motorbikes old/new...open thread??

That's not bad with 200 to 250 miles a day means you don't cane yourself and loose interest. Doing it both ways means 10 days, possibly more because I will call in to Chippenham to see my daughter and grandchildren on the way back. Whether or not she who must be obeyed will give me parole for as long as that remains to be seen. It should be do-able though

Whether or not she who must be obeyed will give me parole for as long as that remains to be seen.

Tell her it's a 5 day outing then let mission creep occur!

The crystal ball would be produced and the future looked at so that would definitely fail.

Reactions: Nod
It never fails to surprise me that people can pay £10,000 plus for a bike then skimp on the protective clothing. Yes he has a decent jacket and helmet, but jeans and trainers AGAIN. They are no protection against gravel rash!

It never fails to surprise me that people can pay £10,000 plus for a bike then skimp on the protective clothing. Yes he has a decent jacket and helmet, but jeans and trainers AGAIN.

They are no protection against gravel rash!

Hi, no excuse, but an explanation from me: it was an extremely hot summer day.

(Years ago, a cyclist wearing a jeans jacket crashed, and slid on his stomach on the tarmac.

He had the copper buttons burned as marks into his skin. Some people must learn the hard way ... ---)

The only reason I don't ride when we're on holiday in Crete is that it's too hot to wear protective gear. Even here it can be rather warm in armoured jeans and leather, especially when stuck in traffic!

When It is hot enough, I have a fully vented jacket and trousers. They are not waterproof but they keep me cool and they have the safety armour should I be unfortunate enough to take a tumble. I also have a Gortex lined jacket and the Gortex membrane is removable and the outer shell is partially ventilated. Both are better than gravel rash.

Being hot and sweaty is better than being cold and clammy on a slab!

Very much so! I have assorted riding tops, all with armour in the more vulnerable places and a couple of pairs of Kevlar reinforced jeans, again with armour on the pointy bits. For occasional winter rides, I have a motorcross set of hard armour which fits under a flying jacket. Not perfect but keeps me warmer than any of the other jackets.

At last I have got around to getting a picture of one of my BMW K75 bikes on a cold ride today into the wilds of North Durham. This, a K75s 1st registered in 1986 and 62k miles (Hardly run in) Resprayed from an insipid blue/grey metallic, higher bars to suit my comfort and a comfort seat. 100% reliable.DSCF2445 1986 K75s Reduced size.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite right too.

I am not too sure of the three wheeled thing they are sitting on though. A few years ago travelling slowly on a motorway along with most other traffic. (It was hissing down.) Visibility was poor with a lot of surface water and one of these passed me doing about 50-60 and I have never seen a more unstable vehicle trying to travel in a straight line. You would think it was a 3 wheeled pogo stick!

I will stick with my two K75's thank you very much

Quite right too.

I am not too sure of the three wheeled thing they are sitting on though. A few years ago travelling slowly on a motorway along with most other traffic. (It was hissing down.) Visibility was poor with a lot of surface water and one of these passed me doing about 50-60 and I have never seen a more unstable vehicle trying to travel in a straight line. You would think it was a 3 wheeled pogo stick!

I will stick with my two K75's thank you very much
If it has more than 2 wheels it shouldn't have handlebars........ ;)

The weather here today is very good with no wind and open blue sky. Good biking weather but I have a dental appointment so that is getting in the way. so the red K75 will have to stay in the garage again!

Wow, the perspective in this picture seems to show an absolutely massive crash helmet, it looks as big as the front wheel or the top box. Of course it could mean the owner has a stunningly large head! :)

Wow, the perspective in this picture seems to show an absolutely massive crash helmet, it looks as big as the front wheel or the top box. Of course it could mean the owner has a stunningly large head! :)

Hi, this can happen with WA lenses ... --- Never take a pic with your wife or your girlfriend near the side of the frame! They will never forgive you ... :D ---

D80_1140-n70c.jpg

Hi Martin, yes that was taken with quite a wide angle Fuji lens......which can exaggerate

Cheers;
Peter

Not that common here (now!) but not the rarest of old Brits.

I would never just take my hearing aids out in that situation... :whistle:

Back