Mow Cop Folly *** Contrast Boost Edit Boost Added***

I like that Dave - good aspect looking up there and the mono works well for me too :)

As you'll soon learn I'm a bit ( AKA Anal :bang:) "fussy" about crops/clipping and I wonder if it was possible to have shot or cropped the shot with the left edge of that Memorial stone fully in shot ?

Jim

I like these old ruins especially when in B/W. This looks too bright for me though.

Hi Dave. Liking the shot mate, bit bright for me too though. And, it's Mow Cop mate! Been up there a few times.

Thanks Guys

LOL Barry it was a typo its right on the border and now Ive changed the title

It doesnt look bright to me but if 2 peps say it is it may well be then, if I tone it down it may lose contrast

I do have the full stone shot Jim, but theres a distracting white cloud in the sky so being lazy I just cropped

Last edited:
FWIW - doesn't look "particularly" bright to me - there are some highlights on the foreground stones etc. but wouldn't class it as bright - I'd probably have "contrasted it to death" but that's just me and stonework :)

Wonder if the others are using calibrated monitors ?

JIm

I really like that Dave, I think that I would have been tempted to have the stone with the writing on that's in the foreground fully in frame :thinking: I could see this working really well for a night shoot, I'm thinking light painting, wire wool and even a little bit of star trailing (y)

Matt

I really like that Dave, I think that I would have been tempted to have the stone with the writing on that's in the foreground fully in frame :thinking: I could see this working really well for a night shoot, I'm thinking light painting, wire wool and even a little bit of star trailing (y)

Matt

...and possibly some fireworks :naughty:

FWIW - doesn't look "particularly" bright to me - there are some highlights on the foreground stones etc. but wouldn't class it as bright - I'd probably have "contrasted it to death" but that's just me and stonework :)

Wonder if the others are using calibrated monitors ?

JIm

Thanks Jim, to be honest theres no blown highlights anywhere so for my I choose the right exposure, my monitors calibrated so I dont know I cant see anything blown

Matt

Ta Matt as said in my PM, good place for a bit of light painting, or trails, but not of the car kind maybe a fire torch and someon walking up, but its an open position and a weight would be needed for the pod or try find some sort of shelter, I suppose on some days it would be quite calm but not today, as said my shot has the full stone but there was something with the cloud I didnt like so opted for a lazy crop Ill re do it 2moz and do a repost, I did do a slightly different shot from the right of the stone but didnt get the separation from the near midground stone so dumped that shot, it was awful windy up there I could hardly stand straight to take the shots, its a bit far for us to travel when you come up for the convention, dont think we could fit it in

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, to be honest theres no blown highlights anywhere so for my I choose the right exposure, my monitors calibrated so I dont know I cant see anything blown

<snip>

To avoid confusion Dave I didn't mean that i thought the highlights were blown :)

Jim

If you took it today then it was quite bright outside as I think the sun came out at one point :)

Looks fine to me.

I like the compositionDave and mono was an excellent choice for PP :clap:

can you tell me whre I can find that location- Im up in Staffs 16-18th December?

Les (y)

Great shot Dave, would you've so kind and inbox me the location please?

Thanks Anthony, Clicky Linky to map also see below in my reply to Les

To avoid confusion Dave I didn't mean that i thought the highlights were blown :)

Jim

Yeah thanks Jim I know you werent was just thinking allowed

If you took it today then it was quite bright outside as I think the sun came out at one point :)

Looks fine to me.

Thanks Suz, yes the sun did keep appearing from time to time so I got it as it lit up (y)

I like the compositionDave and mono was an excellent choice for PP :clap:

can you tell me whre I can find that location- Im up in Staffs 16-18th December?

Les (y)

Cheers Les Ive linked above to its location theres quite a few things about there as well such as The Old Man Of Mow Cop, and a water wheel heres the map that Geoff linked me too, mapage and info - http://www.mowcop.info/htm/maps/mapofmow.htm theres a carpark just below it so easy to get to right up to with the car

Last edited:
its a good composition and full of tones
i think a bit more weight in them would boost the impact
we all i think have mow cops in our files
this is one view i havent seen
cheers
geof

The composition works for me, and the B&W, but dare I say I find it lacking in a full range of tones....a bit flat.

Just my 2p's worth.

D in W

The composition works for me, and the B&W, but dare I say I find it lacking in a full range of tones....a bit flat.

Just my 2p's worth.

D in W

Cheers Dave, it seems, I need to bump up the contrast so any better

6423854611_47147c4c41_b.jpg

It IS better Dave! (y)
Looks like I don't need my monitor calibrating! (it's been done anyway)
First one still looks a little bright though.

it was really windy up there so will be going back again on a less windy day

:LOL: it's always a windy day up there, best time to go is early morning for minimum wind.

Nice picture and I agree the added contrast makes all the difference.

That looks alot better to me (y)

Back