Scotland Mull - Scotland

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, We are going on our annual 2 week pilgrimage to the highlands of Scotland over Easter and have not been to the Isle of Mull before and want to do the Mull Charter trip for Sea Eagles, how many of you on here have done it and any tips on both the trip or if they do different trips which is best ? We plan to get the first ferry to Tobermory and the last one back to the mainland so might have time for some other activities ? Also toying with the idea of doing a few days on Mull just depends how much free time we have this year.

I went with Sea Life Surveys, the boat includes a marine biologist as part of the crew. Excellent, knowledgable and very friendly crew.

Having done both I can recommend Mull Charters out of Ulva Ferry

Turned up with my 400mm bazooka and wished I’d had about 80mm

The eagles know the boat’s coming and where the fish will land

And it’s about 10’ from the boat

Great day out

Also can strongly recommend the trip to the fabulous bird colonies on Lunga and you can get to land at Fingal’s Cave on the same trip

Dave

I went with Sea Life Surveys, the boat includes a marine biologist as part of the crew. Excellent, knowledgable and very friendly crew.
Thank you Gordon, I think we are going to stay with Mull Charters as have been in regular contact with them and follow them on Facebook, everyone seems really happy who have been with them

Never been to Mull but would like to see pics
Hopefully I will have some pics to post when we return :)

Having done both I can recommend Mull Charters out of Ulva Ferry

Turned up with my 400mm bazooka and wished I’d had about 80mm

The eagles know the boat’s coming and where the fish will land

And it’s about 10’ from the boat

Great day out

Also can strongly recommend the trip to the fabulous bird colonies on Lunga and you can get to land at Fingal’s Cave on the same trip

Dave

Yeah he did say 600mm would be lucky if I could just about get an eye or a claw ! I will be taking a 70-200 and 200-500 plus 300 prime but sounds like the 70-200 will be the one for the day us depends on weather and sea state I guess

Forgot to thank you all for replying too it was really appreciated, its only 5 more “sleeps” we feel like kids at Christmas even though its our 6th Easter in Scotland it just gets more special for us each time we go

Have a great time Adam

I am so jealous - been exploring further north on recent trips and you have me thinking it's about time I returned to Mull

seriously - you need to fit the 70-200 at the wide end and keep your eye on where the boatman throws the fish

Mull is simply spectacular and I can recommend a day out with Ewan - lovely bloke who cares about the critters - naturescotland.com

we had a couple of days with him and saw around a dozen eagles and a pair of hen harriers (which was a highlight)

Only 11 sleeps till Harris!

Dave

Have a great time Adam

I am so jealous - been exploring further north on recent trips and you have me thinking it's about time I returned to Mull

seriously - you need to fit the 70-200 at the wide end and keep your eye on where the boatman throws the fish

Mull is simply spectacular and I can recommend a day out with Ewan - lovely bloke who cares about the critters - naturescotland.com

we had a couple of days with him and saw around a dozen eagles and a pair of hen harriers (which was a highlight)

Only 11 sleeps till Harris!

Dave
I have contacted Ewan might have a trip out with him while there :)

Last edited:
Nice Robin. We went out last Saturday and I have posts up on wild and free :) Martin and Alex were superb hosts with so much knowledge

Is it almost guaranteed that you will see eagles, certainly looks like it?

Are the ferries and the boat at the mercy of the weather or do they tend to go regardless?

And finally, it is a day trip or is an overnight stay more relaxed?

Apologies for the questions, but I am very tempted although it is a long way from Berkshire.

Great pictures.

Is it almost guaranteed that you will see eagles, certainly looks like it?

Are the ferries and the boat at the mercy of the weather or do they tend to go regardless?

And finally, it is a day trip or is an overnight stay more relaxed?

Apologies for the questions, but I am very tempted although it is a long way from Berkshire.

Great pictures.

We were staying in Acharacle which meant we could drive to Lochaline for the ferry to Fishnish (8:45 landing at 9:03) this gives just enough time to drive through Salen then onto Ulva Ferry landing where Mull Charters goes from, next time we would like to stay on Mull and Martin also runs a B&B in Salen and would probably stay there and look to do a couple of days out with him.

Eagles never guaranteed but he has had the best start to a season yet with a new pair set up on Loch Na Keal

Adam
you need to post some of your shots on here to let us see
also what lens did you use ? was it dx or ff body ?

Robin great shots
what lens and body did you use and what focal length
i was unable to get the info from the pics

Nice Robin. We went out last Saturday and I have posts up on wild and free :) Martin and Alex were superb hosts with so much knowledge

....I was on the same trip and spoke to you both on the boat and on the quay (I was driving 'Black Beauty' < a big black BMW X5 M). You had a brunette 'spotter' with you? And drive an Audi? [I'm into cars].

I wasn't happy with my results on the Saturday - Just circumstances of poor light and too many people in the way (unintentionally!) - Sunday was better.

Robin great shots
what lens and body did you use and what focal length
i was unable to get the info from the pics

....Canon 100-400mm L II on 7D Mark II and mostly at 300mm.

I don't hide my camera info on my Flickr pages as some folks do and so don't understand why it wasn't displayed.

Thanks for the compliment - Always appreciated.

....I was on the same trip and spoke to you both on the boat and on the quay (I was driving 'Black Beauty' < a big black BMW X5 M). You had a brunette 'spotter' with you? And drive an Audi? [I'm into cars].

I wasn't happy with my results on the Saturday - Just circumstances of poor light and too many people in the way (unintentionally!) - Sunday was better.
Ah its such a small world ! I did think about booking again in the week when the sun was out but just ran out of time, just drove back today (think I picked up a ticket on M6 with a camera van on overhead gantry tucked tight on right hand side :( )

Back