MotoGP - Silverstone 2018

Edit My Images
Yes
We braved the weather and after a good day with the camera on Friday and Saturday we spent 6 hours on Sunday shivering in the rain hoping to get some circuit action. We gave up and headed home 30 minutes before they
officially abandoned racing for the day. We got some images and any comments or critique would be very welcome. Hopefully we can get some better ones next year.

All taken handheld on a D7100 with a Sigma 150-600 from LensesforHire, thanks StewartR for getting us closer to the action

01279.jpg

01291.jpg

01294.jpg

01297.jpg

01335.jpg

01490.jpg

01508.jpg

01555.jpg

Awesome work. I'm seeing a blue/magenta cast on some of them on my monitor but might be my side. 3+5 are great but 8 is a topper, will always be good when you can see the eyes.;)

Awesome work. I'm seeing a blue/magenta cast on some of them on my monitor but might be my side. 3+5 are great but 8 is a topper, will always be good when you can see the eyes.;)

Nope I'm seeing that too, they're nice and sharp with good compositions but the white balance is way off

Thanks Dale, it was bright enough on Fri/Sat for most of the riders to use dark tinted visors, great for them but it's meant we had no chance of seeing their eyes.

I'm looking at the post on an iPad screen now and can see the tint you mentioned but couldn't on my monitors at home. Very frustrating. I've been thinking about a monitor calibrator for a while. I've always been put off by the thought that I can set mine up perfectly but a majority of people won't have theirs set to match so where's the real benefit? It will soon be time to be dropping hints for Christmas so I might add that to the list.:LOL:.

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Thanks RichardC27, that's interesting, and I'm grateful for the pointer to the white balance being off. Is that lost, I as I should have got it right in camera, or can a little 'Lightroom magic' come to the rescue here? I did shoot raw images.
Cheers

It's ok, a quick Google has led me to the dropper tool for adjusting this. I'll have a play and post back. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks RichardC27, that's interesting, and I'm grateful for the pointer to the white balance being off. Is that lost, I as I should have got it right in camera, or can a little 'Lightroom magic' come to the rescue here? I did shoot raw images.
Cheers

It's ok, a quick Google has led me to the dropper tool for adjusting this. I'll have a play and post back. Thanks
If you shot in raw you're fine, you can adjust the white balance to whatever you like in Lightroom. I'd check your camera settings though, the camera should be able to work that out for itself if you have it on auto white balance

Thanks, I've put my revised version next to the original, am I heading on the right direction with this?

01279.jpg

and amended

1b
01279b.jpg

Great shots, thanks for sharing.

I generally use auto white balance and then fine tune it either by manually changing the temperature or by clicking the white part of the kerb.

Thanks Rolyratman, I had the camera set to auto wb and can only assume that I may have introduced the colour cast in pp unknowingly. I have used the eyedropper to reset the wb and they all look much better. I'll have to keep an eye on that in th fuure.

I was impressed with your images posted and on 500px from this weekend. I'm from Chichester so interested to see that you are not far.

Best advice on WB from me would be to get some form of calibration done on your monitor. Most calibrations tools aren't too expensive and most photgoraphers here I would think would have their's calibrated too, so they'll see the difference as well. A decent calibration tool can come in at under £100, that will do the job more than adequately.(y)

Try to get it as right as possible in camera, then you can tweak in post, but for it to be most effective, you need a calibrated monitor. In the case of these images, I think it's just a case of tweaking the magenta and/or blue slider/s. Your edit is better but maybe a little too warm now, I think the balance is between your edit and your originals. :)

Thanks Dale, I'll work on it. I'd been considering a calibrator and missed one on here being sold by about an hour. I would have snapped it up at the price it was being offered but missed the post. I'll keep looking and in the meantime go back and see if I can find the middle path you mentioned. Cheers :)

when i raced i always used a clear visor so that the togs were more likely to send my pics off to the sports papers :)

:LOL: at arch stanton, if you can spread that idea round Silverstone and some of the other crcuits that would be great.

I'm retired now, too fat, old and not enough money for racing. I didn't spread the word as I didn't want everyone doing it, I get stuff from sponsors if my picture was printed; everything helps

Back