Music on websites.

S

Steve

I have a question to the other photographers who may have music that plays on their websites or anyone who has experience in this area.

If I wanted to play some music on my site (through flash) that I've actually heard played on other sites as well what do I do, is it the done thing to contact the publisher and seek permission or are they just not bothered with the small fish that are not selling it on etc. Am I wasting both there’s and my own time?

What do you do to protect yourself from legal issues?

I suppose I could search for royalty free music as well and spend an age listening to stuff that I have never heard off, am I making a big issue out of nothing by attempting to do the right thing?

Any thoughts or advice people?

1) Music on websites annoys people immensely. Avoid where possible. It's like people who put big spoilers on little cars. They think it looks cool but it doesn't. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

2) Couldn't hurt to contact the person who holds the rights, unless you're talking about proper commercial music, in which case they'll obviously say no but will never enforce it in reality so you may as well go ahead.

3) Did I mention how annoying music is when crowbarred into a website? It really is. The only sites where it's acceptable are musician's sites, and other sites where the whole point is the music.

If I do add music there will be a off button and it will only be for a certain part of the site (slideshow), any gallery or pictures that you browse will be silent, I will not be forcing it on anyone.

Yes I was thinking of mainstream artists, well established bands etc that their music is instantly recognisible.

Maybe needs a rethink this...

Some of us are older than others...I remember a lot earlier than HeartBeat :)

it depends how old you claim to be as to which Gallery music you mean. With 'Vision On', the penulatimate Gallery music was the brilliant 'Leftbank 2' by the Lance Gambit Trio. It was referred to as "the Gallery theme" by all those on the programme. Another used was 'Cavatina' played by John Williams. Others associated with 'Vision On' were 'Accroche-Toi Caroline!' (Claude Vasori), 'Java' (Al Hirt) and the absolutely unforgettable 'Gurney Slade' by Max Harris.

If you mean 'Take Hart' it is very likely to be either 'Water Buffalo' or 'Maruerite' by Bob Morgan. That said, Kjartan Poskitt created 'No Worries' for the Smart Hart Gallery theme (1989-95) ...

I absolutely hate websites that have music on them. I'm no web designer but I know what I like (and don't like!).

The ones that restart the music every time you load a new page (no matter how many times you turn it off) are the worst culprits.

LOL.... just remembered that a couple of weeks ago I was surfing the net at work (not supposed to be surfing unless its to do with work) not looking for anything inparticular. I clicked on a link from google and the theme tune from Magnum PI came blasting out of my laptop :shock: .... needless to say the whole office stopped and looked at me!!! :whistling :censored:

So to sum it up.... music on websites for us work-surfers is bad!!! LOL!!

Chris.

Thats something else I hadn't thought about and a very valid point as well -- thank you!!!

stepheno said:
Just go to Crumpler's website and you'll be put off for ever. Needless to say I didn't buy one.

regards

I have to admit that even I cannot stand that, it looks and sounds so tacky and amateurish that for a company I am shocked. If there is ever a good example to hammer home a point, that is it. :shock:

Not wishing to buck the trend here, but I LIKE music behind slideshows. When I first used a flash gallery I had a nice bit of Aphex twin playing in the background. The only reason I took it of was due to the fact that I wanted it off by default, with the option to turn it on. Doofus that I am I couldn't work out to do it.

crumpler website sucks

Steve where the hell did yo find that roger moore one?????

EosD said:
Steve where the hell did yo find that roger moore one?????

Too much free time on my hands.... :coat:

Actually I found it from a link from Tony Heart's official website :ponders:

I don't like flash galleries, and come to think of it I don't like music on sites either.

Matt said:
I don't like flash galleries, and come to think of it I don't like music on sites either.

Well it is definately going to be flash for the gallery although music is now likely to be totally optional if at all. The rest of the site will be HTML based though.

I have comerical music on my portfolio site. Currently I'm just winging it :) I did once have comerical music on a comercial site and got told to remove it by some big company. Do I learn from my mistakes? Hell no :) I just try to not get noticed ;) Personally music on photography sites can work well. I look it as a multimedia experience. I chose the music to go with those photos as they complete the slideshow. I spend hours trying to find the right tune. I do hate cheesey midis on stupid sites.

Thats (the second link) exactly the application I am planning to use as my gallery component. Very easy to set up for a novice like me and does exactly what I need. I just need to build the rest of the website around it.

I have to say that a lot of his images of people and places (from his main site link not the gallery) are both inspiring and recognisable to me. Being an ex Manchester lad those landmarks are all too familiar. I also have a sister that lives in Morcombe...not far from Fleetwood and Blackpool so most of those areas I also recognise.

...it's a small world :)

Steve said:
Thats (the second link) exactly the application I am planning to use as my gallery component. Very easy to set up for a novice like me and does exactly what I need. I just need to build the rest of the website around it.
Thats the one I'm also using on my site :D It is brilliant, especially with the plugin for iPhoto. I just pick the photos I want and it does the rest.

It takes Australian humour to use that as a marketing tool.

Here's what I think of it
nards.jpg

Nards.

The most annoying part of flash and music sites is how long they take to load, even when using broadband.

Steve

Get permission

I had a VERY small website that got about three hits a month. I had seven thumbnail images about 88 x 88 pixels from the Matrix. I got a call from the lawyers representing Warner Bros, who said teir client had noticed the images. Someone had obviously dobbed me in, but don't think that no-on will find out. The copyright-holders will be able to backdate any claims for royalties.

I have Flash MX 2004 [or something].

By ze way - what gear do you use to shoot your band shots? I tried a few shots for my son's band tonight but the 50 f/1.8 was struggling and ISO1600 is a tad challenging [also didn't help that there was zero lighting]. I suspect that I'll need a decent flashgun at least. Cheers :)

ISO1600 :eek: Sounds like it was just really really dark. I've never had to use ISO1600 before. I'd never use a flash either, it kills the light (what little there is) :)

FlashMX2004 will be fine for SlideShowPro.

Cheers. It was very dark and full of sweaty teens. The onboard flash was a tad harsh so for a few pre-gig shots I converted to B & W to help the ISO800: for example, this one of my son before his gig:

I did some band stuff in my teens (C1978 OMG how old am I???) and used Ilford XP-1 rated at 1600ASA (that dates me more than anything else I think) and shot wide-open at about 60th sec. The meter on my Nikon F3 struggled with the constantly changing lighting so I just hoped for the best, believing (rightly) that the light-pools from the stage spots would illuminate the subjects enough.
As it turned out I could have gone to 800ASA, as I subsequently did.
On the strength of those I got a gig with the Oxford Playhouse and spent a season doing all thier publicity stills.
Fool that I was, I turned down a full-time job offer and went to France seeking fame and fortune.
I'm still seeking...

Back