Motorcross last week

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, went to an MX meet last week, I’ve done a few for friends, so only concentrating on a single rider and grabbing some extra from stuff I like, but this was the first time ever trying to do a whole event, I wanted to see if I could do an event (for selling type purposes, even thou I’m not) so my first venture into 100’s (685 to be exact) so editing wise I’ve struggled massively. Mostly tried to aim for ‘what would they like’

I have a really dark and moody preference to my pics, so this is completely strange to me, I’m not to keen but ??

Just wanted your opinions ?

PPMC -Tincleton-578.jpg by Wayne Scott, on Flickr

PPMC -Tincleton-912.jpg by Wayne Scott, on Flickr

PPMC -Tincleton-002.jpg by Wayne Scott, on Flickr

PPMC -Tincleton-290.jpg by Wayne Scott, on Flickr

PPMC -Tincleton-504.jpg by Wayne Scott, on Flickr

PPMC -Tincleton-240.jpg by Wayne Scott, on Flickr

Well I like them. Well composed and sharp.

I've got a thing about static wheels so if I could keep everything else sharp I'd try dropping the shutter speed a little on the shots with visible spokes. Not too much though as particularly on the grounded shots the dust gives a good impression of movement. That said I've never shot motocross so not sure how easy that would be.

2 and 4 are my favorites.

I've got a thing about static wheels so if I could keep everything else sharp I'd try dropping the shutter speed a little on the shots with visible spokes. Not too much though as particularly on the grounded shots the dust gives a good impression of movement. That said I've never shot motocross so not sure how easy that would be.

Thank you, I agree, I do prefer that slight blur in spokes, I do have a few with blur and dust, but mostly I was aiming for the kick of dust/dirt to add movement, i found it hard to get both sharp dust and blurred spokes,, I’ve got around 150 odd, so these are just 6/7 plucked as examples, I’ll add a few with some movement.

Really like 3

Appreciate it, thanks

Just looked through and your correct I didn’t get any with motion blur, got a couple panning shots, but that’s it, need to figure some still motion into my next attemp. Thank you

Here’s a pan.

PPMC -Tincleton-562.jpg by Wayne Scott, on Flickr

I'm new to motocross but I agree with the comments regarding blur in the spokes. Lots of action and the dust is great. Between 2 and 3 for me with the bush obscuring the front wheel stopping 3 from being a very good shot.I tend to shoot at 1/250 or 1/320 generally and lower when I am panning side on. I'm enjoying shooting from a low angle so it is difficult to pan and I need that we bit less shutter speed to get the riders sharp. It's a tricky sport as there is lots of up and down movement as well as sideways so a pan can only freeze the rider so much

Nicely captured but your shutter speed is too high for my taste.

I agree 3 is the best of this set,
Number 5 is great too - lad must be only what 6 years old??!!
Thank you,Yes mate, 50cc auto, so between 6-8 I would say.

Nicely captured but your shutter speed is too high for my taste.

Cheers and yes, as above should/will try to capture a little more motion next time.

All clean sharp and sellable images, if you're shooting with the point of view to sell then your shutter speed is fine as you don't want to loose sellable images due to motion blur giving an out of focus rider, although i would suggest a shutter speed of around 1/1000 is enough to freeze most MX shots. Shooting to sell is different to shooting for yourself, also if shooting to sell there's little point editing all the images, just edit when they are sold :)

Last edited:
All clean sharp and sellable images, if you're shooting with the point of view to sell then your shutter speed is fine as you don't want to loose sellable images due to motion blur giving an out of focus rider, although i would suggest a shutter speed of around 1/1000 is enough to freeze most MX shots. Shooting to sell is different to shooting for yourself, also if shooting to sell there's little point editing all the images, just edit when they are sold :)
Thank you, this was exactly my approach, I never intended to sell or even really try, I wanted to know if I could do it and how to go about taking images for the “customer” rather than me, the few pans were for me and I tried plenty of others tests and such for myself.

I knew if I possibly wanted to make a pound I needed to first know, could I do an entire event where I had to capture almost every rider, possibly a few times in different places to give me the best possible chance of catching something they would like/buy and also could I manage such a sheer amount of pictures, at this event I shot raw as I wasn’t confident enough in JPEG to get it right, so I ended up with 675 raw images, I’ve learnt now.

I was quite happy with the results, so I did offer to edit and do any adjustment and send them full size digital copies to do as they pleased For £3 each or any amount for £10, I got around about £0 from it.
Either my pics are poor and worthless or they were all tight.

Appreciate the advise and input, makes me feel a bit better (y)

Thank you, this was exactly my approach, I never intended to sell or even really try, I wanted to know if I could do it and how to go about taking images for the “customer” rather than me, the few pans were for me and I tried plenty of others tests and such for myself.

I knew if I possibly wanted to make a pound I needed to first know, could I do an entire event where I had to capture almost every rider, possibly a few times in different places to give me the best possible chance of catching something they would like/buy and also could I manage such a sheer amount of pictures, at this event I shot raw as I wasn’t confident enough in JPEG to get it right, so I ended up with 675 raw images, I’ve learnt now.

I was quite happy with the results, so I did offer to edit and do any adjustment and send them full size digital copies to do as they pleased For £3 each or any amount for £10, I got around about £0 from it.
Either my pics are poor and worthless or they were all tight.

Appreciate the advise and input, makes me feel a bit better (y)
Only way to make money from Motocross is with onsite printing so the riders can view and buy products to take away on the day. Add a website for after sales for those who don't view at the track, very little money to be made from just selling jpegs after the event. I know this as shooting MX is my full time job :)

Only way to make money from Motocross is with onsite printing so the riders can view and buy products to take away on the day. Add a website for after sales for those who don't view at the track, very little money to be made from just selling jpegs after the event. I know this as shooting MX is my full time job :)
Thanks for the help, im not expecting much, i generally stick to stuff i know and being an ex-rider for some years and my lad rode for 6-8 years, mx is something i can relate to and "see" what looks good, well hopefully.

Back