MPB.COM my first experience not that great.

LASTOLITE

No longer has 4 inches
Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
LIKE NEW does not mean LIKE NEW for my trade

Lens focus ring was unusable sticking and had a judder on it
Lens rubbers were dirty
Lens shade was internally covered in mildew spots and the dirt accumulated in the clip fastener mechanism of the shade was not nice.

The staff were polite and professional on the phone but it was not backed up by a good product, I have received a full refund via BACS but not onto my credit card, so I now have the hassle of sorting that.

Along with 1 day wait for my lens pickup
1 day for their lens delivery
1 day for their lens pickup as it was not as described

On top of that a downgrade on my lens after a smudge on the rubber was found and a small mark on front element found under an infra-red lamp and the subsequent downgrade from excellent to good and offer price reduction - I wish I had never bothered with the deal.

I guess the lesson is dont get lens envy...and think a trade with MPB.COM is the answer

Lesson learned I suppose!

OP
OP
LASTOLITE

LASTOLITE

No longer has 4 inches
Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
No follow up either now, after I was told there would be. makes me feel better I got my full refund, However I am now going to buy a new lens. Had I not embarked upon this deal with MPB.COM I could have got a fair bit more for my lens on the open market. This whole experience has left a feeling of being completely let down and taken for my decent lens. MPB has sold my lens at a decent margin as see as its no longer for sale on their site.

I realise this is not their normal way of doing business as they have many very happy customers. Plenty of them on this very forum, Its just not great when the process falls down on you, or me as the case is here.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Sad to hear, sounds like really crap service. I’ve only ever used MPB once and to be honest found their service very sketchy. A missing lens hood took weeks to sort out and in the end they gave me £20 back from the sale and I think I ended up having to pay £27 quid or something for one!

I’ve asked a few times for quotes but never happy with their valuations, so given them a wide berth.

OP
OP
LASTOLITE

LASTOLITE

No longer has 4 inches
Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
Sad to hear, sounds like really crap service. I’ve only ever used MPB once and to be honest found their service very sketchy. A missing lens hood took weeks to sort out and in the end they gave me £20 back from the sale and I think I ended up having to pay £27 quid or something for one!

I’ve asked a few times for quotes but never happy with their valuations, so given them a wide berth.

I will not recommend them but our experience Is not the norm, It seems that as a major player in the S'H market on glass they seem to be setting the values

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
They are definitely inconsistent, I've had both bad and good experience with them. I've filled in suggestion forms they sent out in the past and one of the things I added was I'd like to see better close ups of any marks on gear, the 3-4 images they show can make any lens or camera appear fine. Not enough angles or close ups. Camera Jungle have a better preview, you get a full on magnified window you can scroll around to check for details.

My most recent trade went very well, they accepted 'like new' condition on my lens, and the one I traded for that was labelled 'good' turned out to be excellent IMO. But it's not always so smooth I know.

Last edited:

Mr Bump

The names Meldrew, Victor Meldrew
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just completed a deal with MPB as well and it was not a great experience.
My lens had accessories missing which were not declared as missing despite the lens being described as new.
MPBs response was we only grade the lens all the extras are not calculated or taken into consideration in a trade?

When I worked out how much it would cost to replace the accessories I was only a small amount of a brand new lens from Amazon.

I have returned the lens for refund but even that has been a poor experience as I was informed I would be refunded in full with the carriage which I haven't.
I also had to pay the special delivery to return the lens.

so all in all I also cannot recommend MPB on this forum.
On the other hand a recent experience with LCE London Camera Exchange was excellent.

1 * out of 5 for my experience

mpb.com

Advertiser
Edit My Images
No
I have just completed a deal with MPB as well and it was not a great experience.
My lens had accessories missing which were not declared as missing despite the lens being described as new.
MPBs response was we only grade the lens all the extras are not calculated or taken into consideration in a trade?

When I worked out how much it would cost to replace the accessories I was only a small amount of a brand new lens from Amazon.

I have returned the lens for refund but even that has been a poor experience as I was informed I would be refunded in full with the carriage which I haven't.
I also had to pay the special delivery to return the lens.

so all in all I also cannot recommend MPB on this forum.
On the other hand a recent experience with LCE London Camera Exchange was excellent.

1 * out of 5 for my experience

Hi @Mr Bump - sorry to hear about this.
I've just popped you a message to ask to send over your transaction ID so that our customer service team can look into this.

Thanks,
Clare

Mr Bump

The names Meldrew, Victor Meldrew
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Clare I have sent you a PM with the full details and my thoughts on what has gone wrong with my experience with MPB

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
Sold and bought from MPB and to be honest i have never had and issue in fact i had my Sony fs 700 i sold upgraded..My personal experience was always confident when doing any deals ....

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm willing to believe that they're mostly fine and the majority of people are happy, but I guess it's the old story: how does the company react when things go wrong? It seems to be here they fail the most. Even on this thread their rep responded to one poster's answer but ignored the OP's post until prompted. They also took an awful long time to update their returns policy inline with ..... ermmm ...... the law. I'm therefore not sure about their eye for detail.

nandbytes

I owe Cobra some bacon
Edit My Images
Yes
This is not the first thread of it's kind on these forums. I had to resort to a similar thread to get some attention. But apart from the sight delays everything else went smoothly with my trade in. I got paid the promised amount and quickly too once the equipment review and testing had taken place. It just took them slightly longer to test it.

For me the issue wasn't really the extra time they took, it's the lack of communication about the delay. A simple "we haven't forgotten about you, we are just busy" would have gone a very long way.

OP
OP
LASTOLITE

LASTOLITE

No longer has 4 inches
Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
Bought new in the end and very happy I did after the prices of 70 200 f2.8 V2lenses seem to have become abundant and prices dropped....I have changed my buying habits to not include second hand unless there are big savings over new to be had.

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
They tend to be my go-to trader when I'm looking to sell and upgrade. Never had any problems with any of the deals I have had with them.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
They tend to be my go-to trader when I'm looking to sell and upgrade. Never had any problems with any of the deals I have had with them.
^^^^ That for me too.

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Told me £250 less because D4 charger was not the original. No wiggle room either
Wow, £250 for a Nikon D4 charger. Surely there must have been other issues?

Edit My Images
Yes
Wow, £250 for a Nikon D4 charger. Surely there must have been other issues?
No, I never even sent it to them. They did their online quote and then I emailed them and said the charger was 3rd party and not the original.
I asked if that would affect the quote.
They emailed back and said they were taking £250 off the quote.
I emailed back to say I thought that was ridiculous. They emailed back and said, well D4 chargers are expensive mate.

Edit My Images
No
I've had good and bad experiences with them - bought two lenses and a teleconverter and delighted with all. I wasn't as impressed when it came to buying cameras, I bought one which was faulty and it was replaced by another faulty one. They were very helpful on the phone but in the end I thought it better to buy a brand new one

Edit My Images
Yes
I've bought several times and recently sold through them, never had a problem.
They give you a quote - you don't have to accept it.

OP
OP
LASTOLITE

LASTOLITE

No longer has 4 inches
Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
Great, good to hear a positive experience! Maybe I will give em another go!

NOPE, I wont Still waiting for a reply...LOL. its over now I cant be harping on its boring me, and no doubt many others...A good experience is great but a bad one has a more, lasting effect and definitely makes you think about using a company again. I see though from other posts on other forums and feedback channels its not all rosy in the garden. Pity as I am sure you could be the best...

Edit My Images
Yes
Used to use MPB quite a bit. However, last few occasions completely ruined by DPD's inept delivery. Lenses gone to wrong house and delivery not even attempted.

Edit My Images
No
Just bought some kit from them. Everything went smoothly.

OP
OP
LASTOLITE

LASTOLITE

No longer has 4 inches
Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
Contacted a few times and responded to no reply and no resolution AT ALL.

Will never use again.

FAIL

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Sold a load of gear the other week,everything went very smoothly.
From comments it would seem they don,t get it right every time

Name
Lew
Edit My Images
Yes
I have bought off them, I have sold to them and I have swapped kit with them and never had a problem, I found if they rated as good it WAS good and excellent was excellent, never had anything Like New though so can't comment. oh and they have always stuck to their quote, and I always give them the actual condition of my kit and not a higher one to get a larger quote.

Last edited: