it, I think it might be doable through stacked images but will look into it. Thanks for the constructive thoughts :)

You have ruined the shadows on the land and they were one of the best things about the image IMO. Have another go and keep some nice deep shadows.

Ideally I would, but getting the sky right meant the land was very dark, this was my workaround.

Thats what ND grad filters are for they and they save time messing with stuff like this

You have ruined the shadows on the land and they were one of the best things about the image IMO. Have another go and keep some nice deep shadows.

Thats what ND grad filters are for they and they save time messing with stuff like this
Yeah next on my endless list of things to buy lol. Thanks for commenting :)

I will have a play around with just one of the raw files later.

Last edited:
I had a quick play around with contrast in Windows, looks a lot better. Will do it properly when i get home :)

I do think that's an improvement . There 's maybe a few tweaks you could make but I think the message here is that complex digital solutions are sometimes not the most effective.

One thing that's apparent is that it was taken in the middle of the day; you can tell by the length of the shadows. You will get better results when the sun is lower, towards the beginning and end of the day. (I don't mean the golden hour...by the way)

I do think that's an improvement . There 's maybe a few tweaks you could make but I think the message here is that complex digital solutions are sometimes not the most effective.

One thing that's apparent is that it was taken in the middle of the day; you can tell by the length of the shadows. You will get better results when the sun is lower, towards the beginning and end of the day. (I don't mean the golden hour...by the way)
I gladly take your points, thank you for making them. And while not perfect the tweaks made to just one of the images is more pleasing to me than the merged images. More and more practice required

I agree there should be darker shadows but the newly edited version goes too far - try and be gentler with your processing. You should be able to get away with one exposure here, if the foreground is dark you can use a grad filter in editing, if you don’t have a physical one. While I’d generally say shoot in the golden hours, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with photographing in the middle of the day if you’re getting spotlight effects on the landscape, the results can be very dramatic.

I think I would have cropped the right side but equally top and bottom. I sometimes take two images to blend skies but more often than not, I only use one as whites aren't fully blown or shadows can be pulled nicely.

Nice image.
46687664474_366a489766_c.jpg

However here i've added contrast and subtracted some yellow
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi J certainly is a very interesting landscape subject you have before you IMO I find the peak just to the right on the Horizon from Chrome Hill?? ps so is that Parkhouse Hill on horizon catching the eye?

Hi J certainly is a very interesting landscape subject you have before you IMO I find the peak just to the right on the Horizon from Chrome Hill?? ps so is that Parkhouse Hill on horizon catching the eye?
I'm pretty sure that Parkhouse Hill is the main subject of the pic with the sharp ridge running along the middle, and Chrome Hill is the one I was standing on (it's much higher, but it was so windy there was no point taking the pic from higher up). It's a cracking area, it was my first visit.

I think I would have cropped the right side but equally top and bottom. I sometimes take two images to blend skies but more often than not, I only use one as whites aren't fully blown or shadows can be pulled nicely.
I got jpegs and raw so will have a proper play with the raw file

I normally don't disagree with you but it seems more than punchy enough. - The alternate edit is too much for my eyes. It's to me an image that really brings you there - I really like it but would like it more in Autumn or high summer. The bare trees don't work.

I'm pretty sure that Parkhouse Hill is the main subject of the pic with the sharp ridge running along the middle, and Chrome Hill is the one I was standing on (it's much higher, but it was so windy there was no point taking the pic from higher up). It's a cracking area, it was my first visit.

Agree with the wind I was thinking on the lines of dropping down a little more tighter framed tree and parkhouse hill

Back