motorbikes old/new...open thread??

Appropriate logo on the sweatshirt - "Repair Shop"!!! :p

Do you know why Harley riders always have a fixed grin on their faces?

To stop their fillings falling out. :D

Well, I was not satisfied with the reliability of my 1929 Harley in 1968. Oil rose in the generator until it stopped charging the battery.

The bike kept running until the battery was flat ... ---

But financially the Harley adventure went fine for me. I paid 850 DM, and sold it for 1200 DM.

Today it would be worth a fortune, however ... :crying:

I wish all present Harley drivers that their modern Harleys are reliable! :)

DSC09294-a7r2-z50mp-c-tp.jpg

I ran a '25 lowrider Shovel for a couple of years and had no reliability issues at all. To explain the obvious issue, the headstock (so frame number and registration here in the UK) was from 1925 but the frame had been built round the headstock in '79 to accept a '78 Shovel motor. The engine had been bored to be 88" and suitably balanced, blueprinted etc. for reliability as well as the increase in power. Ran a 2" SU carb and straight through pipes (with a bolt as a "muffler" in each one [stopped a policeman's truncheon so was "proof" that there was some form of baffle!]) Didn't particularly like corners, although the twin Brembo front disks did stop it quite well. Was featured in Back Street Heroes as "Big Fat F'koff Hog" back in the early '90s when it's owner was back from working overseas. In some ways, I wish I could have afforded to buy it when it came up for sale but in others, I'm glad I couldn't - not sure I could face being a Harley owner! :p

Hi, my 2nd BMW R75/5 in 1973. (Sorry for the poor IQ). Improved lighting (including rear-foglight), and a low-tone police horn to establish clarity, who is coming ... :

mot-Unbenannt-Scannen-26.jpg

And in Dover/UK in the street. In 1973, I parked my bike like this, even over night. Today, I wouldn't be sure ... :

mot-tp-GB-best-068.jpg

My favourite tractor engine!

Hi, a R67/2 (or 51/3 ?). With an R51/3 (and my then girlfriend) I went to Ibiza in 1970... --- :

DSC07074-a7r2-c-tp.jpg

DSC07075-a7r2-s28-tp.jpg

Nice bike. Small but nice! ;)

Great looking beast. Keep getting the urge to get one, that V-twin has always made me smile, but at 65 and 30 years since having a bike I think my 'mid-life crisis' has come 20 years too late:(

If you're considering this, go to a local training centre and have a couple of sessions - they usually have bikes you can borrow/hire rather than forking out for your own. Then, if you feel happy on the road in today's traffic (a LOT different to 30 years ago, especially on 2 wheels!), get a proper bike.

Oh, and to put my above "small" comment into context, it's a small group of us who can make that comment - the Harley above is 103 ci (cubic inches); I have a Rocket III Triumph which boasts 140 of 'em!

I'd prefer a Sei but there are far fewer moving parts to worry about in this one!

Weird looking thing! Not a great lover of scooters (prefer larger wheels!) but I quite like it! Possibly because it looks like it has larger diameter hoops than most scooters.

Weird looking thing! Not a great lover of scooters (prefer larger wheels!) but I quite like it! Possibly because it looks like it has larger diameter hoops than most scooters.

Hi, in those days there were no designers in Germany. Design was sometimes just a lucky outcome of engineer activities. - Function dictated form ... ---

Interesting, too: the DKW scooter has boards for the passenger. The engine was started by pulling out the steel rope by the grip to the left of it.

It looks as if it is derived from a motorcycle - in contrast to the VESPA. ... ---

A HOREX Regina:

DSC09453-a7r2-zomp-c-tp.jpg

Hi, not a beauty ... :

DSC02228-a7r2-c-tp.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02228-a7r2-s55-c-tp-c.jpg
    DSC02228-a7r2-s55-c-tp-c.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 6
That makes the Hobby look almost pretty!!! Needs a Goggo dancer in front of it... ;)

Pair of grooves up the back of the tank? :wideyed:

I had a bike with forks like that, the car I hit didn't look too clever either. I landed on the car's roof, which had a roof rack before falling off sideways onto the pavement, hurt a bit.

That makes the Hobby look almost pretty!!! Needs a Goggo dancer in front of it... ;)

Well, on the other hand, one does not know what ugliness is hidden under the front fender ... ---

A BMW with sidecar:

DSC09457-a7r2-z50mpc-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Do love a good flat tanker! All the exposed valve gear etc. fascinates me!!!

(Even the Triumph behing [with the obviously round tank] is called a flat tanker!)

Not sure if this should be in bikes or car thread, as it's a 3 wheeler I think bikes is more appropriate, no idea what it is, saw it in my local, Hertfordshire, garden centre last year

Attachments

• 161003.jpg
    161003.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 161008.jpg
    161008.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 11
  • 161018.jpg
    161018.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 11
Drive side

Attachments

• 161045.jpg
    161045.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 7
Not sure if this should be in bikes or car thread, as it's a 3 wheeler I think bikes is more appropriate,

Always hard to know! That 3 wheeler has a steering wheel so is (IMO) more a microcar than a trike, especially since it's fully enclosed, however it seems to be bike enginned so is also a motorcycle of sorts. I have a feeling that the old Top Gear lot tested messed about in one of them a few years back - or something similar!

I asked my boy to try and find out what it was, he works for Parkers (car magazine) and shares a building with MCN etc, nobody knew, I have a feeling it may be a one-off home built thing, especially as it was mostly ali plate.

I asked my boy to try and find out what it was, he works for Parkers (car magazine) and shares a building with MCN etc, nobody knew, I have a feeling it may be a one-off home built thing, especially as it was mostly ali plate.

Hi, it looks like a reincarnation of the German MESSERSCHMITT Kabinenroller (literally Cabin-Scooter). The seating makes it a scooter. And nowadays there are scooters
with two front wheels. So, it could be shown in a bike thread. (I have shown it in a car thread here.)

I 'll show some pics when I get back from a walk with my dog.

Until then ...

Back