motorbikes old/new...open thread??

Let's all hope we can soon get out on the bikes with our mates, just like these two:)

Quite agree, but look at the lead rider. Apart from a helmet, he is wearing absolutely no protective clothing. A lightweight pair of trainers, no gloves, bare arms and no face protection, being hit at speed by a large fly or wasp is incredibly painful. That alone can cause loss of concentration and cause a rider to loose control.

In the event of a crash, and it doesn't have to be one of his making, his will finish up like a side of beef on a butchers slab.

The rider to his rear is properly kitted out and will have a decent/better chance of coming away from a crash with far less injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I go away (hopefully again later this year) I will wear all necessary protective clothing. If it is very warm, and there is no risk of rain I can remove the seperate Gortex liner. My jacket and textile trousers also has appropriate armour in the right places plus also have zips all over that can be opened to allow air to pass through to give ventilation. But there again I am aware I am not invincible so take the risk seriously.

When I go away (hopefully again later this year) I will wear all necessary protective clothing. If it is very warm, and there is no risk of rain I can remove the seperate Gortex liner. My jacket and textile trousers also has appropriate armour in the right places plus also have zips all over that can be opened to allow air to pass through to give ventilation. But there again I am aware I am not invincible so take the risk seriously.

That's the way to do it ! (y)

Had a Daytona try to break my leg about 40 years ago - could barely walk for a couple of hours!

The 88" Shovel I looked after for a while was relatively benign but I could stand on the kick start when it was on compression. At the time, I was rather too close to 20 stone (in riding kit!) Wish I could find some pics of it but at the time, I wasn't taking any photos and I have a feeling that the shots that were in BSH were lost in a fire they had.

The offending Harley, ironically it didn't come from the factory with kick starter, I fitted it and it was while I was first testing it that it bit me. :oops: :$

Hi, on my 1929 Harley the left grip could retard the ignition to avoid the back-kick when starting ... ---

As I said I fitted this kick starter myself they don't come factory fitted anymore so manual adv/retard is not required, all electronic ignitions now no points.

I see. - So, a kickstarter is dangerous then ... ---

Never knew we had this 2-wheel thread, wOw fabulous....! I've been motorcycling around 40+ years and still loving it.

I've two machines in my garage/stable, here's what I bought last July, such a brilliant deceptively quick 600cc Maxi-Scooter, the Honda Silverwing;

Silverwing by APM Photography, on Flickr

mac

justpix, where do you shoot all these wonderful motorcycles..?

Keep up the excellent camera work...! Thank you.

Cheers;
mac

Hi, thank you for your friendly appreciation of my activities! :) The bikes in motion I shoot near Oestrich-Winkel/D, where I found a spot for parking my car,
and I sit on the back seat taking the pics. I shall go there again over Easter, and after this, when the weather is good, and there are no vintage car events.

In Germany, many bikers register their bikes from April to October. The season is beginning now.

Parking bikes I shoot whenever possible ...

So, there is more to come!

Motorcycles & photography play a HUGE part of my personal life.....I adore both....!

Here's a photo of my 2008 V-Strom which I bought new in 2008 and still own it today, fabulous thing, ticks all the boxes. I've owned many motorcycles since I was 18yrs old, I recently turned the spritly age of sixty and still am extremely passionate about 2-wheels - it's in the blood.

Here's my Strom;

V-Strom by APM Photography, on Flickr

Regards;
Peter

Back