motorbikes old/new...open thread??

mean_machine 1 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

seen in paphos cyprus
the chap who had this just drove up and down the main street...eventually ended up parked so i could get a better look
anyone know its breeding?

i couldnt really see how they would corner well

cool..or should that be hot

desmodromic??
Hi, if I remember correctly, all four-stroke Ducatis of tose days had desmodromic valve operation, meaning the valve-opening and closing was forced and worked without springs.

The Ducatis were very competitive and popular with club racers in the 70s. All you had to do was fit an open megaphone exhaust pipe, and you were ready to race ... ---

Hi, if I remember correctly, all four-stroke Ducatis of tose days had desmodromic valve operation, meaning the valve-opening and closing was forced and worked without springs.

The Ducatis were very competitive and popular with club racers in the 70s. All you had to do was fit an open megaphone exhaust pipe, and you were ready to race ... ---

well i studied engines for a bit and thought the desmo idea was good but didnt catch on with everyone, i guess setting the cam clearances meant a lot of expert adjustment, but avoided valve bounce completely

my velo's had hairpin springs which cut down height, and in earlier models ohc instead of pushrod...
the whole thing rested on reliability and cost of manufacture.
and i think some manufacturers may have fitted 2 concentric coil springs
the racing world as in cars sorted all that out for us bikers...

i did like the look of the road Ducatis...but never getting that far having smashed two bikes and killed a dog...i bought a 1948 wolseley 8 my first car and stayed on 4 wheels since 1961

well i studied engines for a bit and thought the desmo idea was good but didnt catch on with everyone, i guess setting the cam clearances meant a lot of expert adjustment, but avoided valve bounce completely
Hi, the desmo valve drive allowed higher revs, commercially available valve springs at the time very not so good. Setting valve clearance required special shims, and expert mechanics.

My motorcycle dealer tried to sell me a 250 Ducati, so I remember a few specs. - I wanted my bikes for long-distance travel, however, which meant I ended up with BMWs ... ---

Hi, the desmo valve drive allowed higher revs, commercially available valve springs at the time very not so good. Setting valve clearance required special shims, and expert mechanics.

My motorcycle dealer tried to sell me a 250 Ducati, so I remember a few specs. - I wanted my bikes for long-distance travel, however, which meant I ended up with BMWs ... ---

yes...i envied BMW owners and still do...they were at one time the top sidecar racing engine...the rennsport racers.
do bmw road bikes still need crash bars as a add on to protect the cylinders?...are they an extra

yes...i envied BMW owners and still do...they were at one time the top sidecar racing engine...the rennsport racers.
do bmw road bikes still need crash bars as a add on to protect the cylinders?...are they an extra
Hi, BMWs flat-twins were not suitable for solo racing, but for sidecar-racing, as you wrote. - I had crash-bars fitted, but sporty drivers didn't for ground clearance and weight reduction. ---

My bike history: ZÜNDAPP Norma 200, Harley Davidson 750cc, BMW R 26, BMW R 51/3, BMW R 75/5, BMW R 75/5, BMW R 90/6, BMW R 100.

R 90/6, in 1974, new, just home from the dealer:

Bikes75007_bearbeitet-1-tp.jpg

On my way to Portugal in 1974, with touring equipment (HARRO Tank-Rucksack, HEINRICH legshields, HEINRICH foot protectors, BMW crash-bars, Craven cases, Craven top-case):

BMW-Port74-1004.jpg

they look like a real road burner...comfortable and secure..
beauties

you blued up the exhausts there...were you on autobahns???

Last edited:
they look like a real road burner...comfortable and secure..
beauties

you blued up the exhausts there...were you on autobahns???

Hi, I was very satisfied with the R 90/6. I had it for 7 years, without any problems. The twin front discs were a major step forward compared to my R 75/5s, and it had 5 gears, meaning high speed cruising with lower revs.

On the Autobahn, my cruising speed was 90 mph, colouring the exhaust ... On my trip to Portugal I was in the 2nd. part of the running-in period (1000 km up to 2000 km). I had an oil filter with me, and changed the engine oil
in Lagos. The good thing about BMWs was I could do all maintenance myself. So they were quite economical to run and own. (British bikes were rare at the time in Germany, and there was not dealer network to speak of.)

Last edited:
too old for that now...if i got a bike to do club outings it would have to be gearchange on rhs...down for up
and cant afford that dominator i hankered for..maybe a velo
your bmw days must be a great memory...
ever have a scooter??

too old for that now...if i got a bike to do club outings it would have to be gearchange on rhs...down for up
and cant afford that dominator i hankered for..maybe a velo
your bmw days must be a great memory...

ever have a scooter??

Yes, I like thinking back to my BMW days. Many beautiful journeys to Spain, Portugal, Sweden and often to England. Never had an accident (I never rode in a group, because you never know how well others can brake),
and brought my girls home unharmed.

My only scooter experience was IBIZA in 1967, with a hired VESPA. Never owned a scooter.

mean_machine 1 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

seen in paphos cyprus
the chap who had this just drove up and down the main street...eventually ended up parked so i could get a better look
anyone know its breeding?

It looks like a Victory of some description.

They don't! Well, not round sharper corners than the ground clearance allows, anyway.
Nice looking bikes - small but nice! B: (My Rocket III is 140 ci rather than 100.)

The baby of my current stable. Plods along nicely as long as you're not in too much of a hurry. Paint and chrome are shocking.

Yes, I like thinking back to my BMW days. Many beautiful journeys to Spain, Portugal, Sweden and often to England. Never had an accident (I never rode in a group, because you never know how well others can brake),
and brought my girls home unharmed.

My only scooter experience was IBIZA in 1967, with a hired VESPA. Never owned a scooter.

i distinguished my self passing my motorcycle test on a lambretta Li 150...bought it new
sold it later for the T110...:confused:

Nearly bought a T110 chop a couple of months ago but it was bleeding too much. Could be tempted by a '63 Tiger or Bonnie - same vintage as me! D7 Bantam would do as well but they're silly money for decent runners. Got a box of spares somewhere (for the D7.)

Made in India... doing R.E's now..have you seen any...are they authentic
ps does your enfield use down for down gearchange????

my friends dad had a royal enfield 650 which he got to ride now and again on outings...seemed to have a very large wide tank..cant remember the model

Last edited:
They don't! Well, not round sharper corners than the ground clearance allows, anyway.
Nice looking bikes - small but nice! B: (My Rocket III is 140 ci rather than 100.)

The baby of my current stable. Plods along nicely as long as you're not in too much of a hurry. Paint and chrome are shocking.

yes the rocket...legendary...that model you have 1400cc...what year was that..
cant find it...is it designated gsx1400??

Nearly bought a T110 chop a couple of months ago but it was bleeding too much. Could be tempted by a '63 Tiger or Bonnie - same vintage as me! D7 Bantam would do as well but they're silly money for decent runners. Got a box of spares somewhere (for the D7.)

my T110 lost oil quickly on the chaincase...i worked in shipyards as an apprentice engineer so made a cork compressible gasket and swapped out the old screws for ones with allen key heads...that sorted that
but still lost those silly tappet covers occassionally..but never upgraded them
got a velo instead

my friends dad had a royal enfield 650 which he got to ride now and again on outings...seemed to have a very large wide tank..cant remember the model
Hi, I do not know the originals, so I cannot compare. - In my area there is a vintage motorcycle club with some British bikes. They wanted me to take pictures of their bikes for their website.

Maybe, next year, I have something to show here ...

They've been making Enfields (and the Royal variety!) in India for a long time. Not quite the same now as they were in the '50s - the Bullet is now a unit (engine and gearbox in the same cases) and has electronic ignition, fuel injection and an electric foot - but they still have the classic look. They're just about to reintroduce the interceptor as well; a parallel twin of 650cc, again with updates to meet current legislation.

yes the rocket...legendary...that model you have 1400cc...what year was that..
cant find it...is it designated gsx1400??

The Triumph Rocket III (not to be confused with its older cousin from BSA [which was a rebadged Triumph Trident]) is 2,300cc (140 cubic inches) - the largest capacity production bike yet made (discounting the Boss Hogs which are built to order rather than being "production" models). Mine's 2004 or 5 (can't remember exactly which and it's on a personal [to the bike, not me!] registration plate). IIRC the GSX 1400 is a Suzuki Hyabusa (although I thought that was a 1300.)

They've been making Enfields (and the Royal variety!) in India for a long time. Not quite the same now as they were in the '50s - the Bullet is now a unit (engine and gearbox in the same cases) and has electronic ignition, fuel injection and an electric foot - but they still have the classic look. They're just about to reintroduce the interceptor as well; a parallel twin of 650cc, again with updates to meet current legislation.

The Triumph Rocket III (not to be confused with its older cousin from BSA [which was a rebadged Triumph Trident]) is 2,300cc (140 cubic inches) - the largest capacity production bike yet made (discounting the Boss Hogs which are built to order rather than being "production" models). Mine's 2004 or 5 (can't remember exactly which and it's on a personal [to the bike, not me!] registration plate). IIRC the GSX 1400 is a Suzuki Hyabusa (although I thought that was a 1300.)
The GSX1400 is a large naked bike. The Hayabusa is a 1300 as you say.

Thanks for the correction, Rick. Not that well up on current Japanese offerings. Rather enjoyed the GSX 1100 G I looked after for a short while - not much slower (in terms of acceleration) than the R version but with a shaft drive rather than a chain and no plastic over the front.

Could be tempted by one of those. Looks a bit too much Harley based - a man sized Buell!

if i may comment...bloody hell!!!

More like "Fffffffuuuuuuuuu……….!" when you open it up. Mine's an early one, so no ABS, no TC, no wheelie control, just a throttle, 2 brakes, 5 gears and a clutch. Supremely comfortable, oh so much torque (and plenty enough power) and looks fabulous.

More like "Fffffffuuuuuuuuu……….!" when you open it up. Mine's an early one, so no ABS, no TC, no wheelie control, just a throttle, 2 brakes, 5 gears and a clutch. Supremely comfortable, oh so much torque (and plenty enough power) and looks fabulous.
Did you buy it new? I believe they offered rider training to new purchasers.

A few images of an 'Indian' Royal Enfield.

RE FRont.jpg

RE Powwr Plant.jpg

RE Side.jpg

RE Tank.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, going back in time ( - and in image quality :sorry:. ) --- Nürburgring Elephant Rallye 1972, snow, frost and fog.

(L to r.) NORTON Commando, HONDA CB500 four, BMW R75/5 (my bike):

Mot-tp-Unbenannt-Scannen-45.jpg

The things you do, and the risks you take, when you are young ... ---

Isn't the Elefant (?)Treffen usually snowy? Used to do a few UK rallies about 25-30 years ago but far too old (and sensible) now!

Not new - bought it earlier this year with just 11,000 miles on the clock. Needs a little more thought than some bikes but more when manoeuvring at low speed than when on the road (other bikes [like the V-Max] are more brutal in their power delivery but few are as heavy - you only park nose down to the kerb once!)
It's the torque that really impresses - on the flat, it'll pull cleanly from 30MPH up to whenever you run out of bottle or hit the limiter (and will pull a little lumpenly from 20 if you're cruel) and doesn't really notice hills, even 2 up.

Isn't the Elefant (?)Treffen usually snowy? Used to do a few UK rallies about 25-30 years ago but far too old (and sensible) now!

Yes, I should have written Elefantentreffen, but I coined an anglicized form ... - Weatherwise, it was wintry enough for me. You can even see light snowfall in the picture.

Riding my BMW there was quite tricky. (I didn't have a sidecar.) In those days, I used 4.00-18 trial tyres in the rear in winter, I treated with a special tool of parallel mounted razor-blades
to optimize the grip.

Long, long ago .... ---

:D:D
and how to pack your own parachute...one on your back and one on the rear of the machine...braking distances y'know

Back