Most interesting subject of 2019

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
A bit of a risk me starting this 2 days before the end of the year - but I doubt I will find anything amazing tomorrow (although I did photograph bumblebees today).
This is my most interesting subject - not the best photo of 2019.
What is yours?
It is Gymnosoma rotundatum, the reason why it is interesting is because according to
http://tachinidae.org.uk/blog/?page_id=343&q=11402&t=brcno&page=1.

It had only once been seen in Kent before this year - sadly I didn't see any paratised shield bugs, I saw it on allotments - hopefully the habitat is good for it. I only saw it once - obviously next year I will keep an eye out for it.

FlyIMG_0685 by davholla2002, on Flickr

FlyIMG_0676 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Well spotted David. Good research to find out it was so unusual where you are.

One of the problems I've been having with invertebrates is the reducing variety of what I'm seeing. To the extent that I can tell the difference (which as you know is limited!) it seems to have been the same few species over and over for a couple of years now, or longer perhaps. I find it a bit demotivating. I'm going to try to visit a wider range of places in 2020 and see if that improves matters.

As to my most interesting subject in 2019, perhaps this one. Something I've never seen before; an Earth tongue fungus I think.

1569 11 2019_11_08 P1109746 79f C2-EditACAI-EditPS LR 1300h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1569 12 2019_11_08 P1109734 31f C2-EditACAI LR 1300h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Well spotted David. Good research to find out it was so unusual where you are.

Thank you - although I just put it on the UK diptera forum - have you considering changing what is in your garden to get more invertebrates? I find various plants - apple trees, raspberries, ivy, gooseberry, purple loosestrife to be great - without them I would have a lot less visiting my small garden.

Thank you - although I just put it on the UK diptera forum - have you considering changing what is in your garden to get more invertebrates? I find various plants - apple trees, raspberries, ivy, gooseberry, purple loosestrife to be great - without them I would have a lot less visiting my small garden.

I've always left the choice of plants to my wife, but that is a good idea; I will talk to her about it. Thanks for the nudge.

I had to choose between 2 and this one won.

I was out looking for damsels and I came acros this spider that had just snared a damsel. I was suprised by this as I've seen damsels take bigger prey than this teeny spder. I spent an interesting 10 minutes watching the fight, the spider won. I had to resist the urge to interfere.

tp.jpg

I had to choose between 2 and this one won.

I was out looking for damsels and I came acros this spider that had just snared a damsel. I was suprised by this as I've seen damsels take bigger prey than this teeny spder. I spent an interesting 10 minutes watching the fight, the spider won. I had to resist the urge to interfere.

View attachment 264557

Nice one Dale and it can be fascinating observing the developments

Back