Moving All photographs from main hard drive to external with Lightroom

Name
jo
Edit My Images
Yes
Not even sure if this is possible but...

I using Lightroom and so far unless I've manually copied my photograph elsewhere, all my photographs are saved to my mac's hard drive, but I really don't want them here, but to store them from the word go to an external hard-drive..

What I want to do, is move all photographs keeping to how it's cat i.e I use upload date. on mass to an external hard drive. Then delete the photographs on my mac's hard drive, then set up lightroom so when I upload photographs, they head off tot he external hard drive and not stored on my mac.

Is is possible and how do I do it?

Thanks in advance for any information or help

Took at look, it's pretty simple, the scary bit is knowing if I make a mistake, I lose the photographs. But have started to transfer over, which went very well at first, but ti seems to have stopped loading onto the hard-drive, not sure if it's just tired and needs a rest. But for the moment I've closed lightroom, and will try to transfer more again later.

Took at look, it's pretty simple, the scary bit is knowing if I make a mistake, I lose the photographs. But have started to transfer over, which went very well at first, but ti seems to have stopped loading onto the hard-drive, not sure if it's just tired and needs a rest. But for the moment I've closed lightroom, and will try to transfer more again later.

Tired and need a rest lol

I'd check your HDD isn't full, and I hope you didn't close lightroom when in was in the middle of transferring as that's asking for problems.

I never asked, but I should have checked - do you have a backup? Always, always backup your photos (to at least two different locations ideally).

LR shouldn't have stopped partway through. I guess the obvious thing to check is that your external drive has enough space on it to fit all your photos!

When I said stopped, what I actually meant was that I've only transferring a couple of folders at a time, and it decided to rest should i had, when I tried to load a couple more folders across. I'd drag the selected folders to the hard drive, and it would provide me with the transfer box.

Hard Drive is 2t and empty, so no issues with hard drive. I used to back up to an mycloud, and for some strange reasons the mac wouldn't recognise it's existence anymore and not as yet fathomed out why not... So arranging to sort out backing up another way. All edited and exported photograph are in separate folders, and back up to a cloud. So it's really the raw files from these, and any files I haven't edited yet.

But I really do need to go on a culling mission, has many photographs that are utter rubbish need to be removed. Bad habit of loading the card into lightroom without any culling :) . Lazy I know, and now paying the price of wasting time sorting it all.

Back