Moto GP - Silverstone Practice and Qualifying

Name
Moved
Edit My Images
No
Judging by the amount of cameras on show on Friday and Saturday I guess there will be many threads on this subject. I hired a Sigma 150-600 lens for the week-end coupled mostly with my 7D and a few with my 5D Mark II. I walked the top part of the circuit both days but good vantage points were hard to find given that the organisers saw fit to cover a lot of the fencing around the loop leading onto the Wellington straight with green webbing, apparently to stop people stopping to watch the racing!).

Marc Marquez
21008220735_36b15b80fd_b.jpg

20820315588_d941311791_b.jpg

Valentino Rossi
20998340322_435f2d91bb_b.jpg

20998340192_591c6cdfb0_b.jpg

Scott Redding
20385605954_c6e6e61c8d_b.jpg

Bradley Smith
20820314998_714f95caef_b.jpg

Jorge Lorenzo
20821425629_f76edbdb84_b.jpg

Fantastic series of shots. Scott has elbow well down. What did you think of the Sigma lens? Obviously results are great.

Fantastic series of shots. Scott has elbow well down. What did you think of the Sigma lens? Obviously results are great.

Hi Rod
Thanks for the comments. I already have a Sigma 500mm lens but thought I might want the extra reach of the 150-600 at Silverstone. I have read on a few reviews that the 150-600 doesn't actually reach a real 600mm and I have to say the difference between the lenses is minimal at the telephoto end although the 150-600 has IS, which is lacking on the 500mm. Obviously benefits are that it is a zoom!
Was a bit disappointed at the ratio of keepers especially in a high fps burst but maybe that is as much down to me.
I don't think I would buy it but I might hire it again next year as it only cost about £60 for 3 days hire.

Last edited:
Love seeing the deflection in the rear tyre #38 Smith nice set

Hi Rod
Thanks for the comments. I already have a Sigma 500mm lens but thought I might want the extra reach of the 150-600 at Silverstone. I have read on a few reviews that the 150-600 doesn't actually reach a real 600mm and I have to say the difference between the lenses is minimal at the telephoto lens although the 150-600 has IS, which is lacking on the 500mm. Obviously benefits are that it is a zoom!
Was a bit disappointed at the ratio of keepers especially in a high fps burst but maybe that is as much down to me.
I don't think I would buy it but I might hire it again next year as it only cost about £60 for 3 days hire.
Thanks for getting back. Might try hiring myself. Thinking of getting 7d2 so see how it goes with that. Once again a great set of pics.

Enjoyed them all but if you can't be bothered to number them, I can't be arsed to tell you my favs!

Great shots, love the angles especially the one you got of Scott Redding & Lorenzo , brilliant set , I would be well chuffed with them :)

Great shots, love the angles especially the one you got of Scott Redding & Lorenzo , brilliant set , I would be well chuffed with them :)

Redding and Lorenzo for me too. Fantastic images.

Redding & Lorenzo for me too, impressive to see them cranked over so far.

Love seeing the deflection in the rear tyre #38 Smith nice set

Thanks for the positive feedback. The Redding and Lorenzo photos are taken at the loop before they exit onto the Wellington straight.

Enjoyed them all but if you can't be bothered to number them, I can't be arsed to tell you my favs!

Apologies Mike. I had wrongly assumed that forum members could count up to seven :)

love the shots , first time there Friday myself learned a lot ready for nxt time :oops: :$

great shots, have to agree they have made it very awkward to get decent shots

Thanks Roly. Yes it seems to be getting worse year on year. I had quite a chat with the spectator marshals at Luffield (photographed in the empty disabled enclosure along with several others) and the Loop (where I was told I could stop to take a few photos but if people were "taking the p*** by staying for a long time they would be moved on"). I know they are only following orders from above but they seemed a bit embarrassed by saying spectators shouldn't stop to take photos but they would turn a blind eye. Also has a smile when one of the marshals said if one photographer stopped then another twenty would soon follow. I replied along the lines of so what harm would twenty photographers do behind two sets of barriers. As it was I stayed most of the session at the Loop without being asked to move along. Anyway Circuit of Wales may be ready next year...hmmmm!!!!
BTW: I like your set of images. Canon glass definitely looks sharper than Sigma glass (as you would expect for the extra money).

love the shots , first time there Friday myself learned a lot ready for nxt time :oops: :$

Thanks for your comments Graham.

Back