motorbikes old/new...open thread??

1/2 tempted to de-cat the Bobber so I can add a few drops of "R" per tankful just for the smell.

Makes me cringe to see riders in shorts and T-shirts. Looks like he's got gravel rash on his shins already.

Makes me cringe to see riders in shorts and T-shirts...

Yes, in an accident, this would lead to very nasty injuiries. On the other hand, I must admit that in the 70s in Spain and Portugal I rode in a similar outfit, and not in my leathers ... ---

D80_0903-n70c.jpg

I would love to ride while we're on holiday in Crete and have even looked into buying a bike to keep over there but it's too hot for decent protective kit and the standard of driving there is too low to risk less!

I would love to ride while we're on holiday in Crete and have even looked into buying a bike to keep over there but it's too hot for decent protective kit and the standard of driving there is too low to risk less!

We travel(hire car) around Greece 2-3 times a year on our hols, particually on the mainland. I cringe constantly when I see high powered bikes (Greeks) zooming past at ridiculous speeds wearing just shorts and flip-flops, no helmets........and I'm sure you can confirm many of the roads are not in the best of repairs..........it does look fun though - ooops!!

We travel(hire car) around Greece 2-3 times a year on our hols, particually on the mainland. I cringe constantly when I see high powered bikes (Greeks) zooming past at ridiculous speeds wearing just shorts and flip-flops, no helmets........and I'm sure you can confirm many of the roads are not in the best of repairs..........it does look fun though - ooops!!

The things you do when you are young, and when you feel nothing can happen to you ... ---

I have memories of a 70mph rear tyre blow out on a hired bike while travelling between Sitia and Ierapetra on Crete, wife 3 months pregnant on the back too. I didn't drop it, but could have binned it so easily, and yes, we were wearing helmets, jackets and trousers. That would have been in '87 - not sure I'd do it again now.......

I have memories of a 70mph rear tyre blow out on a hired bike while travelling between Sitia and Ierapetra on Crete, wife 3 months pregnant on the back too. I didn't drop it, but could have binned it so easily, and yes, we were wearing helmets, jackets and trousers. That would have been in '87 - not sure I'd do it again now.......

Yes, thinking back, one finds how much luck one had ... --- :

D80_0905-n70c.jpg

A proper "Mongrel", that Trump!

Seen a few Enfield Diesel conversions, is that one as ugly on the other side as most of the others?

Marco Simoncelli at Indianapolis in 2011. He sadly died two months later at Sepang. Shot with an Olympus E420 and the 50-200mm lens at 200mm F/3.5 then cropped.

P8280114crop.JPG

Local treffen or just a club ride out?

I don't think they are ugly . Just different. I have seen perhaps 3 or 4 in total, and all of them were covered in diesel oil leaking from somewhere or other.
Apparently they can do 60mph - eventually! The consumption is around 120-130 mpg which means the 3 gallon tank would get me from home in Durham to the south coast. I believe the engine is derived from that powering a dumper truck making about 10bhp!

I can see one problem though, if it has the usual induction alternator with a 12v system it will be producing about 100watts max and with such a low revving engine it may be a bit touch and go to keep the battery charged at night when the lights are on..

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they are ugly . Just different. I have seen perhaps 3 or 4 in total, and all of them were covered in diesel oil leaking from somewhere or other.
Apparently they can do 60mph - eventually! The consumption is around 120-130 mpg which means the 3 gallon tank would get me from home in Durham to the south coast. I believe the engine is derived from that powering a dumper truck making about 10bhp!

I can see one problem though, if it has the usual induction alternator with a 12v system it will be producing about 100watts max and with such a low revving engine it may be a bit touch and go to keep the battery charged at night when the lights are on..

Thanks for that John. I see this fairly frequently. Must speak to the owner. I’ll report back (probably in the Spring)

Same here. I even tried one on a few years back (a Brutale IIRC) but the seating position made my left hip feel like it was popping out and the body shape felt like it needed to be at over 100 MPH to get the weight off my wrists! On top of that, I couldn't help feeling that my license (and probably my self!) would be short lived if I had one.

(Apparently they have a tendency to boil their rear brake fluid too.)

I'm not into sports bikes, but there is something about these MV's which make me look twice......nice.

Hi, mature readers and riders in this thread will remember Giaccomo Agostini, the MV rider :

D80_0925-n70c.jpg

This was my first motorcycle!!!!! After me, it went to the US, passed through a few hands and I found it again, living a few miles up the road from me. I can't afford it now though! Photo courtesy of new owner.
GJn7K2c.jpg

Back