motorbikes old/new...open thread??

Nicknamed "Ditchpumps" here. Not sire why.

Hi, I don't know what they are called here ... --- In the 60s and 70s, BMWs were called Gummikuh (rubber-cow) in Germany, referring to the smooth engine, and soft ride ...

I'm probably being stupid, but can you explain the rationale behind these particular photos you post please? Is it a project of some sort?

Hi, I sat in my car on a hot summer day, and took pics of the bikes passing by. Maybe, someone seeing the pics finds a bike or two interesting.

There is no deeper meaning ...

Hi, I sat in my car on a hot summer day, and took pics of the bikes passing by. Maybe, someone seeing the pics finds a bike or two interesting.

There is no deeper meaning ...

Always...Thanks :)

Been waiting for a BMW to trundle along!!!

bmwriders.jpg

Hi, another BMW. They are extremely common here. BMW riders are typically mature ... :

D80_0985-n70c.jpg

Last edited:
Fairly common here too - IIRC the GS is the best selling large capacity bike here. TBH, I don't really see the point of them, especially with the road tyres they seem to all be fitted with.

Fairly common here too - IIRC the GS is the best selling large capacity bike here. TBH, I don't really see the point of them, especially with the road tyres they seem to all be fitted with.
Given that I ride a bike with clip-ons, I'd quite fancy the armchair approach every now and then!

Get a cruiser or a "naked" - much lower CoG and a better posture! Sports bikes (and anything with clip-ons!) give me horrendous backache. Still very tempted by a Thruxton if I can find one with less low bars in the right colour.

Hi, looks like the 4WD-syndrome applied to bikes. It's good to know you could go anywhere if you wanted to, but you never do ...

What would keep me from getting one of those are the spoke wheels. I was so glad when I got alloy wheels with the R100. Much easier to clean ...

Perhaps people buy a GS because they just want to cruise, and want to distance themselves from the "racers".

When I meet an owner, I will try to ask him what makes the GS attractive. Maybe, there is something I did not think of ---

The owner of the GS shown above seems to use it for travelling. A SWISS motorway vignette is fitted.

Last edited:
Get a cruiser or a "naked" - much lower CoG and a better posture! Sports bikes (and anything with clip-ons!) give me horrendous backache. Still very tempted by a Thruxton if I can find one with less low bars in the right colour.
My bike is actually a Thruxton R. I’ve had lots of naked bikes but have a secret yearning for a GS as a second bike. Well, it was secret..

Reactions: Nod
Back