Much insect life about this time of year?

Name
Si
Edit My Images
Yes
Posting here as there isn't a separate 'Talk macro and close-up' section. Is there much in the way of insect life around to photograph at this time of year? I normally start much later on when Damselflies, etc. are around, but thinking I may be missing out.

Not that I've seen. In my greenhouse (which is quite large and heated) I've seen a couple of caterpillars, flies and greenfly.
I did see a couple of weeks ago, went the sun was out, a Peacock butterfly warming itself up on one of my house walls. At the time I thought this was really quite early in the year for it to be out and about. By the time I'd got my camera, it was gone.

Not that I've seen. In my greenhouse (which is quite large and heated) I've seen a couple of caterpillars, flies and greenfly.
I did see a couple of weeks ago, went the sun was out, a Peacock butterfly warming itself up on one of my house walls. At the time I thought this was really quite early in the year for it to be out and about. By the time I'd got my camera, it was gone.

Well at least it doesn't sound like I'm missing anything much just yet! :)

I'm a good 100 miles north of you, so I suspect it'll be a good few weeks yet before there's much around. Funny, I was photographing Butterflies in Anglesey this time last year

For my sins, I do a monthly survey of riverfly larvae (basically Sedgeflies, caddis flies, olive upwings and stoneflies) and many of the larvae I counted on Thursday are very close to becoming adults. There were also quite a few midges in the air around my stream. These emerge as adults most months of the year.

Seen a couple of bumble-bees in one of our camellias earlier today. Then it started snowing. That is in Devon though so a few hundred more miles South!

Well at least it doesn't sound like I'm missing anything much just yet! :)

I'm a good 100 miles north of you, so I suspect it'll be a good few weeks yet before there's much around. Funny, I was photographing Butterflies in Anglesey this time last year

Yea, this time last year Anglesey was bathed in sunshine and about 12 degrees warmer than it is just now :( No butterflies about at the moment and they would be shredded by the wind if hey were......

For my sins, I do a monthly survey of riverfly larvae (basically Sedgeflies, caddis flies, olive upwings and stoneflies) and many of the larvae I counted on Thursday are very close to becoming adults. There were also quite a few midges in the air around my stream. These emerge as adults most months of the year.

I have to say that doesn't sound much fun this time of year! Sounds like it won't be too long though until we start to see more insect life about

Seen a couple of bumble-bees in one of our camellias earlier today. Then it started snowing. That is in Devon though so a few hundred more miles South!

Not sure quite how far behind we are up here TBH, probably a few weeks if not a month or more. Just starting to see Snowdrops, Crocuses and Daffodils up here over the last couple of weeks. We did have the odd bumblebee around a few weeks ago before the constant barrage of storms began. Be nice if we got some reasonable weather to make it more tempting to leave the house!

Last edited:
Yea, this time last year Anglesey was bathed in sunshine and about 12 degrees warmer than it is just now :( No butterflies about at the moment and they would be shredded by the wind if hey were......

Just looked and it was Feb half-term last year at Plas Newydd House on the Menai Strait

Painted Lady butterfly by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Amazing the difference a year makes!

Last edited:
Back