Motorist faces jail for assaulting cyclist

Like I say a bike is not a vehicle persay so isn't duty bound by law to pull over but courtesy can always play a part inb any walk of life.

I cycle 50 miles a week in the heart of Edinburgh so I jostle with cars, taxis, buses, trams and other cyclists. You need your wits about you that's for sure and sometimes I think city cycling is worse than on the open road.

The section specifically for cyclists does say '' Be aware of traffic coming up behind you'' but doesnt say much about appropriate action should there be a lot of it.
The problem I may be facing is my vehicle, when behind a cyclist I have a choice, flat out in second meaning my engine is revving loudly or near stalling in 3rd (1985 indirect injection diesel) so I have to keep changing between the two, I also have to get close (not dangerously) to pass as my 0-60 is around 25 seconds with a top speed of around 55 I'm usually through all 5 gears while passing a cyclist. None of this is intentional but I can see how it might seem like I am intimidating or intentionally trying to frighten the poor guy in front. When I drive the family taxi I dont have these issues and overtaking a cyclist is way way easier. It would be nice (one chap does it) for the cyclist to think ''hang on, this vehicle behind me sounds like its struggling, Ill help it to pass safely'', that would really help me out no end. I wonder how drivers of HGV's cope.

It sounds like your commute is a nightmare, I admire your dedication, that would stress me out no end, but I'm not one for city's anyway, even large towns do my bap in.

I find it amusing that whenever a story like this crops up suddenly this 'us and them' attitude rears it's ugly head. People referring to cyclists as if they are a different species!

I'm a cyclist, I obey the rules of the road, I signal when turning, I cycle well in to the curb to allow vehicles pass me, I have never been involved in any kind of accident on the bike bar falling off of it a few times! :D

It IS legal weave through stalled traffic at lights, you get to the front so that you can get across faster and then pull in to let the cars by, that is what you are supposed to do. Drivers who apparently know it all must surely know this too.

On the incident, I doubt the driver would have done same to a bigger man, it takes a certain type to do something this bullish and stupid. I would bet this isn't the first time he's bullied and physically hurt someone, might just be the first time he's been caught

And that my friend is why we have so many problems in this world, adding ''and them'' to ''us''.

And that my friend is why we have so many problems in this world, adding ''and them'' to ''us''.

That was kinda the point, it should never be this way. It is a silly expression but it's one everyone know full well what the meaning of it is.

The laybys are fine for cyclists to use, and the highway code does state that a slow moving vehicle should pull over where appropriate, I would assume this includes cyclists. I take it you cycle in more urban areas? I used to cycle everywhere years ago, it was my only mode of transport, I often think about cycling again but im so out of shape it would probably finish me off altogether.
Correct.
The highway code.....
Rules for cyclists (59 to 82) Rules for cyclists, including an overview, road junctions, roundabouts and crossing the road. These rules are in addition to those in the following sections, which apply to all vehicles (except the motorway section).

Part 169.
Which, as previously mentioned refers to checking mirrors, as cyclists are not obligated to have mirrors infers this does not apply to cyclists. As 162-169 covers overtaking the onus is on the motorist to overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so

Which, as previously mentioned refers to checking mirrors, as cyclists are not obligated to have mirrors infers this does not apply to cyclists. As 162-169 covers overtaking the onus is on the motorist to overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

So, you read that as ''if you have no mirrors, totally disregard these instructions''? Really?

The ''onus'' is upon everyone to keep our roads safe, looking for loopholes so you dont have to isnt really helping anyone.

Last edited:
Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

So, you read that as ''if you have no mirrors, totally disregard these instructions''? Really?

The ''onus'' is upon everyone to keep our roads safe, looking for loopholes so you dont have to isnt really helping anyone.
No I didn’t read it as such I read it as applicable to road users for whom mirrors are a legal obligation, As they are usually wider vehicles that would require those overtaking to be fully on the side of the road of oncoming traffic to overtake

Last edited:

Apples & oranges. You're pretty much equating bicycles with tractors. I find myself in a queue because of a cyclist quite often. One by one, we overtake him/her and get on with our journey. Costs a minute at the most.

Yes, we no longer pay "tax" but we do pay VED. That means I pay to use the road, whether in my car or by motorcycle. I HAVE to insure both to use them on the road. When cyclists have to legally have insurance cover, I may change my way of thinking. You're not one of those lycra clad morons that like to ride 3 abreast are you?
You're certainly ticking all the boxes! :LOL:

Some people do become crazy when they get behind the wheel, I work for the local council doing street collections and to add to that cycle commute ,we get daily abuse and have had people deliberatley run over , drivers get out and punch the work force, knives pulled and regularley have to dive out of the way to avoid being run over by people driving on the foot path or even peoples front gardens.Most of the abuse comes from women . When we report the incidents to the police they have generally been great but it never seems to go any where. The lack of Police in the Midlands (and I guess everywhere ) Means that a growing number of people not just motorists think (or know) they can get away with anything.

Here is something that I think to myself sometimes, if I dropped my Landy into low range in front of a cycilist and cruised along at 3 MPH on a windy road passing several laybys and not bothering to pull in, how long would it take before they realised they were in a dangerous situation and red mist set in? A genuine question to any cycilists.

I would realize straight away that I was in a dangerous situation, here is a person in a 2 1/2 ton vehicle deliberately blocking the road (committing an offense) this would tell me that he /she mentally is not the right person to be driving a potential weapon. I use all types of transport , bicycles,moped, motorcycle ,cars,vans all the way up to HGV's and most of the problems are caused by one thing, the mentally unstable person in control .This ranges from things such as do they have enough of an attention span to drive safely without being distracted ( mobile phone the big thing here but plenty of others) are they of an aggressive personality ? are they Self centeredon't give a s*** ?
May be we should have the same type of system needed to get a Firearms license, has the person proven them selves to be unstable in the past , are they stable at the moment. All that said the people who don't give a Sh**!t still won't give a sh**t.

Back to the original post: if he has a driving ban will it actually stop him from driving?

I suspect he will drive anyway.

Which, as previously mentioned refers to checking mirrors, as cyclists are not obligated to have mirrors infers this does not apply to cyclists.

Only as YOU choose not to have mirrors on your bike. Surely it is in your interest to know what is coming up behind you? I know when I'm on a mortorcycle I want to be very tuned in to what's happening around me.

It amazes me that I see cyclists wearing earphones, surely being able to hear your local environment is essential to your safety?

And all the cyclists have failed to respond to the 3 abreast comment I made.

I hope your not one of those moronic power rangers on a motorbike :)

Moronic no, Power Ranger, no. Wearing appropriate clothing to protect myself should I come off, definitely yes, but haven't worn bright coloured leathers for about 20 years.

It amazes me that I see cyclists wearing earphones, surely being able to hear your local environment is essential to your safety?
Don't you use earplugs? And wear a helmet?
Wonder how much you can hear of your local environment.
I'm not condoning cyclists wearing headphones by the way, but I've seen car drivers with headphones, and pedestrians too.

Don't you use earplugs? And wear a helmet?
Wonder how much you can hear of your local environment.
I'm not condoning cyclists wearing headphones by the way, but I've seen car drivers with headphones, and pedestrians too.

I've never worn "headphones" while on my bike. Yes I wear earplugs, but I also have mirrors (which cyclists seem to think aren't cool). Not that the earplugs do much for me, many years of riding without them in the 80"s have left me with tinnitus, which is my own stupid fault. It wasn't the exhaust noise, it was the wind whistling through the helmet that caused it.....

I've never worn "headphones" while on my bike. Yes I wear earplugs, but I also have mirrors (which cyclists seem to think aren't cool). Not that the earplugs do much for me, many years of riding without them in the 80"s have left me with tinnitus, which is my own stupid fault. It wasn't the exhaust noise, it was the wind whistling through the helmet that caused it.....
The only thing that annoys me about cyclists is when in town, they pull out to pass parked cars etc without looking.
Even when on a motorbike with mirrors, I'd still look over my shoulder, and also do that if I'm out on my mountain bike.

Even when on a motorbike with mirrors, I'd still look over my shoulder,

AKA a lifesaver. Taught as part of the CBT but all to often abandoned pretty soon afterwards.

AKA a lifesaver. Taught as part of the CBT but all to often abandoned pretty soon afterwards.

The "life saver" protocol is 100%relevent when using any vehicle (from pedal power to many horses).......and the way some folk walk, makes sense to use it when shopping ;)

The "life saver" protocol is 100%relevent when using any vehicle (from pedal power to many horses).......and the way some folk walk, makes sense to use it when shopping ;)

Amen to that.... Especially for pedestrians....

Apples & oranges. You're pretty much equating bicycles with tractors. I find myself in a queue because of a cyclist quite often. One by one, we overtake him/her and get on with our journey. Costs a minute at the most.
yes but I am in a vehicle that cannot easily or usually can not safely overtake a cyclist, and on the road I use I quite often see HGVs behind cyclists who could easily pull in and let them past, but dont. I mean, its not much to ask, is it?

I would realize straight away that I was in a dangerous situation, here is a person in a 2 1/2 ton vehicle deliberately blocking the road (committing an offense) this would tell me that he /she mentally is not the right person to be driving a potential weapon. I use all types of transport , bicycles,moped, motorcycle ,cars,vans all the way up to HGV's and most of the problems are caused by one thing, the mentally unstable person in control .This ranges from things such as do they have enough of an attention span to drive safely without being distracted ( mobile phone the big thing here but plenty of others) are they of an aggressive personality ? are they Self centeredon't give a s*** ?
May be we should have the same type of system needed to get a Firearms license, has the person proven them selves to be unstable in the past , are they stable at the moment. All that said the people who don't give a Sh**!t still won't give a sh**t.
Good, especially the realisation of deliberatly blocking the road, now, what if I pulled over and allowed traffic to pass?

yes but I am in a vehicle that cannot easily or usually can not safely overtake a cyclist, and on the road I use I quite often see HGVs behind cyclists who could easily pull in and let them past, but dont. I mean, its not much to ask, is it?
If there's that many HGV's as you say, and he pulled over to let every one pass, he'd be as well walking.
Sometimes a bit of patience is required, and give cyclists their rightful place on the road.

Last edited:
I think I’m going to call BS on this. Just seems it’s all a futile attempt to support the belief that cyclists do not have equal rights to road use. Bottom line is they do.

Yes there are poor cyclists out there who breach road etiquette but there are as many motorists that do too.

Sorry but I think you're just trying to stretch thinks too far. I've seen plenty of HGVs safely overtaking cyclists. I would say it was far too dangerous for a cyclist to have to constantly pull over then pull out again. Are you saying that a cyclists safety is less important than you shaving a minute or two off of your journey?

Sorry but I think you're just trying to stretch thinks too far. I've seen plenty of HGVs safely overtaking cyclists. I would say it was far too dangerous for a cyclist to have to constantly pull over then pull out again. Are you saying that a cyclists safety is less important than you shaving a minute or two off of your journey?

Have a look at the road between Exeter and Tiverton (heading that way, especially). There are 2 stretches that are just about long enough for an old Diesel Landy to safely overtake a single cyclist, let along a pack of them and that's only if there is no oncoming traffic (rare!). On a Sunday, there can be queues of a mile behind a pack - fewer cyclists around during the week but plenty of tractors with trailers at the weekend adding to the hold-ups. FWIW, the road in question is an A road.

On open roads I can average 20mph+ on my road bike. If I were to start pulling in and out as you propose I would spend a lot of time slowing down, and getting back up to speed, causing more disruption to traffic overall rather than less.

The biggest threat to me as a cyclist is the explosion in suv/4x4/courier van use by drivers to selfish to use indicators to let drivers of hatchbacks, estates etc (often following too closely) behind them know there a hazard ahead.

(Or like last week a bus driver who chose to overtake without checking they had anywhere to go due to parked cars, meaning I had to stop, at least their driver mentor waved an apology)

As a car driver and cyclist I would go with the train of thought that there are idiots in every category of road user...

I think I’m going to call BS on this. Just seems it’s all a futile attempt to support the belief that cyclists do not have equal rights to road use. Bottom line is they do.

Yes there are poor cyclists out there who breach road etiquette but there are as many motorists that do too.
call what you like, but you have not driven a 34 year old diesel landrover nor have you driven the stretch of road that I refer to, so your "call" of accusations of telling lies is based on what exactly?

Have a look at the road between Exeter and Tiverton.
That's a road I know very well indeed and you're quite right about the chaos groups of cyclists cause on it and other roads in the area.

call what you like, but you have not driven a 34 year old diesel landrover nor have you driven the stretch of road that I refer to, so your "call" of accusations of telling lies is based on what exactly?

Well I haven't called you a liar but, if bicycles are causing you such problem and you've narrowed the cause down to you driving a 34 year old diesel landrover, I suggest you find yourself a more appropriate vehicle rather than just expect people to get out of your way.

Sounds like you have a vehicle that’s inappropriate for your needs in keeping with sharing the roads with other users rather than the belief that you are the supreme motorist between Exeter and Tiverton.

We'd have similar problems on the road I mention above in a much newer A class Merc. Both vehicles were fine at normal speed but their acceleration was woeful, making overtaking safely a matter of luck. There are few enough spots where it's safe to overtake a group of cyclists (or even one) in my car, let alone something slower.

There are few enough spots where it's safe to overtake a group of cyclists (or even one) in my car, let alone something slower.
I think that many readers won't have used these roads and so have no idea how little overtaking space there is. I got behind a group of perhaps 20 cyclists who were bunched up 2 or 3 abreast. Despite driving an Audi Coupe there was no safe space to overtake them between the Silverton turning (where I joined the main road) and Bickleigh (where they turned off to harrass the Crediton traffic).

Back