Moss Force Storm

glug!!
couldnt have been better composed...
cheers
geof

"Cracking" shot Sir, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

That right up my street and definitely beats a blue sky Stuart :D ,,, I hope you didn't get too wet, but cracking reward.

That right up my street and definitely beats a blue sky Stuart :D ,,, I hope you didn't get too wet, but cracking reward.

I don't agree but we're all different.

It's a well composed and exposed image and a different take on a well shot area.

Probably one for LPOTY/OPOTY where images like this do well.

Crit wise I think a different aspect would suit taking just some of the sky off. Say 5x7 or 4x5

glug!!
couldnt have been better composed...
cheers
geof
Thanks Geof

"Cracking" shot Sir, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.
Cheers George

Thanks Paul, blue sky would have been alot more comfortable that's for sure! Got drenched if I'm honest

I don't agree but we're all different.

It's a well composed and exposed image and a different take on a well shot area.

Probably one for LPOTY/OPOTY where images like this do well.

Crit wise I think a different aspect would suit taking just some of the sky off. Say 5x7 or 4x5
If you mean Buttermere being well shot I'd agree but Moss Force certainly isn't, I've shot there repeatedly for over a year trying to get the right conditions and I've not seen a soul there other than the odd cyclist or fellwalker. As far as the crop goes it's already at 5x7, cropped anymore and I'd be losing some of the drama in sky which I didn't want to do.

Super shot.
Thanks Ian

Thanks Paul, blue sky would have been alot more comfortable that's for sure! Got drenched if I'm honest.

Sorry to hear that Stuart, but I'm sure the soggy walk home to wherever this is to the car park? was worth it. Had a few myself and in truth thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'm sure I'm not well sometimes :)

Great shot with lovely depth.
Thanks very much

Stuart
I am loving that
Cheers Alf

Cracking shot (y)
Cheers Anthony

Thanks Paul, blue sky would have been alot more comfortable that's for sure! Got drenched if I'm honest.

Sorry to hear that Stuart, but I'm sure the soggy walk home to wherever this is to the car park? was worth it. Had a few myself and in truth thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'm sure I'm not well sometimes :)
Not too bad, got drenched but not a long walk, lay by is only 200yds away. Still amazes me more don't come here given how accessible it is

Not too bad, got drenched but not a long walk, lay by is only 200yds away. Still amazes me more don't come here given how accessible it is[/QUOTE]

Just googled it and know exactly where that is now although didn't realise it was called that. I always go past and try and get an image along the road on the right hand side with a few small trees but can never get a composition that looks good.

Lovely shot that full of drama and atmosphere. It probably would do well in LPOTY or OPOTY because classy shots tend to do well. 8th of July is the closing date. ;)
There's lots to like throughout the frame but the icing on the cake for me is the wet glossy road leading in to the distance.

Not too bad, got drenched but not a long walk, lay by is only 200yds away. Still amazes me more don't come here given how accessible it is

Just googled it and know exactly where that is now although didn't realise it was called that. I always go past and try and get an image along the road on the right hand side with a few small trees but can never get a composition that looks good.[/QUOTE]
Yeah to get to the spot I've shot this from requires a small scramble, in dry weather it's a doddle but in these conditions it can be somewhat hazardous, very boggy ground on a steep hill so you've got to kind of anchor yourself into the hillside to avoid sliding down the bank.

Lovely shot that full of drama and atmosphere. It probably would do well in LPOTY or OPOTY because classy shots tend to do well. 8th of July is the closing date. ;)
There's lots to like throughout the frame but the icing on the cake for me is the wet glossy road leading in to the distance.
Thanks Scott, yep this is one of the images I'll be entering in LPOTY, good luck with yours (y)

Well done Stuart.
Best landscape shot I have seen in ages.
Thanks Peter much appreciated

Thanks Scott, yep this is one of the images I'll be entering in LPOTY, good luck with yours (y)
You too Stuart, cheers. Mine in already, poured over the shortlisted images for weeks on and off tweaking here and there. Got sick of looking at them so piled them all in last weekend.
As every year I only hope to make the book but it gets harder and harder every year, anything extra is a bonus but unlikely to do as well as last year.

You too Stuart, cheers. Mine in already, poured over the shortlisted images for weeks on and off tweaking here and there. Got sick of looking at them so piled them all in last weekend.
As every year I only hope to make the book but it gets harder and harder every year, anything extra is a bonus but unlikely to do as well as last year.
Yeah I've been back and forth a bit on mine, pretty much sorted now though. Yeah you'll do well to repeat last years showing, some fantastic work. As you say, making the book would be nice - if I can make it in this one in addition to making the OPOTY book I'll be more than happy with that.

Wow, that's a corker Stuart
I tried playing with the composition by moving the image up and down the page, but kept coming back to the original as I think it couldn't be bettered.
Any change, alteration by removal just detracted from the power within the image for me.
Well done for getting out there!

Well that's absolutely stunning, as Wookie said all those elements, composed beautifully and exposed perfectly. I love the light over the first ridge, cracking, and the drama of the shot. All the repeated visits waiting for the right conditions has paid off. That is great work Stuart! I have really enjoyed viewing this!

I must say there are a number of photographers on here that really inspire me and when I'm in the doldrums it's great to come here and look through this excellent work, it's good for the soul. Unfortunately there isn't much wilderness down South:( so keep the shots coming!

Wow, that's a corker Stuart
I tried playing with the composition by moving the image up and down the page, but kept coming back to the original as I think it couldn't be bettered.
Any change, alteration by removal just detracted from the power within the image for me.
Well done for getting out there!
Thanks pal yep worth the soaking for sure

Well that's absolutely stunning, as Wookie said all those elements, composed beautifully and exposed perfectly. I love the light over the first ridge, cracking, and the drama of the shot. All the repeated visits waiting for the right conditions has paid off. That is great work Stuart! I have really enjoyed viewing this!

I must say there are a number of photographers on here that really inspire me and when I'm in the doldrums it's great to come here and look through this excellent work, it's good for the soul. Unfortunately there isn't much wilderness down South:( so keep the shots coming!
Cheers mate yeah it must be hard yearning for some hills to get up when you're down there. Some great coastlines though? But if the hills are your passion then nothings going to change that I guess!

Right up my street that mate, nice one! Not a lot to crit really. I'd look at a 4x5 and lose a bit off the top of the sky, but that's because I'm on a 4x5 thing at the mo! Awesome.
Thanks Martin, I did try 4x5, in the end settled with this just to give the curve of light at the top a bit more breathing room though 4x5 would have looked perfectly acceptable also. (y)

Cheers mate yeah it must be hard yearning for some hills to get up when you're down there. Some great coastlines though? But if the hills are your passion then nothings going to change that I guess!
Yeah your dead right, Yes its true there is some good spots down the Jurassic coast not so far. However I love the mountains, and used to rock climb a far bit but getting a bit long in the tooth now:eek::(. Still its makes it all the more enjoyable when I get back up there (August i'm in the Peak District) cant wait(y)

Another dramatic and unique Lake District image, keep it up Stuart.

Your processing is clearly your style and your choice. The only thing I would try and do is neutralise a little of the green and almost slightly sepia tones in the clouds and water to give it some colour separation.

Another dramatic and unique Lake District image, keep it up Stuart.

Your processing is clearly your style and your choice. The only thing I would try and do is neutralise a little of the green and almost slightly sepia tones in the clouds and water to give it some colour separation.
Thanks Craig - I tried to raise the luminence of what little yellow there was to separate a touch, I've not done any split toning on this so any sepia tint in the clouds is probably from what little sunlight there was trying to creep through. The slight issue which is always the case at the spot is it doesn't get much light other than first thing in the morning so it can be in deep shadow alot, even more so under thick cloud.

I'll have a play with the greens and the water a touch in my own time now to see what they look like, though I couldn't go too mad with the editing of natural colours etc. to start with as it was going in LPOTY.

though I couldn't go too mad with the editing of natural colours etc. to start with as it was going in LPOTY.

Good luck with it mate.

I really struggled with the vague rules of lpoty classic view versus your view.

Especially regarding cloning. They state for classic view you can't remove a fence for example it has to be the landscape as seen.

But what about a distracting small bright stone in the foreground?

In the film days I would have picked it up and thrown it to one side, same with breaking off errant blades of grass. With digital it's less effort to clone them out later.

But for fear of falling foul of the rules I have put a lot of classic views (imo) into your view. Which I actually think should be reserved for more creative digital work or very personal unique interetpretations of the landscape.

I'm sure it's all academic anyway but some more clarity would be better.

Good luck with it mate.

I really struggled with the vague rules of lpoty classic view versus your view.

Especially regarding cloning. They state for classic view you can't remove a fence for example it has to be the landscape as seen.

But what about a distracting small bright stone in the foreground?

In the film days I would have picked it up and thrown it to one side, same with breaking off errant blades of grass. With digital it's less effort to clone them out later.

But for fear of falling foul of the rules I have put a lot of classic views (imo) into your view. Which I actually think should be reserved for more creative digital work or very personal unique interetpretations of the landscape.

I'm sure it's all academic anyway but some more clarity would be better.
It's a bloody minefield - I had one image which I shot straight into the rising sun - despite use of a lens hood etc the only effective way to remove the flare from the shot was to shoot two frames and blend, with one using the 'thumb over the sun' trick - i've not removed any part of the landscape or the integrity of the scene but have clearly had to remove my thumb from one of the frames as a tool to remove flare, is it classic or your view? In the end I played safe with your view but felt it should really have been in classic view but didn't want to risk it being DQ'd. Totally agree with it being vague

It's a bloody minefield - I had one image which I shot straight into the rising sun - despite use of a lens hood etc the only effective way to remove the flare from the shot was to shoot two frames and blend, with one using the 'thumb over the sun' trick - i've not removed any part of the landscape or the integrity of the scene but have clearly had to remove my thumb from one of the frames as a tool to remove flare, is it classic or your view? In the end I played safe with your view but felt it should really have been in classic view but didn't want to risk it being DQ'd. Totally agree with it being vague

Arguably what you achieved with the blend of 2 shots was to make it more like the eye saw it than how the camera disrupted it with the flare in the glass.

I too would have put it in your view but think the rules should be modified/clarified to allow techniques like this in classic view. Just so long as the integrity of the scene isn't altered.

I had an urban image of a cobbled street that I felt should have gone in the urban category, it was a timeless photo apart from one thing, a car that needed cloning out. So I put it in your view. The worry is that your view will be overwhelmed with entries and classic/urban could miss out.

However if I had found the owner of said car and persuaded them to move it precaptue then the shot would be ok in urban view. But I have still meddled with the scene as I found it to the same extent as cloning the car!

I had an urban image of a cobbled street that I felt should have gone in the urban category, it was a timeless photo apart from one thing, a car that needed cloning out. So I put it in your view. The worry is that your view will be overwhelmed with entries and classic/urban could miss out.
Tough one, the die hards and probably (i'm just guessing) those running LPOTY would argue you should have gone back another day and shot it without the car etc or even recomposed at the time of capture if it was to go in classic - of course we know that always isn't possible and it's where you personally draw the line at 'compromising the integrity of the landscape'. It should be clearer - in your case i'd argue that a random car probably isn't, but if its size was significant and it needed major work then probably your view is correct (i'm guessing it wasn't that big?)

Last edited:
Awesome image. Power, drama, composition, the light all come together to make an excellent representation of the conditions and place. Well worth a soaking for that one.

Arguably what you achieved with the blend of 2 shots was to make it more like the eye saw it than how the camera disrupted it with the flare in the glass.

I too would have put it in your view but think the rules should be modified/clarified to allow techniques like this in classic view. Just so long as the integrity of the scene isn't altered.

However if I had found the owner of said car and persuaded them to move it precaptue then the shot would be ok in urban view. But I have still meddled with the scene as I found it to the same extent as cloning the car!

Reading the rules of LPOTY I can't see any reason why this couldn't have gone into Classic View. If all you have done is merge two images together, i.e. HDR/ blending etc/ and just used your thumb to remove flare then what's the problem?

They ask for the raw files for Classic View and would clearly be able to see that the integrity of the image has been retained and not in any way manipulated.

This is what they say:

The integrity of the subject must be maintained and the making of physical changes to the landscape is not permitted. You may not, for example, remove fences, move trees or strip in the sky from another image. Digital adjustments including dodging & burning, changes to tone & contrast and cropping are allowed, as are High Dynamic Range imaging techniques, stitched panoramas and focus stacking. We will require the RAW file(s) or original camera jpeg(s) for any shortlisted image in these three categories and TAV reserves the right to disqualify any image that they feel lacks authenticity due to over-manipulation.

Back