Mounting & Presenting

Name
Phil Jones
Edit My Images
No
I've reached the point where I want to start printing more, and having done a 'lockdown project' of photographing my local village, I may be looking to do a mini exhibition in the local library, and even selling some of the pictures.

My questions are, what is the best way to present - am confused by the following;

- Looking at various Photo Societies Rules, (I'm not a member of any), they all seem to want photos glued onto a 50mm x 40mm backboard for presentation.

- Some articles say that to exhibit photo's they should be mounted/ glued on a board, and then a front mount glued on top, with a window to show off the image.

- I've also seen the mounts that you can buy which are like envelopes, with a window in front, where the photo is just slid into the envelope, with the need for any gluing.

Is there a 'standard' or is it a case of whatever you fancy doing?

The 'envelope type' mounts seem to be the easiest to use - as long as the picture size is right for the size of the mount - but not many tutorials mention these. Are they frowned upon?

Any advice would be gratefully received, as well as any tips on exhibiting and selling.

Thanks

Phil

I've reached the point where I want to start printing more, and having done a 'lockdown project' of photographing my local village, I may be looking to do a mini exhibition in the local library, and even selling some of the pictures.

My questions are, what is the best way to present - am confused by the following;

- Looking at various Photo Societies Rules, (I'm not a member of any), they all seem to want photos glued onto a 50mm x 40mm backboard for presentation.

- Some articles say that to exhibit photo's they should be mounted/ glued on a board, and then a front mount glued on top, with a window to show off the image.

- I've also seen the mounts that you can buy which are like envelopes, with a window in front, where the photo is just slid into the envelope, with the need for any gluing.

Is there a 'standard' or is it a case of whatever you fancy doing?

The 'envelope type' mounts seem to be the easiest to use - as long as the picture size is right for the size of the mount - but not many tutorials mention these. Are they frowned upon?

Any advice would be gratefully received, as well as any tips on exhibiting and selling.

Thanks

Phil

I think you’ll find most camera clubs prefer 500mm x 400mm, 50mm x 40mm is a touch small[emoji854]

I’ve done a few solo exhibitions, and took part in a few group exhibitions when I was in a camera club, so here’s my thoughts.

The convention for camera clubs is either surface mounted on a card, or window mounted, ie, an aperture is cut in the card and the print mounted on either a back board or hinge mounted with a piece of tape to the back of the window mount.

If it’s your own exhibition, then you can pretty much do as you please, it’s really a case of how much you want to spend. Window mounts tend to cost more, (but look better in my opinion) and I buy pre cut ones if I’ve got standard sized prints, usually from Cotswold Mounts. Anything unusual or bigger I cut myself.

I’ve not seen the envelope mounts you describe so can’t comment.

You don’t mention frames which is probably a good idea! That’s when it starts to get expensive. I’ve accumulated quite a lot over the past 5 years of doing exhibitions, and while I’ve bought a few at a stone, the cost does mount up and they’re bulky things to store.

There are other ways to display - for my next exhibition I can’t use frames due to the display boards that the museum use, so am I am looking at either pinning them to the boards or hanging them from a wire using bulldog clips. The last two Martin Parr exhibition I’ve been to both just used drawing pins to fasten them to the wall, so if it’s good enough for him.....

Hope this helps. I’ve written about my experiences exhibiting on my blog, I’ll try and post some links later.

That's brilliant - Thanks for your help Andy - and Box Brownie.
You’re welcome. Glad to be of help.

Likewise with Andy @viewfromthenorth

Plus best of luck with your plans and the opportunity that the mini exhibition will give you :)

FWIW and cannot recall if I covered this in one of the linked discussion threads I mentioned in post #2
I also had printed blank greetings cards and though I would not call the sales significant two of the four image cards sold nicely................one person alone bought 5 of one image!

So in case it helps here is the printer I used and will do so again:-
https://www.digitalcolourservices.co.uk/greetings-cards.html?scroll=897
It was the 150mm x 150mm ones I bought :)

Hi there. Usually all the rules are spelled out, sometimes they give examples.
Click these for tips that can help you. Either way, you're doing it right. I wish you good luck.

Last edited:
Back