motorbikes old/new...open thread??

Cheaper than a "real" Z900!

MOT time for the Speedmaster tomorrow. Hoping for decent weather and might try to remember the camera...

MOT time for the Speedmaster tomorrow. Hoping for decent weather and might try to remember the camera...

Partial success - got the MoT done with the only advisory being for the loud pipes it wears (just like every year!!!). The definite smell of rain in the air made getting it there and back in the dry more important than getting any photos - needs a damn good clean too!

IMO the new Kat doesn't really look right. Maybe it's because I remember the "real" one. I'm sure the new one is a better bike, just doesn't look as good to my eyes.

IMO the new Kat doesn't really look right. Maybe it's because I remember the "real" one. I'm sure the new one is a better bike, just doesn't look as good to my eyes.

I agree. I certainly wish I’d kept the 1100 that I used to have.

A mate of mine had one when they first came out (brand new) and was a little disconcerted to find that when running in, the upper rev limit in top was 120 MPH...

Nik (I think) from BSH has a new one on long term test from Suzuki and is doing odds and sods to it to improve the looks - first thing to go was that rear mudguard/number plate hanger. Looks a bit better with a tidied tail.

Looks more like a 180° V twin than a parallel one!

Managed to get my small g*lf bag wedged into one of my panniers with my suitable trousers and shoes in the other side this morning. Too bloody hot for the full leather/armoured denim kit so was roasting when I got home afterwards! Should have taken a snap or 2 but a) it was too hot and b) it was rather inelegant!

Hi, two longitudinally mounted horizontal twins.

MARS:

DSC00790-a7r2-3-tp-2.jpg

VICTORIA:

DSC00788-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

BMW mounted their twins at a right angle, which improved cooling. But this required bevel gears for the shaft drive, which might have been a challenge for manufacturing then. -

Maybe, friends with a deeper engineering background here in this thread know more ... ---

Last edited:
Bonnie had a short run this morning between showers. Passed her MOT with flying colours and no advisories. Not been started for too long (6 months or more) but fired up on the first prod of the button. Just managed to get the cover back on before the rain restarted, after an hour to cool off. Needs a clean!!!

DSCF5468.JPG

Back