Critique Muntjac buck

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
I feel I framed too high ,I was trying to show scale 'cause they really are proper short dumpy folks:) bless. Rare to catch them in so so little cover, plus luvverly light............so I feel I blew this for a bit o sky if i'm honest. mind I did do it at the time very deliberately hmmm.

Hey ho fella had a lady on his mind,dropped his guard a bit;) . Is it me ,or are munties incredibly well sighted,: deer spot long range moves sure,but maybe these are sharper than our roe or fallow, anyway , they really are sharp!!

Taken back in may with my old brick 1div while it was too hot to do anything other than stake out hares and roll a few yards 'ere and there. Good litte spot we are in deep shade sitting low on those little chairs a godsend for being lazy but still having a ball with some beasties . Hand held I've just sharpened him a gnats he almost looks stuck on sooc

1.4 ext ii and 400 DO 1/2000 f 8 iso 3200. I dunno guys tis a lovely scene a magical little moment,but I've spent a while and I think I've just plaid too safe exp wise image feels wrong.... too noisy............WDYT?? It might be me I'm battered.but somethings bugging me,lovely chance :)

_70F9978 smj munty buck by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

stu

Lovely capture opportunity and great to see it ... size comparison works.
Very noisy/busy background which doesn't help ... did you need 1/2000th?

Echo what Roger says. It's not the best image but the little chap does have a lovely expression. That's what you capture - I've said it before. I don't think I've ever seen a muntjac. My partner used to see them when he worked over in Hertfordshire.

I've rarely seen Muntjac Stu and when I have, its usually the ar*e end just disappearing into the undergrowth :banghead: so well done on getting the shot (y)

Yes, its a tad tight along the bottom and all that space above doesn't work for me, have you tried a few different crops so it sits better in frame?

Lovely capture opportunity and great to see it ... size comparison works.
Very noisy/busy background which doesn't help ... did you need 1/2000th?

Probably not Roger,on the SS it's a fair point, to make buddy. That said I probably wouldn't drop much lower if I had the chance again.I do tend to favour the faster ss and higher iso option.. I do it because I don't want to get motion blur if something fun happens........., it's how I've been taught I guess mate . It's interesting roger I posted a little grebe yonks back here which folks quite liked I posted it eslewhere and a certain Mr Morris had a chat with me about motion blur even at 1/3200 Artie could see it .

Roger over time I think I'll continue to hone my techs,I don't in anyway feel I'm there yet,still so much to learn. But I suspect the grounding i've been given and the ethos of pushing iso to get high SS will stay with me ,naturally this new camera is going to make that side even easier.. Which ever way it goes I'm chuffed with your comments keep me thinking bro

you always do:)

thank you
Echo what Roger says. It's not the best image but the little chap does have a lovely expression. That's what you capture - I've said it before. I don't think I've ever seen a muntjac. My partner used to see them when he worked over in Hertfordshire.

Hey Janny thanks for the lovely bit, you arre very kind. I simply think I didn't make the best of the situation. sometimes one thinks something through and it works ,sometimes, as here not so much,sadly. I'm good with it though Janny I learnt a bit more from this attempt,I got the doe too ,but sadly made the same choice re framing.

I don't know how far munties are into the SW Jan,we can't recollect ever seeing them down south. Here they are all around me,I have them at home.... where I go for the fallow........ where I go for the hares.. All said and done I don't do too bad with me deer stalking Jan. They are tough cookies,damn they are sharp they don't miss a trick,I can take liberties with a roe or wild fallow that this little guy will have none of. I have no idea on their impact on our ecosystem..

h
I've rarely seen Muntjac Stu and when I have, its usually the ar*e end just disappearing into the undergrowth :banghead: so well done on getting the shot (y)

Yes, its a tad tight along the bottom and all that space above doesn't work for me, have you tried a few different crops so it sits better in frame?

Cheers for the reply Phil,it's either ambush or you spot first and do one hell of a stalk. If that stalk is not absolutely bang on the nail then yup butt shot it is:D Phil just think about what gets posted here deer wise.......... reds and fallow in deer parks,pretty frequently especially at rutt time and almost all tame deer............. fallow follow a simialar pattern. roe are posted now and again by two set of togs one the guys that get lucky,and two the guys whom deliberately try for them. Now and again a muntjac is shown, massive ears and those eyes are hard to outwit.

Mate image is full frame,being utterly honest I don't feel I can crop, My guts are saying the exp was not far enough to the right image is too noisy and the IQ won't hold up

I will just own the fact that I got it wrong,but in this case a very delib choice that didn't pan out as opposed to me just cocking it up;)

Thanks guys

Back