motorbikes old/new...open thread??

Other than biggish twins, my favourite bike noise is an air cooled straight 6 at flat chat! LOVE that wail.

I had a CB900 at 18 and went every where flat out, I often wonder how I'm still alive ! Mine was candy apple red with a deafening alpha straight through pipe.

The CBX is a unique bike to ride being ultra smooth really got going above 5000rpm...it was slow by todays standards but back in the early 80s it was the fastest production bike until the gpz1100 made an appearance.

I had a candy red CB900f and a candy red CBX1000.
Some engine maintenance on my old CBX....IMG_2135.JPGIMG_2134.JPGIMG_1950 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Hi, not many bikes at the US Cars & Bikes event on Wednesday ... :

L1017279_DxO-z50p-c-tp.jpg

Hi, seen yesterday for the first time, a VINCENT:

D80_5375-n70c-tp.jpg

Double drum brakes (!):

D80_5380-n70c-tp.jpg

If you see another one, have a look at the back wheel - chances are that it'll have a sprocket on each side so the same wheel can be used for hauling a sidecar as well as using while solo.

Roger, good turnout at BMAD yesterday (and apparently the other days too.) I was on a very similar bike but mine's a Speedmaster and a few years older - no poppy banner either, just Mrs Nod!

If you see another one, have a look at the back wheel - chances are that it'll have a sprocket on each side so the same wheel can be used for hauling a sidecar as well as using while solo.

Hi, maybe I get a look at more VINCENTs. The owner belongs to a small club in Wetzlar. One member has his own museum (by appointment only).
If I go to Wetzlar on May 19, I might get more information ... ---

Now, a dramatic intermezzo: A 30s bike race - Vincent vs. BMW!

D80_5692-n70c-tp.jpg

D80_5695-n70c-tp.jpg

D80_5698-n70c-tp.jpg

Winner: Vincent! :)))

Hi, the #2 in the 30s bike race, the BMW R4 :

DSC01630-nex5-s28-tp.jpg

D80_5704-n70c-tp-R4-33.jpg

A big question: Was the race fair? The VINCENT is from 1937, the BMW from 1934.

On the other hand, the VINCENT rider was born in 1937, the BMW rider looks much younger.

VINCENT bike and rider are over 80 years old! - So the race was fair, I think.

(And I wish us all the same health and fitness, when we are over 80 ... --- :) )

The BMW rider probably has (worse!) piles than the Vinnie pilot!

I really hope that that gets used rather than being a trailer queen.

I really hope that that gets used rather than being a trailer queen.

I think so. But more for short trips, I suppose. ( I can tell from the number plate.)

For long-distance riding like I did in the 70s to Portugal, Sweden and England lots of times, the BENELLI is not the right bike.
I am not sure, whether it's got an O-ring rear chain.

But the riding couple looked well equipped. They wore HARRO leathers, the company I got mine made to measure from.

So, I think they have other bikes, and one for travelling ... --- :

D80_5814-n70c-tp.jpg

Hi, an NSU Max combination. The engine is 300cc, from Austria. - In Germany it was only 250cc, due to driving license regulations at the time:

D80_5417-n70c-tp.jpg

Hi, a Maicoletta, never seen before. MAICO supplied bikes to the Bundeswehr and other government agencies.

Their mx bikes were quite successful in the 60s (in Gemany):

DSC01632-nex5-c-tp.jpg

C of G looks a long way up? Nice though.

Hi, needs circumspect packing, I suppose. I never put anything in the top-case of my BMWs when riding, used it only for storing the helmet(s) when parking ... ---

(For me, it is always nice to see a BMW (having owned 6 over the years) ...)

L1017280_DxO-z50p-tp.jpg

A friend of ours in Crete has a couple of Hercules among a fairly extensive collection of old bikes from the '20s to the '80s. Used to have an ever changing selection in his bar but too many people were ignoring the "DO NOT TOUCH" (in several languages!) signs so he took them all home. His daily rides in Summer rotate between a 72" Shovelhead Harley and a pair of Zeds - a 650 and a 1.

Hi, maybe my BMW R26 is still around somewhere in Greece. I sold it to a Greek guestworker in 69 to buy my BMW R51/3, moving up to 500c and 2 cylinders,
but losing suspension comfort on the rear end ... ---

With this bike, I went to Ibiza with my then girlfriend. Today, I would not ride around the block on a bike like this.

The things you do, when you are young ---

Too true! sometimes wonder how I lived to see my 30s let alone 50s!

Back