motorbikes old/new...open thread??

Hi, I must slow down a little, only 1 bike/week to make my pics last to the next season ... :

DSC04376-a7r2-3-s35-tp.jpg

I had a slightly earlier version of the CX, aftermarket fairing, lovely bike on paper,till it blew up, think that was downt to a "genuine" oil filter breaking up. There were many "genuine" oil filters on sale that weren't genuine, very good copies visually, including the packaging but not up to the same standard. Dealers were selling them for the same price as OE equipment to maximise their profits.
Handled like a pig, frightened me most of the time, especially in the wet, replaced eventually by a Devon built Matchless G80 (Rotax engine)that was a lovely bike apart from breaking it's spokes, stalling at the light and hating traffic with its on or off Delorto carb. Nice memories of my middle age.

Last edited:
IIRC the Silver Wing's fairing acted more like a wing than an air dam at speed so it got a bit lairy above 80. Fine at legal speeds though.

The SS being a weekend dream? ;)

In a similar but far softer vein...

stable mates - although the Bobber replaced the Rocket III so they never shared the driveway!

51430031.jpg

Gotta love an old Harley! Not so keen on Evos or newer but would be happy to have a Shovel or earlier. Not sure my back and kidneys are up to a rigid though.

Gotta love an old Harley! Not so keen on Evos or newer but would be happy to have a Shovel or earlier. Not sure my back and kidneys are up to a rigid though.
Ha-ha, Evos are the new Shovels (see my 92 FXR in the background) the Techies in the dealerships don't know how to work on them. Twin Cams are the ruination of the marque, won't have one or later model.

Too mechanical for techies - need proper mechanics!
Used to run an 88" shovel lowrider while its owner was working in Saudi in the early '90s - great to ride but took almost as much time fiddling as riding. Wish I'd had the cash to buy it when he got rid but get far more riding time with my Bonnies (moderns).

Nah - they don't go fast enough to get that far through!!! :p ;)

As an aside, saw a new Rocket III on the road today. Looks like a Diavel on steroids rather than the behemoth that was the original.

Looks better in the flesh. Despite losing 40kg+ from its older brother, it's still a big, heavy lump to wheel around but (apparently) doesn't feel anywhere like as heavy once moving - I know the older "little" (if a 2.3 litre bike can be called little!!!) version handled far better than its bulk suggested it should. Not sure whether to put my name down for a test ride - I can resist anything but temptation and the lure of all that torque might be too much to resist!

Looks better in the flesh. Despite losing 40kg+ from its older brother, it's still a big, heavy lump to wheel around but (apparently) doesn't feel anywhere like as heavy once moving - I know the older "little" (if a 2.3 litre bike can be called little!!!) version handled far better than its bulk suggested it should. Not sure whether to put my name down for a test ride - I can resist anything but temptation and the lure of all that torque might be too much to resist!

Hi, it looks and is quite something. --- I saw a review on youtube and nothing negative was mentioned about handling. Everybody was impressed by the torque ... ---

(My last and biggest bike was the BMW R100 with 67 hp. Things have changed quite a lot since 1986 ... )

If it fell over you would have to call the AA.
I think my next one sooner or later will be the new Yamaha T700
At the moment I have a Honda CRF250 which I wish was bigger and an XSR700 I wish could go more off road.

The trick is to keep it on its hoops! The acceleration (on the little one) was mind bending, especially given the rather relaxed riding position. Incredibly comfortable even sat out in the wind at "70 miles per hour yer 'onour"! Have to admit that I prefer the look of the old version - it's a huge lump rather than the Diavel the new version is trying to look like.

An added attraction is being able to say "Nice bike - small but nice!" to Harley riders! :p at 140 ci, it's a bit bigger than even the biggest HD. Much as I enjoyed mine (Rocket), it simply wasn't getting the use it deserved so I PXed it against my Triumph Bobber. Far more practical as a day to day ride, even with a comparatively meagre 100 mile range on a tankful.

Is the T700 the new Super Tenere?

I rather like the idea of a Langtouren!

Hi, remember the 60s slogan HONDA used in the U.S. You meet the nicest people on a HONDA ... ?

D80_6757-n70c-tp.jpg

Back