My 2013 round up, 1st year as a semi pro

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
Been a great year for me, became the resident photographer for 2 motocross tracks so have been lucky to have gained great chances to shoot some superb riding and as im self-employed in my main job ive been lucky enough to be able to allow the time to shoot both weekends and weekdays. Have managed to sell quite a large volume of prints and canvases along with downloads, most of the proceeds have gone on upgrading my kit :)

Hoping 2014 is a good year and hope to gain more skills and add more kit to my setup..

heres 12 of my fav shots of 2013, although its hard to choose as i took around 40,000 photos this year !

Happy New year to all...

CW8_9277 copy
by harrylessman, on Flickr

CW8_5689

CW8_5467

CW8_0533

CW8_8503

CW8_8047

Motor bikes are not my thing, but these are very fine images of riders at work!

Thanks fellas, i appreciate all the comments

fast shutter speeds are because im mostly working when taking these shots so cant risk loosing many shots just to get the one good one for me to keep, compared to some pro MX togs ive come across my shutter speeds are slow..

anyway heres a few more from 2013

CW8_5456-2

CW8_5035

CW8_5949

CW8_5303

CW8_6070

18 and recently started covering some events for a 4x4 company, should be doing a lot more of them this year

CW8_1167

I like them but they would be nice with a wee bit wheel/tyre blur.

I think 13 is a cracker.

I like them, but they are nearly all the same. Fast shutter speed with bike on one side of the frame and trail of dust/mud. It's a great shot, but would like to see more variety.

Whilst what you say is true with regard to seeing them as a collection here, the actual intent (I assume) is to sell them to the individual riders (or their families).

In that respect, I don't think anyone who is a subject in one of these photographs would be disappointed with them.

Steve.

Thanks again folks, as Steve says most of these shots where taken with the intent to sell to the riders in them. This year i will get out to some other tracks and take some for myself so will drop the shutter speed and get some more variation. as i think Colin Brister says we end up becoming extreme portrait photographers :)

Mike heres a shot that was taken at the same time as #13

CW8_5458

and heres a shot i took for myself with a slower shutter speed

CW8_3605_2

Slow rarely works for mx, that's pretty much widely accepted in this discipline. It's more akin to athletics than car racing.

I'd accept the comment about variety, but again our friend here is resident tog for two tracks... Most mx tracks don't offer a huge choice of angles unless you seek out some of the more photogenic

Some great images here Harry if I was pick a favourite it would be 9 closely followed by 14. Looking forward to seeing your 2014 images.

Whilst what you say is true with regard to seeing them as a collection here, the actual intent (I assume) is to sell them to the individual riders (or their families).

In that respect, I don't think anyone who is a subject in one of these photographs would be disappointed with them.

Steve.

Of course, and I didn't say they wouldn't be.

If I was a rider I'd be over the moon with those shots.

Last edited:
Slow rarely works for mx, that's pretty much widely accepted in this discipline. It's more akin to athletics than car racing.

I'd accept the comment about variety, but again our friend here is resident tog for two tracks... Most mx tracks don't offer a huge choice of angles unless you seek out some of the more photogenic

Whilst I've never done motor cross I assume you can take shots in the paddock too?

"paddock" is a slightly different place to at the usual circuits. You don't get the same scenes at all - its usually a transit van with an awning in a field with members of the family drinking tea/beer whilst the bike is on a beer crate being cleaned with a pressure washer!

Its only marginally more glamorous at world level too :D

Definitely the photogenenic bit is the on bike shots!

Our friend here is shooting at practice tracks too - there isn't a race going on, so that limits it even more.

Its still an awesome fun thing to shoot, but its not F1 or even BSB :D

Some great shots there mate. I like them. Thanks for sharing and wish you well for the future.

Thanks again

most MX tracks are more relaxed compared to a race track and some will let you out on track long as you are have a Hi-Vis top, even if you cant get track side then you can normally walk around some of the track perimeter and get decent shots as theres far less fencing etc. However being track side is dangerous as theres nothing between you and the bikes and they are very unpredictable at times. great fun though and not many motorsports that you can get so up close and personal with :)

Seeing stuff like this makes me what to give bikes another try, especially mx. Nice job.

Last edited:
Very nice set with some great roosters

Back