Muntjac deer portrait

Well captured image Russ

A few years ago, Scottish Natural Heritage issued a "Shoot On Sight" call after Muntjac were spotted in the Scottish Borders.
Something to do with the damage they could cause.
Not sure if its still in place nowadays.

Cheers Mike :)

- …. Not heard about that; and they appear to be such gentle creatures, too!

Russ

Copy and Pasted from The Times

"They devour native woodland plants, destroy vital bird habitats and can go berserk if unleashed on a suburban garden.
Such is the threat posed by muntjac deer that the guardian of Scotland’s Natural Heritage has revealed that up to 10 sightings of the mammal — known as the “asbo bambi” — are vigorously investigated every year to prevent it gaining a foothold north of the border."

And also here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-18884795

That's a real beauty Russ and rare ...very rare to get one come so close...without the aid of a baited hide that is. I know one( baited hide) local to me at a garden center Russ,. they leave all the restaurant scraps out for the deer and birds,munty and fallow come so close there it's silly. would you tell me a bit more about how you got this please bro ...

lovely frame buddy really lovely !!

stu

Hi Stu, glad you like it :)
….would you tell me a bit more about how you got this please bro
- No baiting involved here of course; the shot was taken on a visit to RSPB Titchwell a couple of weeks ago. I was attempting to get some shots of their resident Water Rail, and then this beauty showed up - nearly on the end of my lens! Right place, right time for a change!

Russ

Ahh........were you in a hide Russ??......................I have half a hunch the deer at that spot I mentioned were never the intended baitees:) Russ,I think they just cashed in on the bird food,ok gate crashed in;) what amazes me is how tame they are just in that one spot,away from there wild as a wild thing !!

yeah love the image buddy really do. Most definitely right place right time.............. and "you" me old mate............. camera's don't take piccies on their own.

Russ is he a young buck, every thing is saying doe to me but the winter woolies and HA have me struggling . We had a magical weekend with some Roe ,these deer leave me buzzing when really close , muntjac are so sharp Russ, this is a rare chance well taken ..

A moment to treasure and a lovely frame to go with it :) !!

Hi matey - I was out in the open so quite visible to the deer; it just chose to ignore me and half a dozen onlookers! :)

….Russ is he a young buck, every thing is saying doe to me...
- Dunno Stu! - you're the expert in these matters!! (you may remember this time last year I posted a shot of what I thought was a Chinese Water Deer - and you gently corrected me by explaining it was a Muntjac) :)

Russ

Top marks for getting a shot of this muntjac, which seem at least in my neck of the woods, more wary than the roe deer but ever the optimist I am to get more shots of this elusive deer

Top marks for getting a shot of this muntjac, which seem at least in my neck of the woods, more wary than the roe deer but ever the optimist I am to get more shots of this elusive deer
- Cheers Martin, and thanks for your comments - good luck in your quest! :)

Russ

Ha I'm no expert Russ others folks can have that moniker,I just bumble about and bump into 'em, tis all:LOL: Russ i'm very lucky,I've taken long range grab type of shots from our house window of both munty and roe. They are right on my doorstep !! So the little bit I know about deer is really like the hares, mate it's me watching the little blighters . On sunday I /WE watched a Roe buck make his bed.....I thought he was digging up roots or something:rolleyes: ,but no. He scratched the ground clean ( just like a dog does) before lying down for a kip. who knew!!

Did you get any more images Russ?? I asked on sex purely out of curiosity, I have a niggle LMAO

Wow you were out in the open , that's so cool !! As with Martin ,I find them jumpy as hell. they have that, deer, curiosity Russ,but their eye's seems to be amazing at spotting 'erm abberant trees..................................,especially when compared to our native roe.

One to treasure me old mate,especially with you out in the open, brilliant !! :)

Did you get any more images Russ?? I asked on sex purely out of curiosity, I have a niggle LMAO
- no more images I'm afraid, Stu :(
- I did take more but this was the only one with the Muntjac out in the open, and with me on my ageing knees peering to get the best shot through the legs of some onlookers. The things we do to get a shot!

Russ

:LOL:through the legs of onlookers..........man you made me laugh Russ. pricless:LOL:

couldn't make that up:cool:wonderful

Back