Tutorial My advice for aspiring photographers

Edit My Images
Yes
cjnicolai submitted a new resource:

My advice for aspiring photographers - My advice for aspiring photographers

I wrote this piece a few months ago and thought I'd share it here. I wrote it with portrait/people photographers in mind, but it's largely applicable to every genre. If I were to squeeze a three-day workshop down to five minutes, this is what I'd say. ;)

These are my thoughts, nothing more and nothing less.

I get asked all the time, during workshops, in e-mails, in private messages, what words of wisdom I would give to a new and...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were to squeeze a three-day workshop down to five minutes, this is what I'd say.
If I had three days I would not have been able to write such a well thought out and useful piece of advice. Nice one! (y)

That was very thought provoking and a joy to read. All i could tell anyone in 3 days is nothing, I only know what I like but how I get to it fwuu.

Useful advice but it did read a bit like that sun screen song - Look after you knees, you'll miss them when they're gone ;)

Thank you so much for that :clap::clap:

What a great thought provoking post - as a newbie to the world of photography this has been an inspiration (y)

haveing just suffered a blow to my business and photography and genrally feeling all down in the dumps about it reading that has helped put it all into perspective!

I'd just like to stand up and say (with a straight face) "I am a photographer!" :D

I read this once before but now I think I understand it better its given me a boost to carry on and push myself that extra mile .Thank you.
Bob

- Embrace frustration. It pushes you to learn and grow, broadens your horizons, and lights a fire under you when your work has gone cold. Nothing is more dangerous to an artist than complacence

A lady wise beyond her age and beauty belies.

A very good set of statments/sentiments/rules/guidance

(y)

Thanks, all, and I'm glad the post has been helpful. I have to reread it from time to time myself when I start to veer off course, as we all do from time to time.

- CJ

I'm not sure why I havent thanked you for this post already!

Thankyou :) It's a great confidence booster.

I was talking to someone the other night, who was telling me my children would be good at modelling....and I found it hard to say "I'm a photographer"......Strange isnt it?

Reactions: BMG
Thanks for the advice and Inspiration. :)

Great advice.....

Very inspirational from a new togs point of view...

Love that! Pure brilliance! :D

Some good advice in there! (y)

Cheers CJ

Hey thanks for sharing such sound advice and guidelines.

During the inauspicious circumstances you can bet I'll be reading them over again....and again :)

Many thanks and best wishes!

Great post, and very useful tips here.

It is amazing how old posts get dug-up from the archives and come back to life.

I'm really glad that got dug up. Thanks for taking the time to write that down CJ.

Printed.
Pinned.

Thank you very much indeed.

Excellent from me again; and yes i read it Baz Luhrmann style as well with out even getting to the 2nd post - so its not just me then is it :)

Posted 23/01/07 but never seen it until today! Well done Andy for giving it a bump.

Probably the best post I have ever seen on a forum for the subject.

Made me to have a re-think about myself.

I like this - would like to put parts of this on my classroom wall

Back