motorbikes old/new...open thread??

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Much rather have that Shovel than the V-Rod!

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Pretty as that 45 Bobber is, I'd still rather have the Shovel. Besides, the foot clutch/suicide shifter would confuzzle me!!!

Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Pretty as that 45 Bobber is, I'd still rather have the Shovel. Besides, the foot clutch/suicide shifter would confuzzle me!!!
Hi, my Harley from 1929 had the same clutch/shifter layout. I got used to it.

The throttle grip, however, worked in the opposite way from to today (closing meant opening).

This took a little longer for me ---

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
IIRC, Indians from around that time had a left hand throttle... That might have been only the police models though, so they could shoot right handed while riding.

Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
IIRC, Indians from around that time had a left hand throttle... That might have been only the police models though, so they could shoot right handed while riding.
My Harley had ignition regulation (advance - retard) on the left hand grip ...

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
I was chatting to an ex bike cop a few days ago and he reckoned that switching from British twins to BMWs cost about 75% of their workshop staff to lose their jobs!

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Very pretty but (apparently) you wouldn't want to own one.

Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
I was chatting to an ex bike cop a few days ago and he reckoned that switching from British twins to BMWs cost about 75% of their workshop staff to lose their jobs!
Hi, BMWs were very reliable and easy to maintain and repair. In the late 60s and 70s I was very much interested in British motorcycles. (I even had a MOTORCYCLE subscription.)

But there were few dealers and workshops in Germany. And the bikes were less suitable for high-speed long distance travel on motorways.

In those days, I rode to Spain, Portugal, Sweden and very often to England. The rear chains without O-rings of British bikes would have made these journeys less pleasant,
and high-speed cruising at 90 mph with the vibrations of a parallel twin must have been not much fun ... ---

German police, still on BMW :

D80_0444-n70c-tp.jpg

@allanm: I like the look of the modernized NORTON. Ride and ownership is a different matter ... ---

Last edited:
Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
I remember riding my old Triumph 5ta, speedtwin.
At certain speeds, it was impossible to read the speedo as my eyes were shaking so badly.
But, when I got off the bike and drove my 1961 Mini, it felt like I was driving a Rolls Royce........

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Nice to see the pooch wearing doggles!

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Some very good deals around on last year's model Tiger - IF you can find one! From memory, they're giving buyers the luggage and protection kit as a sweetener, possibly heated grips and seat as well.
FWIW, if you're actually going to venture off road on a bike, the Royal Enfield Himalaya is supposed to be up among the best choice - it's light enough to pick up if when you drop it.

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Does it get much use, Scott? Oh, and welcome to TP!