Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
No
Just one from 'My Darkest Woods' series .. I know not to everyone (or anyones) taste .. but hey ho :)

38467018962_6282e47993_z.jpg

Lovely, I like the way the light picks out details into the distance and gives the photo real depth

Ha, I see you have been watching the video .. cheers mate ... I still find Forests and Woodland a complete mystery and rather frustrating ...
Me too. I've a nice little city wood nearby but I haven't got a good shot from there. I cannot compose anything satisfying and even half decent shots don't do anything for me as my processing doesn't add much. I've just subscribed to your channel on the off chance there is a processing tutorial...

Great shot Sir, certainly ticks the boxes for me.(y)

George.

It is to my taste though, lovely. Can you share pointers on the processing or is it your "secret sauce"?

A wee dram was at the forefront of the processing exercise ... wanting to highlight the area to the right of the tree, giving the impression the light from the yellow bush, which to me reminded me of a burning torchlight ... with this in mind there was liberal use of dodging and burning ... I had originally tried split toning but I'm still completely at a loss on that front (most of the time) so instead worked on the greens and yellows in lightroom .

But yeah ... I think the main thing that helped this along was the wee dram ...

'Not to everyone's tastes'....bloody love this.
Beautifully executed.

Thanks, Scott, very much appreciated ... I think it's one of the only very few shots (certainly in the forest) where I was able to realize a vision in the field and get it someway close to what I had hoped for in post ... Still completely baffled by split toning which is how I originally envisaged this one ... but quite pleased with the result ...

I also printed this and must admit am very pleased with how it came out - with just enough shadow detail retaining the depth of the image

A dram......the route of all great processing.....lol.
I find these shots incredibly hard to make work. I'd be well pleased with the results.
What it is your not sure about with split toning? I get asked this question a lot like it's some dark mythical art. It's fairly straight forward as I understand it.

Definitely works for me Nigel. I always struggle with the process of a lone tree or trees still. Can never quite get it the way I visualise even with all the tools to hand. Perhaps I should start drinking a few wee drams and see if that helps :whistle:

Back