motorbikes old/new...open thread??

I hadn't remembered a 3.

"One day the wife said "I've had enough of your dirty, noisy motorcycles - it's me or the bike""

"I'll miss her cooking"

;)
As I recall it was his favourite, certainly won a few races on it until those vile 2 strokes turned up. I hated the 2 strokes others loved them, I stopped going to races because of them. The noise of the 500 3 was unbelievable, I still love 3 cylinder bikes to this day, I've had 4 of them, a BM and 3 Triumphs, including my current lump.

Last edited:
Hi, a BMW Rxx/5 (finding an answer to the famous limbo-question raised by Chubby Checker how low can you go? :)D):

View attachment 141124

There was an old boy who used to turn up to the Battle Of The Twins races, he rode his 90/6 there, stripped it in the paddock to go racing, raced it like a nutter, then put it back together and rode home again. He was never in the leaders, but he was a regular and sometimes got into the middle order. Another boxer that raced in that series had Krauser 4 valve heads and the rocker covers were welded up often - he used to ground them on some corners, the bottom of the hill at Cadwell (I can't remember what it is called now), before you hit the start finish straight and then the flick flack before going up the montain. That steep downhill left, he always had the head down on that one!

A chap I knew many years ago used to get through rocker covers on his Bimmer fairly regularly. He used to flip them and swap them from side to side to get as much out of them between replacement.

Where do you keep finding these bikes :)
Seriously, you have posted some terrific stuff.

Where do you keep finding these bikes :)
Seriously, you have posted some terrific stuff.

Hi, a group of enthusiasts meets here to share pictures and views. Very nice! :) ---

I get my pictures when attending oldtimer car events. Normally, there is a small section for motorcycles. This is typically quite cramped, not enough space for the bikes,
and visitors running around ... ---

A four-stroke JAWA with bevel-gear driven cam:

mot-DSC08697-a7r2c.jpg

I was wondering that too. Mudguards look like an Indian but the motor looks rather Japanese.

I was wondering that too. Mudguards look like an Indian but the motor looks rather Japanese.
Pretty sure it is a kwaka Drifter, another bike I have always had a yearning for, not sure why, just like the styling.

Not the best photo (only had my phone) but this is Allen Millyard rc374 he made this thing in his garage at home ?
Have a look on the net about him, the best part is he is a lovely man to chat too.

Hi, the Romans would have said in dubio pro moto ... :D

I see M. Hailwood on the fairing, so it could be a Honda Six ridden by Mike Hailwood, giving it historic significance!

Last edited:
Superb piece of work, I really wish I had the skill / time / money etc. to do something like that.

One of my NC24's I have just done a sympathetic restoration on - the other (Rothmans) is in about 100 pieces lol..

VFR400R NC24-4 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

A pair of 35's

RVF400 NC35-2 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

My 'newest 35' - needs a little love - only done 500km since 2006 & was abandoned in a garage by the previous owner..

P1070749 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

One of my NC24's I have just done a sympathetic restoration on - the other (Rothmans) is in about 100 pieces lol..

VFR400R NC24-4 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

A pair of 35's

RVF400 NC35-2 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

My 'newest 35' - needs a little love - only done 500km since 2006 & was abandoned in a garage by the previous owner..

P1070749 by Pete Smith, on Flickr
Nice bikes, my brother had a couple of these, unfortunately I'm a bit too big for these, I was going to buy an RC30 at one point, but the prices have just gone stupid now and I much prefer the RC45 now.

Thanks, I'm also now looking at either of those or possibly the new RVF1000...

Like the DeLorean in the background too.

Even though they were built in Britain (Northern Ireland)?

Yes, I know, but the company and its owner were American. So, let's be generous ... ;)
Wasn't the biggest shareholder the UK Government :-(

Deserved a better engine and less Bolivian marching powder...

Back