motorbikes old/new...open thread??

Deserved a better engine and less Bolivian marching powder...
It was a dog, badly designed and difficult to maintain as well as underpowered. Nice body though.

Saw the tank first and then looked at the motor - deep confusion! Second shot shows the side panel that explains the motor. Never seen an EnfiJS (or should that be an AJenfield?) before!

Saw the tank first and then looked at the motor - deep confusion! Second shot shows the side panel that explains the motor. Never seen an EnfiJS (or should that be an AJenfield?) before!

Sorry for posting a riddle. :sorry: Maybe it is a spare-parts-hybrid. :)

Don't be sorry, that will have some debate down the pub this afternoon!:)

I shall consult my AJS and Enfield oracles!:naughty:

Don't apologise! One of my dream bikes is an Armageddon replica - a fictional NorVin ridden by Ogri. Plenty of other hybrids around too.

Something slightly different but still part of a motorbike hop it's ok ?

The good the bad & the ugly by Daz, on Flickr

The first one is my new piston for when i get it bored out the second one was a new piston fitted but is the wrong one (if you look it's to high) and the last one well what can i say :facepalm: :facepalm:
That brings back memories. When I had my old FS1E I carried a spare piston in my pocket.

What is the bike these fit?

Was it that bad?
It was mildly tuned and ported. That extra 3 mph was all the difference:D it went through a piston every 500 miles I’d guess.

One thing with 2 strokes I found was that they taught you a bit about mechanics.

RGV 250 power valves were something I could do in my sleep.

You're a hybrid or you lust after Armageddon? (And Mitzi?!!! :p)

You're a hybrid or you lust after Armageddon? (And Mitzi?!!! :p)

Hi, there might be a simple explanation for the bike I posted: its German owner rebuilt it from available parts, and stuck the only "English-looking" decals on it he had.

Could have used Norton, BSA or Triumph ... Maybe we take this bike too seriously ---

I'm pretty sure that the engine is an Enfield one but the gearbox and primary cover don't look right for an Enfield. Equally sure that Enfield frames to match that engine were all single downtube whereas that one's double. Whatever its origins, it looks like it gets at least a few miles under its wheels.

Better imagined than in reality. Possibly the same with Armageddon!!!

Better imagined than in reality. Possibly the same with Armageddon!!!

Many a true word. When I was in my 20s then absolutely, but not 30 years later (armageddon that is, and Mitzi is really just for teenagers).

Is that the Danish 4 cylinder thing with the steel strap frame? There was an article in one of the magazines relatively recently - someone has fitted a small supercharger to one...

Is that the Danish 4 cylinder thing with the steel strap frame? There was an article in one of the magazines relatively recently - someone has fitted a small supercharger to one...

Oh .... ! I always thought, the NIMBUS were Swedish :sorry: --- Thanks for getting the facts straight! :ty:

I wouldn't have known had I not seen the blown one in the mag!

Improper new (relatively!) Triumph.
Just got my main 'puter back so can get at some old shots again.

"Big Red" (because he's very big and very red!), my Rocket III. 2,297cc triple.

DSCF4351.JPG

DSCF4353.JPG

I had one of these as a winter bike in the mid 1980's (a red one)I kept it for 17 years dispatched on it for a while then sold it running on it's standard untouched engine with 112000 miles on the clock ( I really wish I hadn't) all this time I went through probably another 30 or so bikes so when I saw this cheap I had to have it. Since sold as I failed to recreate the spirit of the crazy 80's/90's , probably a good thing as|I'd either have no license or be dead !
P1010172.JPG

Last edited:
I brought this for my lad a couple of years ago XL125S a dutch import built 1993 but for some reason to 1970's standards (6 volt electrics, drum brakes,twinshock) but it was then registered in the UK as a 2000 model ? But before he was old enough I decided to use it for green lanning around Wales with the Green land crew. Here is a pick of it after a local outing. It really did work well and ran rings around some people on much bigger more modern bikes, it's lack of power low/ height being a distinct advantage, although when the drums filled with muddy sludge the brakes didn't work which was very thrilling down rocky stream beds and steep banks .My lad never got it and ended up with a KMX125 which I also took out.

P9110093(1).JPG

Last edited:
Love the shopping basket hook!

Sound like the Crazy Frog when at idle!

Quite a few BMW singles in daily use on Crete. Not with chairs though!

Quite a few BMW singles in daily use on Crete. Not with chairs though!

Maybe my R26 is still running around in Greece somewhere. I sold to a Greek to finance my R51/3 (in 1969), which was a step down in roadholding and comfort,
but a step up to a twin ... ---

A few from a bike show in Qatar a couple of years back.

11063730_1003021139770033_7443172650491083563_o.jpg

12491926_1003018363103644_2559916468286696195_o.jpg
12400508_1003020786436735_5099153492858187602_n.jpg

Back