Mount cutting kits

Edit My Images
No
Could anyone firstly tell me what the difference is between cheap cutting kits that are about £10, then some around £30 and then a big step up to around £150+

Any recommendations please? I need to be able to cut fibre board mounts with a 45 and 90 edge for club competition/exhibitions.

I have also just advertised for a quality secondhand one in the wanted section. Thanks.

I have both, a cheap one and an expensive one and to be honest I get far better results from the expensive one, I find the cheap one tends to not cut as well or takes more effort so I very rarely use it,

With a lot of care and practice, the cheap ones can give decent results. However, wavy edges that don't join up correctly in the corners are often the norm. They generaly don't have settable stops which make repeatability more difficult and idealy need an extra pair of hands to make sure the board and cutter don't slip once you start cutting.

My mum has a good one for her art work ( having just had a look, it is similar to the Longridge Duo... the name sounds familiar too), which is easy to use for creating stacked mounts, with perfect corners and straight cuts that are parallel. It has guide pins in the base board for getting the mount board square and stops built into a ridgid ruler/cutting bar. Though I think it falls into the (very)expensive category, it payed for itself when compared to buying precut mounts. This replaced one of the cheaper cutters which was becoming expensive due to the wasted board from minor lapses in concentration whilst cutting.

Longridge also, I find it really good especially for repeats.
Don't know if it is expensive compared to others, but I do remember when I opened the box it seemed a lot of money for a bit of alloy moulding and a
MDF "wooden" base plus cutters etc. Now having used it very successfully I think it excellent value.

C

often it better to buy precut mounts - either from a local framer or an online company... cotswold mounts is one...

I've been using a Logan Mat Cutter Model 301 for several years now with good results.
Sometimes I wish I were a chef so I could eat my mistakes but fortunately they have been few and
far between.

Another vote for Logan. I have the 450 Intermediate+.

They really are quite difficult to make mistakes with.

Back