motorbikes old/new...open thread??

Hi, MESSERSCMITTs:

DSC07778-s55-tp.jpg

With trailer:

L1006848-c-tp.jpg

At the time, a Kabinenroller was seen as an intermediate step between scooter and car, by many ...

Which of the micro cars/Kabinenroller was it that had no reverse gear, just 2 ignition systems and starters - to go backwards, you just ran the engine backwards (2 stroke)?

Which of the micro cars/Kabinenroller was it that had no reverse gear, just 2 ignition systems and starters - to go backwards, you just ran the engine backwards (2 stroke)?

Hi, the KR 200 had 4 gears. To go backwards, there was a special starting procedure to make the engine run in the other direction, meaning you had 4 reverse gears!

A reverse gear (I assume a special gear-box) was available as an extra.

I found this in Wikipedia, I have no personal experience with the MESSERSCHMITTs.

Thanks for the answer, Immo. Mum used to have one of the KRs then. Before my time! Some builders used to turn it round between other cars parked in pub car parks - they'd lift it off the ground.

Hi, my first motorcycle, a ZÜNDAPP Norma 200. I bought it in 1968 for 25 €, incl. leather cap, rain clothing and tools. At that time, motorcycling was not very
popular in Germany any more, and many bikes were simply sold for scrap. When I bought my first (and last) Harley, I gave the Norma to children in the
neighborhood, who rode through their big garden on it ... ---

DSC00636-tp.jpg

DSC00634-c-tp.jpg

Sebastian Perez - Yamaha TZ350F 1978
Entrant: Sebastian Perez
Race / Practice: 'Hailwood Trophy'
75th Members' Meeting of the GRRC 2017
Goodwood Circuit, Westhampnett (GBR)
March 18th 2017

GEAR
Canon EOS 450D
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 APO EX DC OS HSM

F/6.3, 1/160, ISO-100, 150mm (2017)

Mate popped over with his Trident today, first thing we did was put some air in the tyres!
Trident-1.jpg by R Hillman, on Flickr

Saw more Tridents (including 5 or 6 of Craig Vetter's Hurricanes) and Z1s than you could shake a stick at today - and didn't snap one of 'em! Went up to the South West Classic bike show (rescheduled after being snowed off earlier in the month) and it was rammed solid - couldn't have got a decent shot of anything so relied on my Mk 1 eyeballs.
Found that the Trident and Rocket 3 Owners Club didn't want TRIUMPH Rocket IIIs, just BSAs! Managed to find a pair of pannier bars (to hold the bags clear of the rear shocks) for the Speedmaster and a 2m Oxford chain and padlock, both at VERY good prices. Bars fitted and will use the chain once the bikes are rearranged when the scaffolding comes down tomorrow. Hopefully the sun will be out so I can get a snap or 2 of the Triumph section of my current stable!

Dan Walling - Yamaha TZ250L 1984
Entrant: Nigel Palmer
Race / Practice: 'Hailwood Trophy'
75th Members' Meeting of the GRRC 2017
Goodwood Circuit, Westhampnett (GBR)
March 18th 2017

GEAR
Canon EOS 450D
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 APO EX DC OS HSM

F/5, 1/160, ISO-100, 150mm (2017)

I went to college with Brian K Sansom (Mr BKS leathers) 30 something years ago. Back then, he was in an Adam Ant phase and wore clothes he'd stitched himself. Now makes a VERY good living at it!!!

I bought this about 3 years ago ,I wasn't looking to buy a bike but when I saw this I just had to own it :) Its a 1600 Heritage softail
Rob
P7170076.jpgP7170078.jpg

Hi, a rather personal pic from me ... --- In 1968, we went to Rotterdam, because there was a Harley dealer who built Harleys from WW2 spares.

On our way, we checked out another offering:

mot-Unbenannt-Scannen-18.jpg

(A good used BMW R/50 was around 1000 DM then, the same as a rebuilt Harley. But I wanted something special, and got my 1929 Harley then ... )

Bet you wish you still had the (?)JD!

What do you buy the biker who has everything?

untitled shoot-035.jpg by R Hillman, on Flickr

A caravan to pull! So cute this little thing, if I had room I would buy one just for the next club rally, could just imagine the comments if I turned up with this behind the bike!

Last edited:
Bet you wish you still had the (?)JD!

Sure!!! But at that time, things looked different. I bought my 1929 Harley for 850 DM, and sold it after a few months for 1400 DM.

I simply wanted a bike to use. The Harley had electric problems, in the generator there was always oil. So, the bike ran on battery power,
until it was drained.

Through vibrations, it lost nuts and bolts, inch sized. In Germany, we were metric. But I knew a guy with a Caterpillar bulldozer,
who helped me with nuts and bolts.

In the end, my vintage Harley was not much fun. It had to go.

After the Harley I bought a 250cc BMW R26 (for 250 DM), I enjoyed trouble-free biking, and had BMWs ever since ... ---

My 1929 Harley would be worth a fortune today. But at that time, I could not look into the future ---:LOL:

I think we've all been there! I just wish I had had enough money in my teens to buy just a few of the clapped out old sports cars that were being all but given away. Even better, travel back in time and stash away a few of the old crocks that were too thirsty to keep on the road in the '40s...

I think we've all been there! I just wish I had had enough money in my teens to buy just a few of the clapped out old sports cars that were being all but given away. Even better, travel back in time and stash away a few of the old crocks that were too thirsty to keep on the road in the '40s...

Hi, near the end of the 60s, a 300 Mercedes or a V8 BMW could be had for 1000 DM. But things were much tighter then, for me.

I still remember sitting in my 2CV with my girlfriend, listening to "If you come to San Francisco" on a transistor radio.

My 2CV was 1200 DM, a flight to San Francisco was 4000 DM. So, very far away for me then ... ---

But when I was 22, I became financially more independent, and all in all, I was (and am) satisfied with my life ... ---

Probably just as well it has very little performance - its brakes would struggle even more if it did go well!

Probably just as well it has very little performance - its brakes would struggle even more if it did go well!

You 're right! Some sidecars even did not have brakes then ... ---

Not forgetting that there's only one thing scarier than riding with a sidecar fitted - being a passenger in the sidecar!!! NOT A BAD IDEA!!!

Had a Jawa 350 and sidecar, only took it out once with me dad in the sidecar, scared me witless! Sold it straight away.

Quite fancied the practicality of a bike and chair but a 100m ride along a drive cured me!

Quite fancied the practicality of a bike and chair but a 100m ride along a drive cured me!

Hi, in winter, a bike with a sidecar had impressive handling, if you mounted an mx or Trial tire on the rear wheel.

But clothing was very poor at that time, so, not much fun ... ---

Hi, in winter, a bike with a sidecar had impressive handling, if you mounted an mx or Trial tire on the rear wheel.

But clothing was very poor at that time, so, not much fun ... ---

:plus1:
my friend at college in scotland who lived in the stirling wilds used to attach a sidecar frame to his bike and put a flat piece of ply on it with some weights and rode it solo...said it was lots of fun in the snow and ice
never missed a class

A new exhibit arrived last week for our Transport Museum at Bury.
I was there to set the Velocette in place and take a few pics!

Arrival Low Res.jpg

Ready to Roll Low Res.jpg

Enter your own caption!

Cop Carrying Low Res.jpg

It had been one helLE of a ride...

Back