Mrs. Chuckles

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
How to photograph an excellent 'people' photographer and not feel intimidated? That's been problem for years with this lovely lady.

Not technically perfect and I'm not bothered overly at the shadows..... these were pretty much 'grab' shots as we were walking around Nostell Priory gardens on Thursday. Would fill-in flash have helped? Dunno - happy enough with these though.

At Nostell Priory 7 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

At Nostell Priory 3 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Would fill-in flash have helped?

Yes by reducing the difference between the shadows
and the opened daylight. If this would be more pleasing
in another question.

Better, IMO, would have been to manage the shadows.
Suggesting Mrs Model :) to turn in a given direction is
a common thing.

What I like is that she looks at ease (even playing coquette)
this is quite cool and refreshing. Next time you shoot her,
pick a BG at her niveau! ;)

@Kodiak Qc

Thanks Daniel. I know exactly what you mean.

She hasn't been quite this relaxed for ages and was having a good time in the gardens amongst the gorgeous flowers with sunshine and a 'Lensbaby' (which she hasn't used in a while).

I spotted this blistered paint gateway with a bench in front of it - I asked her to come over and sit down and I'll takes some photos.... so, as you can see, it all happened quite spontaneously and I tried to make the best of it - totally unplanned and unrehearsed. I did think of adding a bit of Fill-in but I think the moment would've gone (and I only had the on-board flash with me)

Last edited:
It's great you caught your Mrs relaxed and you now have some memories captured (I know how difficult it can be to capture memories of people who aren't fond of being photographed).

So the lesson for the future is the light is more important than location. I don't look for good backgrounds, I look for the good light, then try to find the best background - also remember separation, that gate would have looked better further behind the subject. I can see the aim, the execution required 10 seconds more thinking time.

Back