Mother's Day Thievery

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Daughter helped herself to mummy's flowers... saw her planning her skullduggery so I set up the softbox outside for the inevitable, "look what I've got" moment...

Izzy #1
by Paul M, on Flickr

Izzy #2
by Paul M, on Flickr

Izzy #3
by Paul M, on Flickr

Izzy #4
by Paul M, on Flickr

C&C very welcome as they're some of the first setup shots I've done for about 6 months and I'm definitely out of practice... Desperately trying not to lose all momentum of getting myself out there and shooting.

Lovely, sorry cannot offer any cc but beautiful moment captured with nice colours.

Lovely, sorry cannot offer any cc but beautiful moment captured with nice colours.
Thanks Kev.

I know I go overboard with f/1.4 and this series is probably a case in point... but once I've set the flash up at that aperture it becomes a bit of a pain to start stopping down and adjusting. Although at 100 ISO I had plenty of headroom to tweak that alongside, I guess. Or I could have taken off my 2-stop ND!

You don't seem rusty to me fella ;-)
Loving the backlight in her hair.

Gaz

Has to be number two for me, love the pose, the cheekiness of it all. Also I prefer the flower being in focus. the OOF flower in the others kinda distracts me. That said this really is a superb set and I would love to have taken similar myself.

Wow, thank you Gary and BMG - very kind of you. I was pleased with the light placement (as well as being able to nail focus on a moving subject at f/1.4) given I've been out of the game for a fair while. You're right that f/1.4 doesn't really work with the flower when it's out-of-plane. Still, a fun exercise.

Cheers all (y)

Number 4 all the way, what an expression, cheeky, impish and full of fun - one of the rare occasions imo I think an oof foreground works well. A Gorgeous little girl full of joy. Love the use of shallow DoF too, so no complaints from me there either.

Minor nitpick - the WB looks a tad off to me, maybe ... a bit cool perhaps, her skin is just a smidge blue/grey ish ...

Great set.

OK, well, ...just about the cutest kid ever!

Number 4 all the way, what an expression, cheeky, impish and full of fun - one of the rare occasions imo I think an oof foreground works well. A Gorgeous little girl full of joy. Love the use of shallow DoF too, so no complaints from me there either.

Minor nitpick - the WB looks a tad off to me, maybe ... a bit cool perhaps, her skin is just a smidge blue/grey ish ...

Great set.

Hi Paul, thanks for the comments which are very kind and helpful. Yes, WB was probably "ok" before I added split toning. Normally she has very rosy cheeks (and a predliction for pink, as you can tell) so I tend to knock the reds down a touch - both in saturation and with a bit of S/T. I think I overdid the latter, perhaps (240 degree highlights and 40 degree lowlights @ 10%).

OK, well, ...just about the cutest kid ever!

Thanks Viv, although I'm biased :) I really do need to get my mojo back for photography before she grows up and doesn't want her photo taken (or, more likely, charges for it!)

Love the 2nd shot, as yet get all the photos now you can. Mine are 10 & 6 and either hide or full on pose, so trying to get anything natural looking is really difficult.

The expressions are wonderful and moment nicely captured. Technically the OOF definitely distracts a lot. I wish the second photo was with sufficient DOF.

Love the 2nd shot, as yet get all the photos now you can. Mine are 10 & 6 and either hide or full on pose, so trying to get anything natural looking is really difficult.

Thanks Lee - yes, am already there with my six year old son! But our daughter seems far less camera shy... so far!

The expressions are wonderful and moment nicely captured. Technically the OOF definitely distracts a lot. I wish the second photo was with sufficient DOF.

Thanks for looking and the constructive feedback. All good to improve the next time and I really should bite the bullet and vary the aperture. No excuse as I could have gone to f/5.6 simply by taking off the two stop and going to 400 ISO!

Back