Moscow (with new pics)

Edit My Images
Yes
A few from the weekend in Moscow:

1. Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. I was about to give up for the night when the lights on the bridge suddenly came on
Christ The Saviour by Ian, on Flickr

2. Kremlin Towers at Sunset. I think this is an almost unique shot. Except for the twenty or so other photographers lined up next to me taking exactly the same picture...
Kremlin Towers at Dusk by Ian, on Flickr

3. Kremlin at dawn. Same subject, different bridge, this time on my own very early in the morning
Kremlin at dawn by Ian, on Flickr

4. St Basil's Cathedral, Red Square at Dawn
St Basil's III by Ian, on Flickr

All with a Fuji XT1 and either a 16-50 or 50-230mm

Excellent set, Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is a cracker ;)

Impressive stuff, Ian… (y)
just a tad oversaturated. :cool:

Nice set

"Excellent" set of images Sir, nuff said.(y)

George.

They're all great Ian, but the blue hour shots are doing it for me, especially #1. The later bunch are fine as well, and what a contrast of architecture styles in the mono banking quarter shot. Not sure if you meant it, but I'm really appreciating the contrast of the older colourful buildings with the grey modernity of the banking quarter, since this would be flipping the concept of the "old, grey" Soviet Union.

They're all great Ian, but the blue hour shots are doing it for me, especially #1. The later bunch are fine as well, and what a contrast of architecture styles in the mono banking quarter shot. Not sure if you meant it, but I'm really appreciating the contrast of the older colourful buildings with the grey modernity of the banking quarter, since this would be flipping the concept of the "old, grey" Soviet Union.

To be quite honest, the Moscow City banking quarter shot looked dull in colour as the light was so flat, so I went contrasty black and white. But I am now going to shamelessly steal your idea and claim it was a deliberate contrast with the colourful Soviet buildings.

I was amazed how good the older buildings looked. Moscow doesn't seem to do "small" and everything is on an epic scale (especially their traffic jams), but the tower blocks are particularly wonderful and positioned to impress. Plus their cathedrals look so different to western ones they stand out. Good weather helps though, I had one day of solid rain and unfortunately everything looked old, Soviet grey.

A very nice set indeed. The first is my pick, I love that, great lead in with the bridge and onto the Cathedral. None of them are shabby though, I'd love to go there.

Did you get inside any of the buildings, particularly the Cathedrals?

Did you get inside any of the buildings, particularly the Cathedrals?

Thanks Dale, I'm afraid I didn't go inside any of the cathedrals, though I was tempted to try and see inside the Ukraine hotel but ran short of time. I went inside GUM, the massive department store but it was nothing special, just a load of smaller shops selling the same high end global brands. You can tour the Kremlin but again, I didn't have time. Moscow is well worth the visit. Loads to see and do and the centre at least is full of interesting architecture/places to photograph. Winter must be pretty stunning with the snow, and summer would bring out the colours in the buildings. I fancy a trip to St Petersburg now...

Back