Mrs Duck

Getting there! it helps that you also have a good bit of light. As mentioned on your previous threads, you need to try and get the shutter speed up for wildlife shots. Looking at your EXIF on Flickr the SS is still only 1/80 which is stil slow if hand holding. Try at a minimum of your lens length plus the crop of the camera. eg 300mm lens plus 1.5 crop so multiply 300 x 1.5 = 450 so set shutter speed of 1/450.(y)

Last edited:
Getting there! it helps that you also have a good bit of light. As mentioned on your previous threads, you need to try and get the shutter speed up for wildlife shots. Looking at your EXIF on Flickr the SS is still only 1/80 which is stil slow if hand holding. Try at a minimum of your your lens length plus the crop of the camera. eg 300mm lens plus 1.5 crop so multiply 300 x 1.5 = 450 so set shutter speed of 1/450.(y)
thank you,I will try next time

Good advice from Simon. Looking at the image you can see the duck is turning as you took the shot. The slow shutter has caught the blur of movement in the duck.

Even if you think you can hold the camera steady - you cannot control the movement of a scared living thing.

It's all a big learning curve :) keep at it and it does get easier.

Dave.

Last edited:
swimming by claypole 55,
This was a faster Shutter speed,
  • ƒ/5.0
  • 160.0 mm
  • 1/400

See the difference with the higher shutter speed, you have frozen the dog and water movement by increasing the SS. Keep practising with the higher SS and you will see a big improvement in your wildlife photos. It's also good to try and keep the focus on the eye if you can.

Easier said than done but I know wot you mean

Easier said than done but I know wot you mean

I know it's not easy, I have only started to get into bird photography over the last 6 months or so. With the help from these sections and members I can see my shots improving, particularly with composition. You'll get there and I can see the improvements over your blackbird photos from a few weeks ago.. Keep at it, your going in the right direction.

Thank you both, things are starting to make sense now

Back