My bash at Red Bull X Fighters

chris321

I like the ginger one
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly, it was AWESOME! Or should I say 'super-gnarly' :D

Lighting was, as expected, challenging to put it politely. A mixture of very bright bits, very dark areas, and rapidly moving bikes meant it was never going to be easy though I guess! All of these were taken using a 50D and 70-200. The length was a little short, but the f/2.8 was essential, so I think I made the right choice, and just had to crop a little. It was pushing the limits of my Sigma 70-200 both in terms of AF and sharpness wide open.

However, it was great fun, and I got a few keepers from the ones I took. The ones that are good photographically don't really have much variety in location. I've got plenty that look really cool and will be going on facebook, but they're not great as actual photos. These ones I like, probably because they were taken on the jump closest to me, meaning less cropping, better image quality etc etc. Anyways, enough rambling:

Comments, criticism, questions etc all very much welcome (y)

Chris

Hello Chris,

You've got some good ones there, nice and crisp, it was a tricky event to shoot wasn't it? Looks like you were sat down, same as me, which in itself had its own challenges!

I was shooting with a 200 aswell, started off on manual, but thought that it was going to be to much of a pain so changed to TV. set the iso up to 3200 which seemed to do the trick nicely.

Andy

A good effort chap. I'd crop them more closely if it were me, but that's just more my style.

Looks like stand C? The same one as me, but you were further to the end than I was.

Wow, chris they came out awesome, i got some really good ones aswell, i was perched on the media platform between C and S6, a really good spot if a little challenging due to the megawatt sunlights and the speaker stacks in my way!:wacky:

You played it safe and kept a wider crop on yours, i cropped quite tight and there is some evident noise from shooting ISO 1600 but i was still pleased, i managed to captre the legendary back flip, tsunami by Levi Sherwood and so i was pretty chuffed!

Managed to get to the Rider Mix area as well and see the bikes and some riders and also managed to get into the press conference at the end for some close ups, so all in all a good day!

Feel free to check my pics out, they are on the Facebook page for Freestyle Extreme.

Hello Chris,

You've got some good ones there, nice and crisp, it was a tricky event to shoot wasn't it? Looks like you were sat down, same as me, which in itself had its own challenges!

I was shooting with a 200 aswell, started off on manual, but thought that it was going to be to much of a pain so changed to TV. set the iso up to 3200 which seemed to do the trick nicely.

Andy

Yep, sat down, which made variety a bit lacking. I went for aperture priority, f/2.8, iso 1600, and used the exposure compensation to deal with the darker background. Seemed to do the trick!

A good effort chap. I'd crop them more closely if it were me, but that's just more my style.

Looks like stand C? The same one as me, but you were further to the end than I was.

Yep, stand C it was! I did try with tighter crops, but the image quality just wasn't there really!

It went last year, and you look to have combatted the lighting nicely!

Cheers (y)

Wow, chris they came out awesome, i got some really good ones aswell, i was perched on the media platform between C and S6, a really good spot if a little challenging due to the megawatt sunlights and the speaker stacks in my way!:wacky:

You played it safe and kept a wider crop on yours, i cropped quite tight and there is some evident noise from shooting ISO 1600 but i was still pleased, i managed to captre the legendary back flip, tsunami by Levi Sherwood and so i was pretty chuffed!

Managed to get to the Rider Mix area as well and see the bikes and some riders and also managed to get into the press conference at the end for some close ups, so all in all a good day!

Feel free to check my pics out, they are on the Facebook page for Freestyle Extreme.

I couldn't believe how bright some of those lights were! Very jealous about getting into the media area though :D. Cheers for helping out in the other thread, I'll have a look at your shots tonight (y)

Chris

Awesome. Very challenging shoot for sure. Great keepers there!

Awesome. Very challenging shoot for sure. Great keepers there!

Thanks a lot :D

I've got plenty more too, they're not great photographically but a great reminder of the night. I'd wholeheartedly recommend anyone to go next year (y)

Thanks a lot :D

I've got plenty more too, they're not great photographically but a great reminder of the night. I'd wholeheartedly recommend anyone to go next year (y)

If they sort out the exit procedures properly next time. :LOL:

(I got home about 2:30am, 3.5 hours to do a journey that took just over an hour to do on the way there.)

If they sort out the exit procedures properly next time. :LOL:

(I got home about 2:30am, 3.5 hours to do a journey that took just over an hour to do on the way there.)

Yeah, that did get a little bit interesting when everyone crammed into Vauxhall tube station! I was just getting over to the other side of London and it still took over an hour!

Some real corkers there! #6 being my personal fav! Really impressed with them, a lot of ours are really dark. Super cool event, loved every minute of it, although the best bit was the free red bull in the media lounge :LOL:

Some real corkers there! #6 being my personal fav! Really impressed with them, a lot of ours are really dark. Super cool event, loved every minute of it, although the best bit was the free red bull in the media lounge :LOL:

Ooooh, there was no free red bull for us regular folk :razz: :D

Well if you need a spare photographer for next year, give me a shout, always happy to oblige if there's a chance of entrance to the media lounge (y) :D

Cheers for the comments!

Chris

Yeah, that did get a little bit interesting when everyone crammed into Vauxhall tube station! I was just getting over to the other side of London and it still took over an hour!

Did that even work? :LOL:

The queue wasn't moving at all. I got the train to Waterloo, then planned to get another tube, but just got a taxi to Kings X in the end.

Back