Moving From 4 to 2 Wheels

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Big change coming up for me. I realised that my car was parked on the drive almost all the time and was being used maybe once a week, so I got rid of it.
I do my commute by bus but it’s too slow and extends my working day too much. So I’m going to get my motorbike license and commute by bike, taking advantage of free parking, great mpg and a much faster commute.

I’m looking forward to it.

Big change coming up for me. I realised that my car was parked on the drive almost all the time and was being used maybe once a week, so I got rid of it.
I do my commute by bus but it’s too slow and extends my working day too much. So I’m going to get my motorbike license and commute by bike, taking advantage of free parking, great mpg and a much faster commute.

I’m looking forward to it.

Can I suggest that once you have completed the training and gotten your full bike licence....that you make contact without your local/nearest 'branch' of the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists). If they still operate as they used to they run observed rides to help all bikers improve their "roadcraft" with aim of improving to take the IAM test.

Back in the day I was a local group member and one of their observers ;) though gave up biking decades ago for family reasons!

I'd go for a Police run BikeSafe course/day rather than an IAM one. Might take a while to get on one of their days as they're such good value compared to alternatives.

As above, but also - Learn to see every other road user as being a blind fool who is out to get you. Self preservation is key. Wear full protective clothing.
This is coming from one who has spent several years in total in hospital and on crutches, and so far I've had 13 operations with another 4 coming up all as a result of a low speed crash when a drink-driver hit me way back in 1986.
I still ride, as its in my blood and is a huge source of pleasure, but do take care.

Reactions: Nod
As above, but also - Learn to see every other road user as being a blind fool who is out to get you. Self preservation is key. Wear full protective clothing.
This is coming from one who has spent several years in total in hospital and on crutches, and so far I've had 13 operations with another 4 coming up all as a result of a low speed crash when a drink-driver hit me way back in 1986.
I still ride, as its in my blood and is a huge source of pleasure, but do take care.

I’ve already bought all the protective clothing. All of it is light and has reflective inserts. The crash helmet is white and I will be applying reflective tape to it. I’m putting safety over style!

Again from back in the day when the "Bible" was the Police Training book Roadcraft for Motorcycle.

I see, not surprisingly, that it has been updated since then, if book learning would be of assistance in keeping you safe in combination with a course of some type:-

http://www.roadcraft.co.uk/motorcycle-roadcraft/

This site seems to be explicitly about the book!

I’ve already bought all the protective clothing. All of it is light and has reflective inserts. The crash helmet is white and I will be applying reflective tape to it. I’m putting safety over style!
Be careful sticking tape to helmets as it can affect its performance if it's a polycarbonate helmet.

I hope my last post didn't seem too full of gloom and reasons not to ride...

I started riding when I was 7 and have only ever not had a bike for a couple of years since then (when I was first in hospital)
There are few better feelings than a good ride on a sunny day.
And, for what it is worth, I met a nurse who became my wife when I was first in hospital.
Take that either way, but it seems like a good thing at least today..

I have a pair of eyes stuck to my helmet (reflective stickers as supplied my the manufacturer so should be polycarb safe!) - apparently people are more likely to register something that looks (vaguely) like a face than a blob.

The mantra, whatever you wear, should be "I will always ride defensively".

To all road users but especially those on 2 wheels ~ stay safe and keep it rubber side down;)

Reactions: Nod

Yup, bad things can happen.......I had a colleague who was badly hurt with life changing injuries but at that time it did not stop me riding. Her helmet saved her life even though it was so badly damaged, the police later asked her permission to include it in their training (museum?) kit to illustrate the importance of one!

On an equally sobering note, in a later job one of my customers was Hangers the artificial limb makers.........in the UK they made more right legs than left & vice versa for foreign countries where they drove on the right!!!

All good advice :)
I’ve been riding for a very long time it’s brilliant fun just know your limits it’s very easy to get a bend wrong

One other thing you need to consider is security. You cant just park a bike on the road all day every day and expect it to be there when you go to it. You will need some form of physical security, the stronger the better. Do some research as some products aren’t worth bothering with.

One other thing you need to consider is security. You cant just park a bike on the road all day every day and expect it to be there when you go to it. You will need some form of physical security, the stronger the better. Do some research as some products aren’t worth bothering with.

Yep, all in hand.

Yup, as thick a chain and as big a padlock as you can carry as well as a disc lock. Having the bike Datatagged can help put the bastards off too. Ideally lock the bike to something immoveable - it's not unknown for the toerags to simply lift a locked bike into a van.
An alarm will probably deter a casual thief but if anyone really wants the thing, they'll have it!

+1 for bikesafe, mine was in London run by police motorcyclists and was brilliant.
Have a great time on 2 wheels, I have been riding since 1971 but don't ride much these days, I need to get a smaller lighter bike instead of the Triumph I currently have, what are you getting.

+1 for bikesafe, mine was in London run by police motorcyclists and was brilliant.
Have a great time on 2 wheels, I have been riding since 1971 but don't ride much these days, I need to get a smaller lighter bike instead of the Triumph I currently have, what are you getting.

V-Strom 250.

V-Strom 250.
Nice, from what I know of Suzie's they tend to have a slightly lower build quality of say a Honda, so you may need to look after it a bit more in terms of paint and rust protection especially if you intend to use it through the winter. Do you have a garage or a cover of some sort?

Nice, from what I know of Suzie's they tend to have a slightly lower build quality of say a Honda, so you may need to look after it a bit more in terms of paint and rust protection especially if you intend to use it through the winter. Do you have a garage or a cover of some sort?

Yep, it’ll be garaged.

As you probably know, keep it locked (chain and steering lock - ideally chained down to a ground anchor) even in the garage.

Last edited:
Excellent decision. It's a shame the government and councils don't promote more use of motorbikes as effective, efficient personal transport. I commuted on a motorbike for years up the A3 to Hammersmith and later around the M25 to Slough. Unlike people in cars, I always knew I'd arrive roughly when I wanted and wouldn't be affected by the usual car and bus induced jams.

Motorcycles aren't dangerous - they are just intolerant of mistakes. So take care. +1 for IAM - well worth it.

Also, filtering is one of the best ways to ensure you make good use of your enhanced mobility. But it's obviously dangerous so your eyes need to be on stalks. Don't forget - watch the gaps, not the cars. Where there's a gap, a car will appear in it without fail when you aren't expecting it. Especially on the M25 when filtering between the outside and middle lanes.

Just remember - every car driver is an idiot, most want to kill you, none of them will see you and all of them are jealous of you filtering (which is legal by the way) and you wont go far wrong.
Most days are cold and/or wet and/or icy and horrible - but when it's nice it's the best feeling in the world and you have some great roads where you are.
Sounds like I hate biking - which is odd because I have been doing it for nearly 50 years and I'm still not ready to stop.

you can have both, I do, I have my Kawasaki 2004 z750 and have always had a small car, mainly a used citroen c3 so cheap and doesn't mind being left along for a while. my personal advice as a newbie would be just enjoy the riding and don't get to wrapped up in all the chat and BS, buy some good goretex gear, heated gloves from garbing are an absolute must. be prepared to rinse your bike down and dry it off a lot when riding in poor weather. fit as many crash bungs to your bike as you can. fit a givi box and rack to carry all your s***, then get a rucksack that fits in it snugly, don't wear a rucksack when riding if you can help it, make your back and butt sore. good confy soft boots, not the hard trail type and buy a big loose fitting size, snoods for your neck, loads of them.

you can have both, I do, I have my Kawasaki 2004 z750 and have always had a small car, mainly a used citroen c3 so cheap and doesn't mind being left along for a while. my personal advice as a newbie would be just enjoy the riding and don't get to wrapped up in all the chat and BS, buy some good goretex gear, heated gloves from garbing are an absolute must. be prepared to rinse your bike down and dry it off a lot when riding in poor weather. fit as many crash bungs to your bike as you can. fit a givi box and rack to carry all your s***, then get a rucksack that fits in it snugly, don't wear a rucksack when riding if you can help it, make your back and butt sore. good confy soft boots, not the hard trail type and buy a big loose fitting size, snoods for your neck, loads of them.

I don’t need a car because my other half has a Mini Cooper S. As for all the other stuff, well I’m well prepared. I’ve spent a small fortune on sensible clothing, protection etc.

Just had a call. The bike is being delivered this morning.

fit a givi box and rack to carry all your s***, then get a rucksack that fits in it snugly, don't wear a rucksack when riding if you can help it
I always felt very unbalanced when riding with a rucksack on my back and it badly affected how I felt on a bike, so ^ is good advice.

I don’t need a car because my other half has a Mini Cooper S. As for all the other stuff, well I’m well prepared. I’ve spent a small fortune on sensible clothing, protection etc.

Just had a call. The bike is being delivered this morning.
Exciting, however this is a photography website, so we want photos, lots of them :)

I always felt very unbalanced when riding with a rucksack on my back and it badly affected how I felt on a bike, so ^ is good advice.

yeah it moves the weight to the bike and not your back, always a good thing

yeah it moves the weight to the bike and not your back, always a good thing
I never liked a tank bag either, mine blocked off access to dials, moved the CofG up even higher (which is already too high on a Sprint GT1050 despite it's name) and felt it restricted bar movement too. Best place really is low down, so saddle bags/panniers are best. Top box is ok though as I never felt like it affected the CofG too much.

How are you going on with pot holes? It's dangerous riding around Manchester on four wheels let alone two. I see motorcyclists weaving around them a lot round here. Hope it's better where you are.
It's not better anywhere , I've hit 2 big ones in my van this week that probably would've buckled an alloy rim , our roads truly are shocking

I have just traded my Gt1050 for a Honda nc750x dct, looks similar to the Strom but no clutch or rear rack, storage is where the tank should be, hope you enjoy yours.

Last edited:
Back