motorbikes old/new...open thread??

Hi, how nice that I am not always riding solo in this thread ... (y) !

Taken at my favourite position at Oestrich-Winkel/D :

D80_1107-n70c.jpg

Including the litre bottle of water. Essential in the southern Europe. I allowed myself to get de-hydrated in southern Germany a few years back and the world went into a swirling haze and my eyes could not focus on anything. I Stopped at one of the Autobahn rest areas and filled a couple of 1/2 litre bottles of water and they served to save the day. 30 mins later I was OK again. It was at that point I saw the sign above the tap 'Kein Trinkwasser' (Not drinking water). Too late by then, but suffered no ill effects! I have never left home on tour without carrying water since.

Hi, so you are a real long-distance BMW rider. (y) This is what BMWs are for!

Yup agreed 100%. I have downsized since my K1100LT it was becoming too heavy for me to man handle, so now have two K75 models and both have been way down to south Europe a couple of times This damn virus has paid for it this year as well as last, I can still look forward to next.. Being liquid cooled they just shrug off the extreme temperatures of 95c+ that you can get in Italy and Austria where air cooled ones can suffer when forced to travel slowly in traffic. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup agreed 100%. I have downsized since my K1100LT it was becoming too heavy for me to man handle, so now have two K75 models and both have been way down south a couple of times This damn virus has paid for it this year as well as last, I can still look forward to next.. Being liquid cooled they just shrug off the extreme temperatures of 95c+ that you can get in Italy and Austria where air cooled ones can suffer when forced to travel slowly in traffic. .

Hi, riding my R90/6 in 1975 from Germany across Spain to the Algarve, I had blisters between my toes from the heat of the cylinders. --- The things you do when you are young,.. ---

OOOOPs no one mentioned my miss quote the temperature should have been 95+F not 95+C

In 2014 I crossed over the Grossglockner in early June and at the very top (edelweisspitze the temperature was at 3pm registering on the outside thermometer 25c. Don't forget at the top you are within spitting distance of 8000 feet. I descended to the town of Lienz and set up camp for the next two nights. It was so hot on the 2nd night where the temp was 32. I packed up and rode back overnight to Oosterbeek - sheer bliss. (604 miles) in the cooler climes of Holland and got the boat home the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they probably still have 4* Leaded petrol there!

How long did it take you avoiding the A roads and Motorways. With the probability that I will not be able to bimble off over the continent this year I was going to do it both ways! Riding from my home to the North of Scotland and then right down to the south west and back up to Durham. It will take some planning to avoid all the main roads.

Hi John,
it took us 5 days, but we had to get to and from the start and finish points, so that was another two days, I am sorting my man-cave at the moment, so I can't find the exact route, but here is the rough route. Good luck, and ride safe.

1618147154949.png

Back