Motorcycles

D

darkroom12

I have just stumbled on this and Motorcycles are my other hobby. Been riding since 1965 more or less continuously. She who must be obeyed thinks I need to grow up! I usually do 10-12 thousand miles a year on my two BMW K75's but this year it will be about 2000 only. My latest one was bought as a shabby wreck and if I can find the pictures I will post one.

The restoration was cosmetic in the main but a lot of the parts that can decay with lack of use were also replaced such as oil seals, hoses, tyres, battery, and control cables. It took me to Germany and onto Switzerland in 2019 and never missed a beat. Even fuel consumption was way above what I was expecting - around 60-62 to the gallon.

Attachments

• 1976 K75c After restoration.jpg
    1976 K75c After restoration.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 33
  • 1976 K75c Original state.JPG
    1976 K75c Original state.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
Only triple I've had was a Rocket III - Triumph not Beezer! Tempted by one of the new ones but they're way too expensive for a toy so I'll stick with a few baby twins (2x865 and one 1200) until I can justify one. Almost bought a K100 some years back but couldn't really afford it so passed.

Yes I have had more fun on the BMW liquid cooled triples than I think any other bike I have owned. (and I have had a few).Enough power to take me if I wanted well over 100mph (never done it). Economic, comfortable and not to heavy to manhandle into my garage. The other one has been over the 2nd highest Pass in Europe, Stelvio Pass in Italy which is as near as dammit close to 10,000 feet and of course the Grossglockner which is around 9000 feet. I once rode overnight from Lienz in Austria to Amsterdam to go home early, It was just too hot to stay in southern Europe. 90 degrees F at 10pm. That was close to 700 miles in one hit with fuel stops of course. The beauty of these triples is they are so well balanced there is absolutely no vibration except from the road you are riding on.

BMW triples are as literally bullet proof as you can expect. Both of mine are 1986 models 3 months apart and have done around 60K miles each, give or take. I have known these bikes cover as much as 250,000 in their lifetime, so mine are hardly run in yet. I don't need all singing and dancing bells and whistles, ABS brakes and the other gismos that seen to be put on bikes like ornaments on a Christmas tree. The one thing that was fitted to all K models up to the K1100 was a warning light if your rear light or brake light failed. Now that was a good safety device but it was dropped after the K1100 in favour of other more attractive accessories but have absolutely no addition to safety

I would have chosen to be the background in blur

So would I but this section is Photos : for Pleasure so C&C shouldn't be offered. ;)

I have had one of the new Triumphs , well two actually when I left BMW for a while. The 1200 Trophy bought in 1998 at a snip of a price, but too heavy, too fuel thirsty and not all that comfortable. Then in around 2006 I bought a late 900 trophy and that was different machine entirely, but it spat me off twice although the only thing that was hurt was my pride.
They had what I still think was a design fault with the calliper for the rear brake hanging down in the airstream and picked up all the crap sorry, road detritus and in the space of 4 months I had to remove the damn thing to free off the seized brake which was the cause of my errr --- downfall. There was no way around it, so it had to go. Back to BMW and never changed again.

Never liked ditchpumps! :p

3 Bonnies (of assorted types - one "normal", one [twin shock] Speedmaster [both 865cc] and a Bobber 1200) and a Royal Enfield Bullet 500 EFi.

Not managed many miles this year for some reason but hoping for a dry winter and a semblance of freedom,

Nicely cleaned, which I must admit is very rare, looking to remedy that and get it dirty again tomorrow !!!!
tiger (1 of 1).jpg

Back