Moulting Willows

Edit My Images
Yes
Two shots of the Willow Tit in moult, the first was taken on the 12th and the second one today. Both taken in the same spot so think it could be the same bird.

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

Good captures Lammie ... (y) ... but I am convinced there is something more sinister than pure moulting going on here ... :cautious: ... we have two or three species visiting the garden that have been like that or worse since early in the season ... :shrug: ... methinx it could either be territorial fighting or perhaps over zealous youngsters on the nest pecking at their parents for food ... or worse still some sort of disease as it only seems to affect the head area ... :eek: ... and it is far too early for so many birds to be going in to moult as this normally happens late summer into Autumn, especially with the Robins ... :cautious:

I would welcome others views on this though as I do see it as a worsening problem ... :shrug:

BTB ... how are you so sure it is a Willow Tit ... :thinking:

:p

Good captures Lammie ... (y) ... but I am convinced there is something more sinister than pure moulting going on here ... :cautious: ... we have two or three species visiting the garden that have been like that or worse since early in the season ... :shrug: ... methinx it could either be territorial fighting or perhaps over zealous youngsters on the nest pecking at their parents for food ... or worse still some sort of disease as it only seems to affect the head area ... :eek: ... and it is far too early for so many birds to be going in to moult as this normally happens late summer into Autumn, especially with the Robins ... :cautious:

I would welcome others views on this though as I do see it as a worsening problem ... :shrug:

BTB ... how are you so sure it is a Willow Tit ... :thinking:

Ven, I was sure it was a Willow Tit and it was also confirmed by a very experienced birder that it was and he also said that feather loss could be down to moulting. But as you say some part of it could be down to the in-fighting etc.

Article on moulting here.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/features/moult.asp

Ven, I was sure it was a Willow Tit and it was also confirmed by a very experienced birder that it was and he also said that feather loss could be down to moulting. But as you say some part of it could be down to the in-fighting etc.

Article on moulting here.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/features/moult.asp

Cheers Lammie ... ;) ... interesting to note that article suggests the head feathers are the last to moult ... :cautious: ... given that this is not necessarily a given it is odd so many birds are turning up with tatty and, in some cases totally bald heads so early in the season ... :eek:

Something fishy going on if you ask me ... :thinking:

Last edited:

Cheers Lammie ... ;) ... interesting to note that article suggests the head feathers are the last to moult ... :susoect: ... given that this is not necessarily a given it is odd so many birds are turning up with tatty and, in some cases totally bald heads so early in the season ... :eek:

Something fishy going on if you ask me ... :thinking:

Glad you said that as I had been wondering about that too.

Back