multiple exposures

Edit My Images
No
Hi, ive been set a college task to do some experimental photography and i wanted to do multiple exposures on slide film. I have a nikon f90 camera but read that i couldnt do this with that camera. I can only think its because the camera automatically fowards to the next frame. So to solve this problem, i thought i could shoot (and note down) my first exposures, then rewind the film, use that little tool to pull your film out, reload and reshoot on top. i also understand i'd have to halve my exposures or rate my film etc.

would this work or am i going to waste a film lol?

any tips would be great
cheers
charlie

am i going to waste a film lol?

I thought that would be a given :LOL:

Re-winding and positioning is not really an option as you won't be able to re-position
the film accurately enough. Alsolso it means more chance of screwing it up.

If you are doing your own developing then you could take all of the shots you want to
multi expose (at suitable under exposure settings), using a tripod and not moving the camera between shots. What you then do is sandwich the negs together or expose each neg on the final sheet.

Interesting post!

Time was I just wouldn't have bought a camera which didn't have double exposure facility... I loved messing about with that stuff. Nowadays it's pretty redundant as minor miracles can be achieved with digital in Photoshop. :shrug:

However.. you've been set the task, so you need a way the 'cheat' the film winding mechanism.

Your camera will probably have a rewind button on the bottom which you press so that you can rewind the film into the canister. It sounds like the camera has powered film advance? This makes it a bit awkward ... you'll need to find some way of pressing that rewind button in and keeping it in as you take your first shot. This disengages the film drive sprocket and the shutter should reset without winding the film on. In a worst case scenario the film may move just very slightly but not enough to affect your final result.

Things would be much easier with a manual wind camera. What sort of camera is it?

Duh! F90X. I had one of those .... good camera. You might be snookered Charlie. I can't remember what the rewind arrangement was, but I think it was pretty automated, you just pulled out a lever to rewind?

If you can beg borrow or otherwise acquire any old lever wind SLR with a rewind button on the bottom then the cheat is do-able. :)

Should be a piece of cake with the K1000. Take your first shot, press in the rewind button and keep it pressed while you wind on. :)

If you can find a nice black backround, one of the things you can try is ...

Tape off exactly half the lenshood using insulating tape or something similar so you have a vertical edge down the centre of the lens - one half masked off - the other blanked. Take a pic of someone over to one side of the frame. Do your wind on cheat then revolve the lenshood so the other side is blanked off. Move your subject to the other side and take your second shot. Keep the aperture large to hide the join between the two shots as much as possible.

You can have two shots of the same person arguing playing cards, all sorts of possibilities. :)

Let us see the result! (y)

lol, just realised my idea might not come across as expected, i meant i could half the lens like you said, then shoot half of someones face, then switch it around and shoot another half face, i could even do that with the same person but make them do differnt expressions....

possibilities are endless...!

Wouldnt it be possible with slow film, a relatively small aperture and a dark room to have the camera on a tripod and open the shutter in bulb mode then flick the lights on and off change places and flick the light on again.

This is comming from somebody who has only shot a handfull of film rolls on an SLR though so what im saying might be nonsence :)

Wouldnt it be possible with slow film, a relatively small aperture and a dark room to have the camera on a tripod and open the shutter in bulb mode then flick the lights on and off change places and flick the light on again.

This is comming from somebody who has only shot a handfull of film rolls on an SLR though so what im saying might be nonsence :)

Yes,that would work, although getting the exposures right would be a bit of a malarky.

Another technique is to use 'open flash'. The camera is on a tripod with the shutter on 'B'. In dark or very low light conditions, the tog then walks around firing the flash by hand as many times as is required to light up the scene ....literally 'painting with light'. Because the tog is constantly moving he wont register on film.

This technique is often used to photograph the scene of road accidents on unlit roads.

ooo thank you, it was very interesting and definatlety an option! ive just posted a thread in the camera forum i dunno if you can help me out with or not? its about a konica minolta x-370s...

thanks for all your help!

charlie

Been meaning to try some stuff like this for a long time - especially the painting with light. Will be interested to see what you manage to produce Charlotte :) Sounds fun though!

/me toddles off to find his old K1000

Back