Scotland Mull- wildlife

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

Long shot - I'm booked into a cottage on Mull for 2 weeks next May

I'm after wildlife - such as the White tailed sea eagle/ Otters etc etc - any location pointers would be gratefully received

Cheers in advance

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Les you can't beat a trip on lady Jane for the white tailed eagles. at salen there is pull in along the side of the road where you can see them perched in the trees also golden eagles opposite on the other side were you see the two mountains. flying around also there is a great spot at grass point for all kinds of wildlife there is a pull in just park up and watch and wait harriers eagles otters . One of the best places for otters is on the camp site on your just as you get off the ferry to your left .enjoy great place

Hi Les you can't beat a trip on lady Jane for the white tailed eagles. at salen there is pull in along the side of the road where you can see them perched in the trees also golden eagles opposite on the other side were you see the two mountains. flying around also there is a great spot at grass point for all kinds of wildlife there is a pull in just park up and watch and wait harriers eagles otters . One of the best places for otters is on the camp site on your just as you get off the ferry to your left .enjoy great place

where can I find Lady Jane ? - I'm staying near Tobermory, I did find grass point thank you

Les

where can I find Lady Jane ? - I'm staying near Bunessan south west of the island, I did find grass point thank you

Les

Looks like this one to me ;)

http://www.mullcharters.com/ their vessel is the Lady Jayne

PS I really need to add a trip including this to my bucket list :)

Martin and his son Alex from Mull Charters are just brilliant you need to advance book as they are very busy and if you can I would book more than one trip it was so enjoyable and the encounters with the WTSE's are incredible

I would also look at a guide too as Mull has at least one really good wildlife guide again would need booking, I never had chance but all the reports I see are very good and usually guaranteed otter encounters plus various bird of prey that are resident on Mull, think they even do night sky sessions too, I am very jealous of your trip already but as we are in process of buying a new house and moving all our holidays are on hold for the next year

Loch na Keal is a good place for both eagles and otters. You will pointers as to where they are on a given day by the group of photographers/birders congregating and looking in one direction.

where can I find Lady Jane ? - I'm staying near Bunessan south west of the island, I did find grass point thank you

Les
I stayed at one of three bungalows on Suidhe Farm, first morning stood in the kitchen cooking breakfast and watched a Golden Eagle. Wildlife aplenty in the area!

There are located on the main road from craignure to salen on the left .they sail from ulva ferry and sails around the area brilliant experience there is also a hide on way down to fishnish ferry. it's on the right just before the ferry anything possible there crossbills otters eagles etc etc the list goes on enjoy

Hi Les.
Another vote for " Mull Charters" Ring and book your date. If through bad weather they don't sail they will allow you to re book. The Sea eagles come really close to the boat. Great trip. Its that good that you might book again.
Otters are also plentiful at the Mull Charters set off point. Just go and sit on the headland to the left of the pier on an evening when all the comings and goings are over.
Also for Otters, The south bank of Loch Na Keal is very good. Drive up scanning the rocks as you go, you will see places that you can pull in.
Another great spot for Otter is the camp site you can see as you approach Craignure [the ferry terminal] Turn left when you get off the ferry and its signposted on your left.
Hope you have a great trip.

Wow thanks guys for such amazing replies - all noted :)

Les

Mull is faboulos

love it

we've stayed a few times at Ardtun on the Ross of Mull

another endorsement for Mull Charters

and one for a lovely bloke called Ewan Miles trading as Nature Scotland

he's passionate and inspriational

and if you are there when they meet, drop in on the island's photography club - a lovely bunch of people

http://mullthroughthelens.org.uk

Dave

Mull is faboulos

love it

we've stayed a few times at Ardtun on the Ross of Mull

another endorsement for Mull Charters

and one for a lovely bloke called Ewan Miles trading as Nature Scotland

he's passionate and inspriational

and if you are there when they meet, drop in on the island's photography club - a lovely bunch of people

http://mullthroughthelens.org.uk

Dave

Thank you Dave - I have a cottage booked for 2 weeks just outside Tobermory- I have booked 2 separate days with Mull Charters and 2 separate days with a wildlife photographic guide- He's called Andrew. Seems to know his stuff link - https://wildlifeonmull.co.uk/ I going in my Landrover Discovery 3 - so getting around should be a doddle :)

@crieffy might be able to help

I doubt it he doesn't live on Mull - He lives on Shetland :) but thank you

Les

Thank you Dave - I have a cottage booked for 2 weeks just outside Tobermory- I have booked 2 separate days with Mull Charters and 2 separate days with a wildlife photographic guide- He's called Andrew. Seems to know his stuff link - https://wildlifeonmull.co.uk/ I going in my Landrover Discovery 3 - so getting around should be a doddle :)

I doubt it he doesn't live on Mull - He lives on Shetland :) but thank you

Les

Well bugger me i thought they were close for some reason guess i need to get a geography lesson :facepalm::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Very nice

Just factor in plenty of driving time

Craignure to Tobermory is fine but going anywhere else involves quite a detour

But I am sure you’ll love it

Dave

Thanks Dave it's the landie or my BMW 530 M Sport . I know which will be better for rough stuff :)
Les
Just because most of the roads are single track with passing places, does not mean they will be rough. The roads are quite good.
Whatever you drive up in you will enjoy the place.

Just because most of the roads are single track with passing places, does not mean they will be rough. The roads are quite good.
Whatever you drive up in you will enjoy the place.

Thank you John- I'll still take the Discovery 3 for parking on roads side verges etc - I don't think my BMW would do so well at that :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Les

Back