MPB - Very Poor

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
No
Have resisted posting this but it has gone beyond the joke now.

Have only ordered three times from them and twice it has been below par.

This last episode is just farcical.

Ordered a Nikon lens and paid extra for Saturday delivery. Arrives Monday. Ok this happens but MPB consider my time on Saturday and taking time out of work on Monday to be worth £6.95.

Open the lens and there is no front cap, no hood (I'll get to that) and a ripped Olympus soft pouch.

Two days for MPB to return my email saying the hood wasn't included and they'll get the front cap to me.

Received the front cap today. It's a Sigma cap.

Stating 'original packaging' does not mean all the original accessories/manuals apparently so be aware. They say it's only included if it is mentioned and pictured in the advert. They could be clearer about this.

I have emailed them today so will see what they say.

I am guessing they have just gotten too big and attention to detail is out the window particularly when I read other reviews.

Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve had similar with mpb at times. It’s a real shame - they used to be number 1 for me. But now I use wex instead. They’ve been nothing but brilliant every time, longer warranty and it’s always a pleasure to call them and speak to an enthusiast too.
The ads on mpb state what’s included - I’m always surprised at how many sometimes don’t even have rear caps!
I was also surprised when my ‘original packaging ‘ was just an empty box.

Edit My Images
No
I will get in contact with the customer experience team.

Zac
You have a Customer Experience Team?
Maybe the team should take some time out to review the plethora of negative comments reported on this site over the last 12 months.

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Stating 'original packaging' does not mean all the original accessories/manuals apparently so be aware. They say it's only included if it is mentioned and pictured in the advert. They could be clearer about this.

I'd say it was pretty clear on the site...

But then I've never had an issue with them,

Edit My Images
No
I've dealt with them three or four times and I have no complaints about them at all.

Edit My Images
Yes
I've dealt with them three or four times and I have no complaints about them at all.
Fortunately, I've had the same experience, both buying and selling. However, it's not until something goes wrong that you find out how good (or otherwise) customer support is.

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Bought several items and also sold them a few bodies and lenses - always been top notch

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Most stuff I’ve bought from them has been fine.

Did recently return an item out of choice and they tried to not refund my initial postage despite it being the law to do so.

Get on online chat. They tend to get stuff sorted.

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
A new one for me, ordered a camera from them and they can't find it! Bit of a pain considering it was the cheapest of that particular model by £200.

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Never has anywhere near a reasonable quote from them. The last one was about 60% of the price my camera was selling for on TP.

Unless someone is desperate for cash stick to the forums classified section.

Edit My Images
Yes
Never has anywhere near a reasonable quote from them. The last one was about 60% of the price my camera was selling for on TP.

Unless someone is desperate for cash stick to the forums classified section.
If you sell something to a company like MPB that's the end of it, as long as it's as described and in working condition when checked. Sell it through a classified ad or online and you could be at the mercy of scammers, the postal system, a ham-fisted purchaser, etc. To some people, the extra few ££ may not be worth the potential mither, and peace of mind and a hassle-free transaction is more important. Each to their own, as they say.

Mr Bump

The names Meldrew, Victor Meldrew
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a similar issue with MBP about a year ago, I bought a leica lens and it didn't come with the little lens hood, I asked the question and it wasn't supplied.
I asked if they had any of the lenses in stock with the hood and they said no, I smelt a rat and just figured when these lenses were being traded in the hoods were being hived off as they sell on their own for £30 all day. I sent the lens back.

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Maybe you should contact their " customer experience team. " :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
I tried twice today to phone up and pay the difference to get a better condition one (which they can find in the warehouse). After 5 minutes in a queue you get dumped to an answer phone, not great when even the sales line is too busy to take your money.

Name
Les
Edit My Images
No
I tried twice today to phone up and pay the difference to get a better condition one (which they can find in the warehouse). After 5 minutes in a queue you get dumped to an answer phone, not great when even the sales line is too busy to take your money.
They always claim to be really busy- if they keep up this level of service, they won't be busy for long :)

Edit My Images
Yes
I've had good service up until my last transaction a few weeks ago, put a body in PX for a camera and lens, the camera turned up but not the lens!! they had about 10 in stock of that lens too. Why not contact me (they had both my email and mobile number) and offer a replacement if there had been a problem, instead they just shipped out the camera body and let me sort out the mess. Three unanswered emails to my 'dedicated adviser' (is that some sort of joke?), they just didn't seem bothered at all and I had to demand a refund in the end. Terrible customer service.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I feel MPB seems to be getting a real bashing unnecessarily lately. I've had several items of them without any major issues.

true I want to have a minor accessory was missing from an item which was within the description. Easily sold one quick phone call and it was out to me in a day or two.

Hardly worth getting shirty on internet forum about

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
I feel MPB seems to be getting a real bashing unnecessarily lately. I've had several items of them without any major issues.

true I want to have a minor accessory was missing from an item which was within the description. Easily sold one quick phone call and it was out to me in a day or two.

Hardly worth getting shirty on internet forum about

Maybe you'd feel differently if you'd had bad service recently?

I've experienced it too but there's no point in re-typing it on this thread.

I just won't shop there again.

And I'll advise all my photo friends to do the same. In fact I have.

You're reputation's only as good as you're last experience.

Edit My Images
No
You're reputation's only as good as you're last experience.
I have bought and sold using MPB and generally my experience was 'okay'.
However there has been a dramatic change ... a few years ago they were the recommended dealer here and it was rare indeed to hear any negatives but recently there seems to be numerous problems, payments, equipment, valuations.
One bad experience, if properly dealt with, doesn't harm but when you start to get a reputation for poor service it's easy to lose everything you have worked for.

Edit My Images
No
To some people, the extra few ££ may not be worth the potential mither, and peace of mind and a hassle-free transaction is more important.
Wise words. The thing I do these days is to check the "Sold" listings on ebay to see what prices are really being obtained. It can be quite illuminating. Some stuff I part exchanged with MPB recently was actually selling for less than the allowance MPB gave me! :wideyed:

nandbytes

I owe Cobra some bacon
Edit My Images
Yes
Frankly I'm amazed that @mpb.com aren't responding to this thread.

Says it all really.
I personally think its wise not to reply. I mean what would you expect them to reply with. Apologise one by one or thank one by one?
The only issue here is one OP started the thread with and they have replied to and taken up with him directly. The rest is just forum chat which they rightly don't get involved with.

@OP: why not simply return the item if you were unhappy with the condition. The distant selling act pretty good!

OP
scottishmonkey
Name
Derek
Edit My Images
No
MPB have sorted this. Got the correct cap and a pouch, which they didn't have to do. Also get money off next purchase. Means I need to use them to max it out but only what a lot of other retailers do.

I (mis)read 'original packaging' as all the bits from new. I think it's worth either stating everything that is included or photographing it (if they can find a camera :p). Some of us need the manuals or want all the bits. I'll know to ask next time

Name
Warren
Edit My Images
Yes
My MPB experience:

I "sold" a D800 to them. All boxed up, correctly labeled and collected by their courier

2 days later and by complete chance someone in my local area received by camera and was honest enough to ring me from details inside. I raised this with MB obviously very annoyed and they didnt give 2 hoots.

I would be very careful. everyone has different experiences but in terms of buying equipment I would always go by the pictures used to sell the item. Take screens shots as evidence if required. If they dont detail it or show it then its likely not included.

That said original packaging could mean just the box or everything you would have expected in the box plus the box if purchased new

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I must admit I've had good dealings with MPB, I have give them an honest description of my gear and always been paid as such as no "haggling" back from them. Purchases have been good again with their descriptions being right.
Now here's the but. I made a trade enquiry about my gear against a D5. I was given a price which I thought was fair and a day later went to go through with it and the D5 was gone. But then days, in fact weeks later I kept getting emails about going ahead with the trade. For what? The D5 had gone. So I ignored them.
When I asked for information about a 500mm f4 VR lens they were selling, it took 4 days for them to get back to me in which time the lens had been sold. Then again I got emails ablut asking if I was interested in the lens, even though it wasn't available.
Now I work in the online industry and if I replied to my customers as late as they did, we would lose customers and I wasn't impressed with the responses lately and I think they need to buck their ideas up a bit or they will lose customers. It's a shame as like I said they have treated me well and I'm hoping it's just a blip.

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
They went through a decent period of paying out extremely quickly (often the same day as received) but I've just reached the 4th working day without hearing anything since notification of goods received. Within their time frames but much slower than they have been.

When they emailed me to apologise for an error they made with an order recently (and then didn't answer their phone line when I tried to speak to them, twice) they did say they were 'extremely busy' at the moment.

I've also noticed they've found the camera I ordered which they subsequently lost, as the same SKU has been relisted on their website at the same price with the same photos.

Last edited:
OP
scottishmonkey
Name
Derek
Edit My Images
No
MPB have sorted this
Belay that...

Tried to cash in on their offer. Asked to contact them to take advantage, so I did. That was 10 days ago.

I've tried again today but i would be wise not to hold my breath.

OP
scottishmonkey
Name
Derek
Edit My Images
No
Belay that belay...

Item on it's way at reduced price and with free delivery.

Whilst it's always exciting to get new kit, a little part of me is more excited to see if it is the correct bit of kit :LOL:

badlywornroy

I am not macho
Name
Roy
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone answer this please ?

Do MPB 'Lay away' for a limited period ?
I have today sent in some equipment. They have a camera (only one) that I probably want subject to my equipment quote being accepted.
Will they reserve this for me ?
I have tried ringing but cannot get through ?

Ta

AZ6

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Bought a few lenses off MPB,and they've been good each time, except for a 70-200mm Nikon lens I bought; the one I 'bought' was described as 'near mint', but the one I actually received was nowhere near that. In fairness, they did sort it out and exchange it for me, for one that was 'near mint', but it was annoying. I'd imagine equipment is labelled properly, and whilst I accept that Human Error™ can happen, it did leave me wondering if someone was trying to mug me off with a lower value item. Not saying this is the case, but it sowed the seed of doubt in my mind, and I'm not sure if I'd use MPB again tbh. I'd definitely not sell anything to them, because the prices they offer are a joke. Rather pay 10% Ebay fees and still get a lot more. And some of the stories on here aren't exactly helping to restore their brand image.

mpb.com

Advertiser
Edit My Images
No
@scottishmonkey apologies once again for the issue here and we hope you’re satisfied with the resolution, please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any other questions.

This applies to everyone, and you can reach us by DM here on the forum - we will be checking our inbox regularly.

To address the suggestion that we may have become too big to focus on details - I’d like to assure everyone this couldn’t be further from the case. We have always and will continue to rely on repeat business and word of mouth recommendations, so we take every instance of a bad experience very seriously. As we’ve grown, we haven’t had the resources to be as active on this forum as we’d like, but this will change as of April.

All feedback (whether positive or negative) reaches every team in the company, and we are constantly reassessing our processes to ensure we’re doing everything possible to avoid mistakes.

Thank you all for the feedback in this thread, we appreciate all the support and trust we have had from this community over the many years and will make every effort to continue to earn it.