Most photographed area in UK?

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone with a UK/British passport will certainly recognise this as its on one of the first pages.
Just before the London and then most of UK went into Tier 4 COVID restrictions we managed to get away for a "staycation" in Cotswold.
It was a nice way to end a rather long-ish year.

Bibury is small village in Cotswold, UK and they claim this spot i.e. the Arlington Row to be one of the most photographed areas in Britain. No sure how true this is but certainly seemed popular with tourists especially so considering the pandemic.

50782632518_857a6b73b8_b.jpg

50783389921_3c25fb7fce_b.jpg

50783496727_2a5259939c_b.jpg

I really like that first B&W conversion Anand (y)

It's very photogenic, but I wouldn't have been able to name the location other than cotswolds.
I wonder if most photos by subject are actually of various london landmarks or maybe Stonehenge from sheer numbers there year round (usually).

I really like that first B&W conversion Anand (y)

Thank you :)

It's very photogenic, but I wouldn't have been able to name the location other than cotswolds.
I wonder if most photos by subject are actually of various london landmarks or maybe Stonehenge from sheer numbers there year round (usually).

Yeah they seem a bit more popular these days but there were a fair number of International tourists here too. so I can very well believe its somewhat popular among tourists.
Being "local" I guess we never know what's really popular outside the country.

Nope. Not on mine.

Probably depends on the year, version etc.
If you google it in image (eg: "Arlington row British passport") you see plenty examples :)
I guess you just missed out :ROFLMAO:

I guess you just missed out :ROFLMAO:

Looks like poor timing when I got my first passport - it eventually left me with a renewal scheduled to get me the in-between front cover in the burgundy clour but with the reference to the EU removed.

We accidentally drove through Bibury in August on the way back from visiting Bath (sat nav avoiding the M4). It was bit of a surprise coming across the village and also all the jets at Cotswold airport too.

I did something less extreme and cloned them out :ROFLMAO:
Was the car next to the White House on the right in the second photo? There seems to be what looks like a smudge in that place. With the black and white conversion its looks ok as B&W conversion gives an old photo appearance. With modern objects in a preserved area it doesn't always look right when old and new is mixed so you have done well considering the constraints.

Was the car next to the White House on the right in the second photo? There seems to be what looks like a smudge in that place. With the black and white conversion its looks ok as B&W conversion gives an old photo appearance. With modern objects in a preserved area it doesn't always look right when old and new is mixed so you have done well considering the constraints.

yes that's indeed the place where I cloned. In fact there were two cars not just one which made it bit more of a challenge.
While I can get away with it I am not entirely happy.... I will give in another go later on when I have a bit more time.

I remember the controversy about the local resident who bought a bright yellow Fiat Cinquecento (I may be misremembering exactly!) and parked it outside the tiny cottage in pic 2, causing much consternation among photographers and tourists. I think it even got vandalised at one point.

I have never heard of the area, but I must say from your photos it is somewhere I would like to go!

With the moss on the roofs, even to the way they sag and differences in height, it looks like what I would imagine somewhere upmarket in the 1700's to look. I am an amateur at best, but my favourite is actually the colour photo.

You can always pick up a nice trout from the trout farm in the village too. :)

I wouldn't have been able to get as far as the Cotswolds! I've never lived in England, spent most of my adult life in other countries and had to look at a map to see where it is. Picturesque, yes, but not for me. Far too 'chocolate box' pretty...

Most photographed location? I don't know but the Tower of London, Buck House, Edinburgh Castle and a few other places must be in contention?

Reactions: 4wd
I have never heard of the area, but I must say from your photos it is somewhere I would like to go!

With the moss on the roofs, even to the way they sag and differences in height, it looks like what I would imagine somewhere upmarket in the 1700's to look. I am an amateur at best, but my favourite is actually the colour photo.
Thank you and I'm glad to have piqued your interest in the area :)
It's a very nice small place, experience ruined by tourists (yes I kinda fall into that category too, guilty as charged).

I wouldn't have been able to get as far as the Cotswolds! I've never lived in England, spent most of my adult life in other countries and had to look at a map to see where it is. Picturesque, yes, but not for me. Far too 'chocolate box' pretty...

Most photographed location? I don't know but the Tower of London, Buck House, Edinburgh Castle and a few other places must be in contention?

Yes I imagine London is fairly well ahead :D
Not to mention it's more accessible. Though that doesn't seem to have stopped tourists.

Your style or not for photography, it's a very nice part of the country for a staycation especially during the pandemic. I can recommend this for anyone looking to get away from the cities and relax. Getting pictures wasn't really our main goal for the trip, just wanted to recharge our batteries for 2021 :)

Looks lovely, I must try and get there some time and take a selfie.

You'll have to get in the line or do what I did and wait for rain. Make sure your phone is waterproof though :ROFLMAO:

You can always pick up a nice trout from the trout farm in the village too. :)

The trout farm was intriguing... Mostly because I'd never come across one! Don't eat meat so we didn't get very far into it lol

Last edited:
Yes, it is always busy with tourists throughout the year buses and cars fighting for parking spaces. There's not much to the village apart from Arlington row / Trout farm / Swan hotel. Did you get to go to Castle Combe ? again it has lots of tourists but it's a pretty village

Yes, it is always busy with tourists throughout the year buses and cars fighting for parking spaces. There's not much to the village apart from Arlington row / Trout farm / Swan hotel. Did you get to go to Castle Combe ? again it has lots of tourists but it's a pretty village

No we decided not to visit in the end after the experience here. Tourists were rather disrespectful and while that in itself doesn't affect us they had no regard for social distancing. Even as we tried to distance ourselves they just didn't get the hint. So we decided we didn't want to risk it any further.

Back