motorbikes old/new...open thread??

DSC_2568-Edit by Trevor, on Flickr

Colour edit. 1943 Model 18. Found in a field near Arnhem. Speculation that it was dropped before the Battle. Subsequently bought back to England and used as a trials bile for 30 years. Unrestored. Note the leather case behind the seat, this is a map case found in Passchendaele. Stamped 1917.
This info from current owner.

Is the dogs arse significant?

Only in that it damn near crapped itself when he started it up for me! Could do with some more baffles...

The Kwacker behind the Triumph...….a Z1B me thinks, oh happy days(and that would be 44 years ago!) riding down from Scotland to Morecombe on a totally empty M6, needless to say it didn't take long;)

A couple of mates of mine have Zeds - one a Z1 and one a Thou. Both are far better in memories than in real life in the 21st century!

A rare beast, although I know of someone who has a couple. Modern versions are available - at a price! (Nowhere near the cost of an original though!)

A rare beast, although I know of someone who has a couple. Modern versions are available - at a price! (Nowhere near the cost of an original though!)

Hi, for me, this was the first time in my life I saw a Brough Superior live. So, the Eifelfahrt is a must-attend event for me from now on. ---

The Brough Superior in motion:

D80_6958-n70c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see any classic being ridden rather than being a trailer queen (or king!)

I love being able to see exposed valve gear and other mechanical parts doing what they do!

Just wondering how it's started - keine kupplung, kein kickstart means (if Google translate knows anything!!!) no clutch, no kickstart... Shifting between the 2 gears should be easy enough with no clutch but starting and pulling away would be harder! The race results on the info sheet hint at a race pedigree - maybe it was only supposed to pull away once per "journey"?

I love being able to see exposed valve gear and other mechanical parts doing what they do!

Just wondering how it's started - keine kupplung, kein kickstart means (if Google translate knows anything!!!) no clutch, no kickstart... Shifting between the 2 gears should be easy enough with no clutch but starting and pulling away would be harder! The race results on the info sheet hint at a race pedigree - maybe it was only supposed to pull away once per "journey"?

Hi, I should have asked the owner, but was too busy taking pictures before other visitors came in my way.

I suppose, starting meant just pushing until the engine kicked in. The missing clutch might have been compensated by disengaging the final belt drive.
But changing gears must be noisy. Stopping the engine could be done by cutting the ignition... ---

No idea what this is, taken at Tansfield WW2 weekend

p2251501436-5.jpg

1921/22 Matchless Model H. (Again, Googling the registration number tells me that!)

Now I know it's a Matchless, I can just about make out the name cast into the side of the crank case.

Always worth a quick Google of a registration number for an "interesting" vehicle - even if it doesn't have a specific entry somewhere, it might have a Flickr (or similar) tag which may well have more details, either in the shooter's notes or in the comments.

Not mine byt i thought you guys/gals would like to see these.

View: https://BANNED/norton_ceo/status/1153582841156050945?s=09

Not mine byt i thought you guys/gals would like to see these.

View: https://BANNED/norton_ceo/status/1153582841156050945?s=09

I really hope (for Norton and the new owners' sakes) that they've sorted the V4 better than they had the reissue of the Dommy/Commando twins...

I sort of miss riding mine until I'm sitting in traffic or wheeling its replacement around by had when I remember just how heavy and hot it could be! Forking awesome on the open road though!!!

Mine awaits some gentle bobbing.

A military trike.

Military Trike by Stan, on Flickr

Interesting technical point... Would that be a sidecar outfit with a powered sidecar wheel (if it is that variant rather than the undriven chair wheeled version) or an offset trike?
Geek point now!!! The MG34 as mounted on the chair was used as the Stormtroopers' weapon in the original Star Wars film.

Interesting technical point... Would that be a sidecar outfit with a powered sidecar wheel (if it is that variant rather than the undriven chair wheeled version) or an offset trike?

Hi, if it is a R75, then it has a driven rear wheel (it can be engaged, and had limited slip). The front wheel does not look original. But there may have been different versions ... --- :

http://www.fahrzeuge-der-wehrmacht.de/Artikel/BMW_R75.html

Last edited:
Looking at the biggest size image on Flickr, I can see that what I thought was a driveshaft to the chair wheel is just a shadowy area of grass! As for different variants, I would expect there to be plenty, especially after 75 years.

Looking at the biggest size image on Flickr, I can see that what I thought was a driveshaft to the chair wheel is just a shadowy area of grass! As for different variants, I would expect there to be plenty, especially after 75 years.

Hi, I do not have a R75 in my files, but I shall keep on trying. Perhaps there will be one at Schwetzingen ... --- :

D80_6275-n70c-tp.jpg

Hi, some highlights of the private motorcycle museum in Otterbach founded by Heinz Luthringhauser, sidecar TT winner in 1974:

DSC04012-a7r2-3-s35c-tp.jpg

A replica of the BMW 500cc, ridden by TT winner in 1939 Schorsch Meier:

DSC04014-a7r2-3-s35-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Back